HDD erasure , including spare space ( G-list) ed.

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jerry Hodson, Feb 14, 2006.

  1. Jerry  Hodson

    Jerry Hodson Guest

    ECC data failures , swaps out bad sectors for spares.
    but leaves old data on the dead sectors.
    not good. with 10% spare space , you can not touch.
    then comes, this company how , obviously have reversed engineered the
    BIOS of the major
    drives.

    they say they can reset the G-list (grown bad list)
    if that is true , we could DOD erase , run Glist reset then DOD erase 1
    more time and the
    drive is empty.

    does anyone know if they are real and their product really works?

    http://www.salvationdata.com

    seems to cost $450 to find out.

    thanks for any help
    jtgh
    Jerry Hodson, Feb 14, 2006

  2. Jerry  Hodson

    Jim Watt Guest

    On 13 Feb 2006 22:29:52 -0800, "Jerry Hodson" <>
    wrote:

    >ECC data failures , swaps out bad sectors for spares.
    >but leaves old data on the dead sectors.
    >not good. with 10% spare space , you can not touch.
    >then comes, this company how , obviously have reversed engineered the
    >BIOS of the major
    >drives.
    >
    >they say they can reset the G-list (grown bad list)
    >if that is true , we could DOD erase , run Glist reset then DOD erase 1
    >more time and the
    >drive is empty.
    >
    >does anyone know if they are real and their product really works?
    >
    >http://www.salvationdata.com
    >
    >seems to cost $450 to find out.
    >
    >thanks for any help
    >jtgh

    If you really want to destroy a disk do it mechanically, its
    the only way to be really sure.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2006

  3. Jerry  Hodson

    Todd H. Guest

    "Jerry Hodson" <> writes:

    [a bunch of incomprehensible sentence fragments]

    > does anyone know if they are real and their product really works?
    > http://www.salvationdata.com

    I'm not familiar with this particular company, but the field of data
    recovery is quite real and does work. The one I'm familiar with by
    virtue of a long history of print advertising, and a large writeup in
    PC Magazine recently is Ontrack:
    http://www.ontrack.com/

    The pretty interesting article PC Mag did on them is here. To test em
    out, the magazine sent them a drive they'd tossed in a campfire....

    I was surprised at how little it cost to get an evaluation on the
    recovery, and that they do have do it yourself kits they can send if
    the drive is electrically and mechanically intact. Yes they do live
    and die on proprietary software they've developed themselves.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/