    When I format the HD, it says formatting 48,958 MB
    Why is it not formatting 120 GB?
    TIA

    sel, Jan 1, 2004

  2. sel

    sel Guest

    It must have been a mis-reporting if disk size during format, beacuse the
    disk has formatted to 120 GB.
    I will be using XP Pro, now do I use NTFS or FAT32, bearing in mind that my
    second HD 'D' drive is FAT32?
    TIA
    "sel" <> wrote in message
    > I have fitted a 120 GB Samsung HDD to replace my old C drive. The jumper

    is

    sel, Jan 1, 2004

  3. sel

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 17:54:53 -0000, sel wrote:

    >I have fitted a 120 GB Samsung HDD to replace my old C drive. The jumper is

    The SP1203N.

    >set to Master.
    >I FDisk the new drive and no problem here, making the largest partition
    >available.

    That would be the primary partition with the auto setting of 100%
    (that's 100% of the partition size it can create, not 100% of the drive)
    if you make an extended partition will it size to use the rest of the
    disk?

    What size did it report, what version of FDISK?

    Motherboard brand/model/BIOS revision?

    >When I format the HD, it says formatting 48,958 MB

    Bit of an odd number that, it's not near any of the usual BIOS / drive
    limits IIRC.

    >Why is it not formatting 120 GB?

    Does your mobo support large drives, did the BIOS autodetect the drive,
    did you manually enter the drive settings?

    Did you use any drive manager / overlay software?

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2004
  4. sel

    tim Guest

    "sel" <> wrote in message
    > I have fitted a 120 GB Samsung HDD to replace my old C drive. The jumper

    is
    > set to Master.
    > I FDisk the new drive and no problem here, making the largest partition
    > available.
    > When I format the HD, it says formatting 48,958 MB
    > Why is it not formatting 120 GB?
    > TIA

    I remember someone mention before on here that in order to format one
    partition as 120GB, you need something like partition magic. Also something
    mention that windows max. one partition is 36GB.

    A quick search on google will provide links on how to format 120GB

    tim, Jan 1, 2004
  5. sel

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:21:36 -0000, sel wrote:

    >It must have been a mis-reporting if disk size during format, beacuse the

    What something?

    >disk has formatted to 120 GB.
    >I will be using XP Pro, now do I use NTFS or FAT32, bearing in mind that my

    Do you want the better fault tolerance , security for multiple user
    profiles can't see each others files? If so use NTFS.

    Do you have a lot of games, sometimes NTFS permission can cause issues.
    If so Use both NTFS (user info) and FAT32 (to install games on)

    Article on file systems
    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_buvl.asp>
    or short version http://makeashorterlink.com/?N18052FE6

    Making the choice
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/ntfs_or_fat32_file_system.htm

    >second HD 'D' drive is FAT32?
    >TIA
    >"sel" <> wrote in message
    >> I have fitted a 120 GB Samsung HDD to replace my old C drive. The jumper

    >is
    >> set to Master.
    >> I FDisk the new drive and no problem here, making the largest partition
    >> available.
    >> When I format the HD, it says formatting 48,958 MB

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2004
  6. sel

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 18:58:08 +0000 (UTC), tim wrote:

    >"sel" <> wrote in message
    >> I have fitted a 120 GB Samsung HDD to replace my old C drive. The jumper

    >is
    >> set to Master.
    >> I FDisk the new drive and no problem here, making the largest partition
    >> available.
    >> When I format the HD, it says formatting 48,958 MB
    >> Why is it not formatting 120 GB?
    >> TIA
    >>

    >I remember someone mention before on here that in order to format one
    >partition as 120GB, you need something like partition magic. Also something
    >mention that windows max. one partition is 36GB.

    The max is 32GB for a partition Win XP Pro can format, it can use
    partitions larger then 32GB FAT32 if formatted using another OS.

    <http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkc_fil_hclr.asp>

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2004