    exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

    TIA
    JohnO

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004

  2. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed
    > to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

    How are you measuring the temperature?
    How accurate is your temperature measurement?

    Harry, Sep 8, 2004

  3. JohnO

    Tim Guest

    You need to attend to this ASAP. Until such time as you do have a proper
    solution, run your computer with the cover off - if it makes the HDD cooler
    without affecting CPU temp.

    High HDD temps can stuff drives prematurely.

    If you have drives sandwiched together then try and space them apart. If you
    have no fan in the front of the case then look at adding one. Consider
    rounded cables... Consider moving the drive into an airflow...

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 8, 2004
  4. JohnO

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:51:45 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    >operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed to
    >exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?
    >
    >TIA
    >JohnO

    Yes they do need a Fan on them..

    Get a Case that has a fan option in front of the Hard Drives

    Like the Cheap ICute..

    Some have 2 x 80mm fans some have one 120mm..

    Karen Parker, Sep 8, 2004
  5. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Karen Parker" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:51:45 +1200, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    > >This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    > >operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be allowed

    > >exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?
    > >
    > >TIA
    > >JohnO
    > >

    > Yes they do need a Fan on them..
    >
    > Get a Case that has a fan option in front of the Hard Drives
    >

    > Like the Cheap ICute..
    >
    > Some have 2 x 80mm fans some have one 120mm..

    Yep, this case has two drives sandwiched pretty close together right at the
    edge of the case. The airflow looks to be rather poor. I think I better get
    a new case as I suspect no amount of fans will get a decent airflow through
    the drives.

    Thanks all,

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004
  6. JohnO

    ~misfit~ Guest

    JohnO wrote:
    > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be
    > allowed to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

    I think so. Summer's coming. I had the same problem and my cheap-arse case
    made it really difficult to fit a fan in the front *and* a HDD in the
    airflow, I could put the HDD above or below, neither of which solved the
    problem. I ended up puting in one of these:

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/413f795a0d1bd10a2740c0a87f9906de
    /Product/View/XH5092

    After looking at *way* more expensive solutions from companies such as
    Thermaltake that didn't seem any better. It fits into a 5 1/2" bay so you'll
    need one of those spare. Mine dropped my HDD temp (read from internal
    termistor by a little ap called DTemp) between 10-15°C. I expected more to
    be honest but it was enough.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 8, 2004
  7. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    >
    > > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    > > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be

    allowed
    > > to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

    > How are you measuring the temperature?
    > How accurate is your temperature measurement?

    I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    JohnO, Sep 8, 2004
  8. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>
    >> > This Seagate Barracuda drive seems to sit at around 55 degrees when
    >> > operating heavily. According to Seagate, the temp should never be

    > allowed
    >> > to exceed 60 degrees. Should I be worried?

    >> How are you measuring the temperature?
    >> How accurate is your temperature measurement?
    >>

    > I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    > temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    > data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    It might not be accurate.
    I would be inclined to look for changes, not the absolute meaurement itself.

    Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
    of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
    excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.

    Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
    down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
    and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

    Harry, Sep 9, 2004
  9. JohnO

    JohnO Guest

    "Harry" <> wrote in message
    > JohnO wrote:
    >

    > > "Harry" <> wrote in message

    > > allowed
    > >>
    > >> How are you measuring the temperature?
    > >> How accurate is your temperature measurement?
    > >>

    > > I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    > > temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    > > data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    > It might not be accurate.
    > I would be inclined to look for changes, not the absolute meaurement

    itself.

    > Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
    > of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
    > excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.
    >
    > Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
    > down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
    > and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

    No changes. It's been totally consistent since installation.

    If I was living in any other country than NZ I'd be happy to rely on
    warranty. However I find that dodgy NZ retailers are not always happy to do
    warranty replacements without a lot of arm twisting which I don't much care
    for!

    JohnO, Sep 9, 2004
  10. JohnO

    colinco Guest

    In article Harry says...
    > Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
    > of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
    > excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.
    >
    > Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
    > down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your data,
    > and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.

    SMART data is retained by the drive. It doesn't do your warranty claim
    much good to have a max temp >60 recorded.

    colinco, Sep 9, 2004
  11. JohnO

    Tim Guest

    Look for some new suppliers. The ones I deal with are excellent and do not
    hesitate (much) to replace faulty items under warrantee. Some like to check
    the "unit" prior to handing over a new one, so if you had a HDD that had
    been allowed to overheat then die you might have an issue there. IE they run
    manufacturers diagnostics.

