    did it again, but only for a few seconds.

    Thanks yet again,
    JPM

    DemoDisk, Dec 31, 2007

  2. DemoDisk

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:20:28 -0600, "DemoDisk" <>
    wrote:

    >Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ½GB Crucial RAM,
    >OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
    >

    >Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
    >in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
    >
    >Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
    >furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop until
    >I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
    >
    >Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or something),
    >or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
    >tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post, it
    >did it again, but only for a few seconds.
    >
    >Thanks yet again,
    >JPM

    OE compacts the files every now and then. With that many emails taking
    up that much space, yeah OE will work over time for sure.
    Some times it does take a few minutes.
    In options, you can set when OE will do the compacting. I don't use OE
    any longer as I have come to like Tbird much better.

    richard, Dec 31, 2007

  3. DemoDisk

    DemoDisk Guest

    "richard" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 01:20:28 -0600, "DemoDisk" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ½GB Crucial RAM,
    > >OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
    > >

    > >Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile

    up
    > >in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
    > >
    > >Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
    > >furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop

    until
    > >I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
    > >
    > >Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or

    something),
    > >or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
    > >tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post,

    it
    > >did it again, but only for a few seconds.
    > >
    > >Thanks yet again,
    > >JPM
    > >

    > OE compacts the files every now and then. With that many emails taking
    > up that much space, yeah OE will work over time for sure.
    > Some times it does take a few minutes.
    > In options, you can set when OE will do the compacting. I don't use OE
    > any longer as I have come to like Tbird much better.

    Thanks, richard. I gotta get off my rear and install a better newsreader
    and browser like people recommend. I'm so glad this homebuilt is
    ....y'know... working... that I'm slow in changing things.

    DemoDisk, Dec 31, 2007
  4. DemoDisk wrote:

    > Okay; lessee... Win98SE, WD 20GB HDD, ½GB Crucial RAM,
    > OE 6.00.2800.1123 and IE 6.00.2800.1106
    >

    > Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
    > in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.
    >
    > Soon afterward (like several minutes), the HDD started thrashing
    > furiously -- it sounded like an electrical short, and didn't stop until
    > I closed every IE window and Outlook Express.
    >
    > Is this behaviour normal (OE re-condensing the Inbox.dbx or something),
    > or does it indicate something wrong? It sounded like the drive could
    > tear itself apart. And btw, when I re-opened OE to create this post, it
    > did it again, but only for a few seconds.

    It is OE which attempts to compact the mailbox file if there is more than 25
    percent wasted space in the mail database.
    Now, when your harddrive sounds terribly, consider downloading the
    diagnostic floppy from the WD site, or at least use some freeware HD
    monitor (S.M.A.R.T) program to monitor it's health. Doing backups can never
    harm you.
    Do not put extra stress on the drive (like defragging) until you verified
    the drive is fine, and you have done a backup of your important files.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Dec 31, 2007
  5. DemoDisk

    Plato Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:

    > Every day I get email advertisements from webstores I like. They pile up
    > in the inbox. This evening deleted ~100 of them, many over 100K.

    Get a disposable email address from yahoo or whatever and use that for
    webpage entries.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Dec 31, 2007