    the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily install
    it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't possible, I'd
    rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and all advice.

    Puzzled, Feb 26, 2004

  2. These are some of the possibilities:

    a) The BIOS could be preset to an 8.4GByte configuration. I have seen preset
    BIOS in laptops but this seems unlikely in a machine that has an expansion
    port for an additional drive.

    b) The IDE connector for the drive could implement cable select - so your
    replacement hard drive jumpers could be set wrong. If the original hard
    drive has an identifiable make and model or has a jumper diagram on it, it
    would be worth checking.

    What operating system you implement wont affect this.

    Be wary of changing to XP on this machine unless you know that drivers are
    available. It probably uses special hardware and has been discontinued so I
    doubt that anyone is bothering to produce frivers for it.

    eric the seal, Feb 26, 2004

  3. "Puzzled" <> wrote in

    > I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about
    > a specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the
    > market for a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in
    > North America and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their
    > advice.
    >
    > The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
    > inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
    > W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had
    > to use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I
    > had tried other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize
    > them. The current hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of
    > imminent, permanent crash. That's why I am back bothering you all
    > again.
    >
    > It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said
    > that the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily
    > install it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't
    > possible, I'd rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and
    > all advice.

    FAT32 can do drive much larger than 8gig so 98 vs XP is not the problem.

    Sounds more like a BIOS limitation on the drive size. Time to get a new
    machine.

    Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

    --
    -=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

    TheDailySpank, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Puzzled

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:29:22 GMT, TheDailySpank <> wrote:

    >"Puzzled" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I know I asked this before but I need a little more information about
    >> a specific computer. I have an NEC Z-1 computer that was on the
    >> market for a week or so before NEC pulled the plug on all support in
    >> North America and there is absolutely NO place for me to request their
    >> advice.
    >>
    >> The Z-1 is a hybrid - a laptop pretending to be a desktop. The hdd is
    >> inside the neck of the stand holding the flat panel display. Its OS is
    >> W98se and the original hdd was 8gb. I had a 20gb drive put in and had
    >> to use a bios overlay to get the computer to see that size drive. I
    >> had tried other sizes but could not get the computer to recognize
    >> them. The current hdd, relatively new, is grinding the dance of
    >> imminent, permanent crash. That's why I am back bothering you all
    >> again.
    >>
    >> It was said here that W-XP allows all drive sizes. It was also said
    >> that the bios could interfere with XP. I have XP Pro and could easily
    >> install it if that would enable a larger hdd. But, if this isn't
    >> possible, I'd rather keep W98 on this computer. Thanks for any and
    >> all advice.

    >FAT32 can do drive much larger than 8gig so 98 vs XP is not the problem.
    >
    >Sounds more like a BIOS limitation on the drive size. Time to get a new
    >machine.
    >
    >Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

    That is not the way it is. He can use an overlay. I have a 120 gig drive on a
    computer whose bios will not detect greater than 32 gigs.

    >--
    >-=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Puzzled

    TehGhodTrole Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > He can use an overlay.

    Thus saith the atheist nitwit who can't resolve his own problems.

    So, brain above all brains, what is and how does one use "an overlay?" Or do
    you intend that everyone take the atheist position and imagine it to mean
    something that it doesn't?

    --
    TehGhodTrole: Trolling, for God's sake.
    Your Free Insult: Jesus loves you.

    TehGhodTrole, Feb 29, 2004
  6. On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 02:06:57 +0000, TehGhodTrole wrote:

    > Barry OGrady wrote:
    >
    >> He can use an overlay.

    > Thus saith the atheist nitwit who can't resolve his own problems.
    >
    > So, brain above all brains, what is and how does one use "an overlay?" Or do
    > you intend that everyone take the atheist position and imagine it to mean
    > something that it doesn't?

    Overlays are messy, unreliable, and IMO a bad idea.

    If you ever get a machine that doesn't need the overlay and you put the
    drive in that has the overlay as a secondary drive (non-boot) you can't
    get to it. Very much not useful.

    Learn to live/love/like what you've got and make the best of it. Stop
    downloading the pr0n and get back to work! ;)

    --
    -=/ Someone@TheDailySpank /=-

    If it was done quickly,
    it wasn't done right.