    OS is Win 7 x64 RTM running on dual core AMD athlonX2. Aside from the
    flickering light, everything works well. Should I be concerned?
    Is drive indexing involved and if so can I switch it off?

    VE2, Sep 1, 2009

  2. VE2

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, VE2.

    New computer? Or new installation of Win7?

    Many users complain of lots of HDD activity when Vista/Win7 are first
    installed. There are several causes for this activity.

    Indexing is one cause, as the Search service builds its initial Index. This
    process is supposed to work only in the background, interrupting itself and
    getting out of our way when we touch the keyboard or otherwise start some
    foreground activity. Control Panel | Indexing Options will show you your
    settings and the number of items indexed so far. For a while, each time you
    look it will say something like "Indexing delayed because of user activity;
    eventually it will say "Indexing complete". But there are several actions
    that can provoke it to Rebuild the Index all over again. Yes, you can turn
    Indexing off, but it's probably better to just live with the blinking lights
    for a few days.

    The built-in defragger also can make the HDD lights blink a lot. This also
    calms down after a few days.

    I've been using Vista and Win7 for nearly 3 years on my Athlon x64 X2 5000+
    with 4 HDDs (2 of them in a RAID 1). My hard drive light still blinks a
    lot. But the computer case is down on the floor, far out of my line of
    sight, so it usually doesn't bother me.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Sep 1, 2009

  3. VE2

    VE2 Guest

    Thanks for the info. The system has been up for about 3 weeks
    now. After I posted this message, I turned the contents indexing
    off, but it did not seem to change the amount of disk activity.
    It will almost stop when the keyboard etc is active however,
    like now when I typing. It really doesn't affect performance as
    far as I know, I was just wondering if it was normal. If you
    are still running ok after three years, I'll just ignore it!
    Thanks again.

    VE2, Sep 1, 2009
  4. VE2

    Carlos Guest

    VE2,
    Press simulaneously Shift+Ctrl+Esc keys to bring up Task Manager.
    Go to the Processes tab and sort them by CPU usage.
    You might find there what is making your hard drive spin so much.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Sep 2, 2009