HDD malfunctioning on my OS XP Pro x64bit after taking it out

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by t, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. t

    t Guest

    try and check to see if the drive is set to cable sellect. If not then set
    the jumpers to that setting and plug the drive back in and start up

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Can you point in the direction as to where i could find that in the BIOS
    settings?
    If it's no trouble for you...

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 21, 2006
  4. The jumpers are attached to the back of the drive, between the cable and the
    power cable.

    Norman Diamond, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Don't forget - if you set the CS, you should set it for all drives!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 21, 2006
  6. Well i tried the Cable Select with the jumper starters and to no avail i got
    the same result. The Seagate HDD makes a clicking noise and then it gives me
    the error that disk boot cannot be loaded, please insert system disk and
    press enter.
    I even tried to put in my Microsoft XP Pro x64 OS disc to see what would
    happen and it doesn't even read the disc...
    So i'm back to square 1.

    Kind regards and still waiting for more ways to fix my HDD.
    IF anything i'm gonna have to call teh Seagate ppl to check it out with them.
    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 21, 2006
  7. If you move a HD with an installed system ( a bootable disk!) you should
    expect trouble. Not that it can't be done - but you should be carefull not
    to disturb the boot process at the new location - it may be a bit involved,
    depending on the two systems - I cannot make out if you are trying to boot
    that HD with the new machine, or just need it for some data or other? I'd
    suggest you make sure to set your BIOS such that the only the disk you are
    trying to boot appears in the boot order setting.

    If that doesn't help, you can also try pressing [F11] when POST finish, that
    will give you a boot menu if there are more bootable partitions visible to
    the system.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 21, 2006
  8. The HD that i'm having problems with (Seagate one) doesn't have an installed
    system on it. I used it to store data that i couldn't lose in a crash. I'll
    try the F11 to see what comes and if that helps in anyway.

    Thank you BTW for your help! And anybody else who contributed...

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 22, 2006
  9. O.K. - Since there is only data on that disk, I do not think the 'F11' trick
    will help you. I wonder what could be the trouble.

    Are the two machines configured with different HD systems as Boot drives?

    SCSI - SATA - RAID? Something that you are having that your brother does
    not?

    Is that Seagate set up with a Primary Partition? That might confuse the BIOS
    if one or more of the Installed systems is sitting on a logical drive???

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 22, 2006
  10. Well my computer is an AMD 64bit Processor and the computer that he was
    attaching it to was a Pentium 4. Not sure of the specs as i can't get to that
    computer.
    And as for Partitions: Both my harddrives have the Early XP partitions when
    i had 32bit Windows XP Pro installed.
    My main HD has 200GB (i can only use 137) and the Seagate is 160GB (I can
    only use 137)
    The main Harddrive is the C drive so i don't know if that's bad or not.
    If you need any more specs from my PC then let me know so you know what i am
    working with.

    Kind Regards. Sergey P.

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 22, 2006
  11. I must confess, after giving this some thought, I really have no idea what
    is going on. I can only assume that having removed the drive (without
    un-installing it?) the machine thinks it is still missing and that now it is
    a completely new drive that it inserts after leaving some internal space for
    the missing drive. If your Seagate is partitioned as a Primary partition it
    could concieveably be disturbing the boot-order of your machine.

    It boots fine if you leave the Seagate out, you say? O.K. Go have a look
    inside Computer Management and check if the drive is listed there still. And
    if you Boot with the Seagate attached, check your BIOS and make sure that
    only the Boot-drive is listed in the Boot-order, and that if your BIOS has
    such an option - that the Boot-drive is listed as number one of the IDE Hard
    Disks.

    Hope I'm not sounding to confused, 'cause I really am.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 22, 2006
  12. t

    andy Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:17:31 -0800, "Sergey P"
    <> wrote:

    >Well i tried the Cable Select with the jumper starters and to no avail i got
    >the same result. The Seagate HDD makes a clicking noise and then it gives me
    >the error that disk boot cannot be loaded, please insert system disk and
    >press enter.

    Sounds like the drive may be broken. Try running the Seatools
    diagnostic program to check the health of the drive.

    andy, Feb 22, 2006
  13. After wringing - what I like to think of as - my brain, I have decided that
    in your situation, I would probably do a System Restore to a date previous
    to removing that drive. Do note, that all restore points may not work, just
    continue down through the list of dates (you'll waste ½ hour each time
    before it gives up) and sooner or later you'll have a hit. Probably! And
    let's hope that drive isn't zapped.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 22, 2006
  14. @ Tony Sterling
    I went into Device Management to check out if the drive shows up there. When
    i have the Seagate one unplugged it doesn't come up underneath the other
    drive that is listed there.
    When i check my BIOS without having the Seagate attached i see
    IDE Channel 1 Master - 200GB HD
    IDE Channel 1 Slave -
    IDE Channel 2 Master - CD Drive 1
    IDE Channel 2 Slave - CD Drive 2

    When i plug the Seagate HD in and check my BIOS all the IDE Channels are
    blank.
    When i go into some BIOS tab to do a search for the Hard disks it finds the
    CD Drive Channels but the Hard Drive Channels are blank and it doesn't even
    find the Master HD.

    I've actually never done a System Restore on this PC yet... since i've never
    had troubles with so i haven't actually had any save points.... >.<
    I've been trying to get rid of everything on this HD so i can repartition it
    to a full 200GB...

    And as for the HD being zapped...I seriously hope not...

    @ Andy -
    I can only run the Seatools on the Main HD and when i plug the Seagate HD in
    it wont let me load a single CD in any CD Drive.

    Confused as much as you guys are!!
    Sergey P

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 23, 2006
  15. O.K. This seems strange, but at least it limits the options - I think it
    would be a good idea to take out the flat-cable and exchange it for one that
    is completely new. They are generally tough, but they often are subjected to
    some tough twisting too, to reach around the case.

    (Make sure you don't use one of the old 40 lead cables.)

    As for the restore points, the system creates those for you - unless you
    actually disabled the feature. But if the BIOS is affected, the error comes
    before the system is loaded and I don't think it will work anyway.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 24, 2006
  16. Yea the cable that i have is about 1/2 a year old and its pretty worn out
    too, I'll see if i can drop by a computer store sometime today....

    Thank you for your time Tony!
    Sergey P

    =?Utf-8?B?U2VyZ2V5IFA=?=, Feb 24, 2006