    sound different
    Thanks
    John

    Johnnie Scott, Oct 31, 2005

  2. Johnnie Scott

    Deano Guest

    Johnnie Scott wrote:
    > Is there a tell tale sign when a hard disc is about to give up. When
    > starting my machine sometimes it will not boot and asks to swap the
    > slave for the main disc. Usually after a second try all is OK. The
    > bios beep sound different
    > Thanks
    > John

    How many beeps?

    If I was you I would be imaging the drive and taking a backup of the data
    asap.

    Deano, Oct 31, 2005

  3. Johnnie Scott

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 11:27:27 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
    <john374999nospam@,,,,ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Is there a tell tale sign when a hard disc is about to give up. When
    >starting my machine sometimes it will not boot and asks to swap the slave
    >for the main disc. Usually after a second try all is OK. The bios beep
    >sound different

    As already suggexted , it sounds like time to image your disk to a
    backup, products like

    Ghost
    http://www.symantec.com/region/reg_eu/product/ng_index.html

    Drive Image
    http://www.paragon.ag/

    Depends if your system knows about SMART and it's supported by the
    drives and if it's Windows there are several SMART monitoring apps.

    PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard disk drive monitoring software
    PassMark DiskCheckup - View and monitor a hard disk drives SMART
    attributes and
    other information.
    www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

    Active SMART - Hard drive diagnostic and failure prediction using ...
    A hard disk status analyzer and failure prediction software it uses
    SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) to monitor
    the health
    status ...
    www.ariolic.com/activesmart/ - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

    For a non Windows OS, try your favorite search engine.

    >Thanks
    >John

    Me

    why?, Oct 31, 2005