HD video recorders announced

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Grand Inquisitor, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. From IMDB today:

    A Silicon Valley-based company has developed a digital video recorder,
    named the Roku, aimed at owners of high definition TV sets. As reported
    by the Associated Press, the company was founded by Anthony Wood, who
    previously started up the software firm that developed the popular
    Dreamweaver program for designing websites and another firm that
    introduced ReplayTV, the first digital video recorder for conventional
    TV sets. The $499 Roku, being unveiled today (Monday) not only can
    record and play HDTV programs with all the familiar VCR functions but
    can also be hooked up to a PC, and an add-on memory card will allow it
    to display a slide show of paintings, nature and aquarium images. Wood,
    who sold his previous startups before the downturn in the market for
    technology stocks, told AP: "I'm not doing it for the money, but I
    really enjoy building things. ... There's so much opportunity in the
    shift to digital media, and I don't think the products out there are
    being done well."

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor
    Grand Inquisitor, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    Mark Spatny Guest

    Grand Inquisitor, says...
    > The $499 Roku, being unveiled today (Monday) not only can
    > record and play HDTV programs with all the familiar VCR functions

    Hell, I'd buy that tomorrow if they had it at Best Buy
    Mark Spatny, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Grand Inquisitor

    luminos Guest

    The article I read indicates it is NOT an HD TV recorder as we know it..it
    uses memory sticks and cards only, and mostly is for playing back still
    pictures, etc. at high resolution.

    luminos, Sep 23, 2003