HD Space Allocation For Two Users ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Aug 27, 2009.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello,

    Will be purchasing a new PC in Nov., once avail with preloaded Windows 7.
    Although not out yet, my guess is that Vista probably has, or has not, this
    feature.

    Presently running XP, and do not want to bother with this now, but trying to
    get a bit of a heads up re the new contemplated PC.

    Is there some way (Vista or Windows 7) to allocate a maximum amount of HD
    memory to a second user ?
    I guess I would be classified as "Admisistrator," with a password, although
    I am not sure if a password to set somehing like this up exists in Vista or
    for the new Windows 7

    Getting very tired of sharing a PC with my son, and fighting over the last 5
    GB or so.
    Most of the HD now is filled with his videos, music, etc.

    A PC of his own is not in the cards right now; will be sharing for a while
    more.

    Can HD space be allocated, and locked ?
    With I guess an error msg. when getting close ?

    Thanks,
    B.

    Robert11, Aug 27, 2009

  2. Robert11

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:39:35 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Will be purchasing a new PC in Nov., once avail with preloaded Windows 7.
    >Although not out yet, my guess is that Vista probably has, or has not, this
    >feature.
    >
    >Presently running XP, and do not want to bother with this now, but trying to
    >get a bit of a heads up re the new contemplated PC.
    >
    >Is there some way (Vista or Windows 7) to allocate a maximum amount of HD
    >memory to a second user ?
    >I guess I would be classified as "Admisistrator," with a password, although
    >I am not sure if a password to set somehing like this up exists in Vista or
    >for the new Windows 7
    >
    >Getting very tired of sharing a PC with my son, and fighting over the last 5
    >GB or so.
    >Most of the HD now is filled with his videos, music, etc.
    >
    >A PC of his own is not in the cards right now; will be sharing for a while
    >more.
    >
    >Can HD space be allocated, and locked ?
    >With I guess an error msg. when getting close ?

    Second google search for limit hard drive usage vista:

    http://www.demogeek.com/2009/06/30/limit-hard-disk-space-usage-in-windows-7-for-specific-users/

    Never tried this, and don't have Vista / 7 to try.

    Perhaps if this doesn't work, better parenting skills and a little
    manual enforcement will? Something along the lines of "We only have 5
    gigs free on the hard drive. Please free up some space."
    Next day: "There's still only 5 GB free. Either free 2 gigs up by
    tomorrow at noon, or I will.
    Tomorrow at noon: Delete sons MP3 directory.

    Or, hell, buy a 1 TB external drive. Less than $100.

    Evan Platt, Aug 27, 2009

  3. Robert11

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-27, Evan Platt <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:39:35 -0400, "Robert11" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>Will be purchasing a new PC in Nov., once avail with preloaded Windows 7.
    >>Although not out yet, my guess is that Vista probably has, or has not, this
    >>feature.

    [...]

    >>Getting very tired of sharing a PC with my son, and fighting over the last 5
    >>GB or so.
    >>Most of the HD now is filled with his videos, music, etc.
    >>
    >>A PC of his own is not in the cards right now; will be sharing for a while
    >>more.

    [...]

    What's going to happen to the current computer when you buy the new one?
    Why not give it to your son and tell him it's his to do with as he
    pleases?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 27, 2009
  4. Whiskers <> pinched out a steaming pile
    of<>:

    >On 2009-08-27, Evan Platt <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:39:35 -0400, "Robert11"

    <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>Will be purchasing a new PC in Nov., once avail with preloaded

    Windows 7.
    >>>Although not out yet, my guess is that Vista probably has, or has

    not, this
    >>>feature.

    >[...]
    >
    >>>Getting very tired of sharing a PC with my son, and fighting over

    the last 5
    >>>GB or so.
    >>>Most of the HD now is filled with his videos, music, etc.
    >>>
    >>>A PC of his own is not in the cards right now; will be sharing for a

    while
    >>>more.

    >[...]
    >
    >What's going to happen to the current computer when you buy the new

    one?
    >Why not give it to your son and tell him it's his to do with as he
    >pleases?

    Please dont inject logic and common sense into this thread.

    TIA

    ^_^

    §ñühw¤£f, Aug 27, 2009