    It is always wise to go in prepared with receipt, specific details of the
    fault and let them do their thing.

    IMHO *never* buy off any of the chain stores as you will often be dealing
    with either a staff member that doesn't know what you are talking about, or
    a service dept that will not be too cooperative.

    In CHCH: dragonpc & globalpc.

    - Tim

    Tim, Sep 9, 2004
  12. JohnO

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:03:38 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >JohnO wrote:
    >

    >> "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >> allowed
    >>>
    >>> How are you measuring the temperature?
    >>> How accurate is your temperature measurement?
    >>>

    >> I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    >> temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    >> data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    >It might not be accurate.

    Yes it is, as its part of the hard drive..

    most drives have S.M.A R.T. built in..

    Karen Parker, Sep 9, 2004
  13. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    Karen Parker < wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:03:38 +1200, Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>JohnO wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >>> allowed

    >>> I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    >>> temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    >>> data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    >>It might not be accurate.

    > Yes it is, as its part of the hard drive..
    >

    > most drives have S.M.A R.T. built in..

    How does that make it accurate?

    Harry, Sep 9, 2004
  14. JohnO

    Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 11:30:07 +1200, Tim wrote:

    <snip - top posted stuff>

    Quit your top posting will ya!

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 9, 2004
  15. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    JohnO wrote:

    > "Harry" <> wrote in message
    >> JohnO wrote:
    >>

    >> > "Harry" <> wrote in message

    >> > allowed

    >> > I'm using the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring on the drive itself to monitor the
    >> > temperature. There's plenty of free tools around to read the diagnostic
    >> > data - I'm using SmartPC 2004 IIRC. Dunno how accurate it is though.

    >> It might not be accurate.
    >> I would be inclined to look for changes, not the absolute meaurement

    > itself.
    >>
    >> Typically such measurements are based on simple thermal characteristics
    >> of a semiconductor and are not very accurate. A 10% accuracy would be
    >> excellent. But 20% error wouldn't be particularly unusual.
    >>
    >> Anyhow, if your drive is under warranty then thrash it until is breaks
    >> down and get a replacement. But make sure you regularly backup your
    >> data, and it helps to have a spare drive handy too.
    >>

    > No changes. It's been totally consistent since installation.
    >
    > If I was living in any other country than NZ I'd be happy to rely on
    > warranty. However I find that dodgy NZ retailers are not always happy to
    > do warranty replacements without a lot of arm twisting which I don't much
    > care for!

    You can always take it directly back to the manufacturer.

    Harry, Sep 9, 2004
  16. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    wrote:

    > <snip>

    Quit your pointless posting will ya!

    Harry, Sep 9, 2004
  17. JohnO

    Karen Parker Guest

    On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:26:49 +1200, Harry <> wrote:

    >Karen Parker < wrote:

    >>>It might not be accurate.

    >> Yes it is, as its part of the hard drive..
    >>

    >> most drives have S.M.A R.T. built in..

    >How does that make it accurate?

    Because its not a tack on, its put in by the Hard Drive makers, not like ones
    in MoBo's

    Karen Parker, Sep 9, 2004
  18. JohnO

    Harry Guest

    Karen Parker < wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 12:26:49 +1200, Harry <> wrote:
    >
    >>Karen Parker < wrote:

    >>> Yes it is, as its part of the hard drive..
    >>>

    >>> most drives have S.M.A R.T. built in..

    >>How does that make it accurate?

    > Because its not a tack on, its put in by the Hard Drive makers, not like
    > ones in MoBo's

    How does that make it accurate?

    Do disk drive manufacturers use 0.1% tolerance resistors or do they
    use 5% tolerance resistors? How do you know how accurate their temperature
    sensor is? Do they spec it?

    Harry, Sep 9, 2004
  19. Harry wrote:
    > How does that make it accurate?
    >
    > Do disk drive manufacturers use 0.1% tolerance resistors or do they
    > use 5% tolerance resistors? How do you know how accurate their
    > temperature sensor is? Do they spec it?

    Having a sensor as part of the drive *could* be more accurate since the
    sensor is probably buried right in the guts of the drive where the heat
    originates while external sensors will *always* measure less heat. Just like
    the temp. sensor on the AMD die.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Sep 9, 2004