    I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV.... RRRRREEEEEVVVV."

    Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?

    Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

    Totally Serious, Sep 10, 2004

  2. Totally Serious

    Scraggy Guest

    Totally Serious wrote:
    > All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
    > a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
    > RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
    >
    > Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
    >
    > Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

    Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site & download
    relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.
    --
    Most fools think they are only ignorant.
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    Scraggy, Sep 10, 2004

  3. Scraggy wrote:
    > Totally Serious wrote:
    >> All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
    >> a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
    >> RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
    >>
    >> Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

    > Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site &
    > download relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.

    I could fix that with a floppy.

    Can you help me with this problem? Below is what I
    posted once before, but I can't remember where.

    Hello,

    Sorry for the x post but I need help big time...

    I installed a new motherboard and cpu in my system as I fried the old ones.

    I did not do a clean install of Windows XP as my HP Pavilion system did not
    come with any recovery cd's so I hooked my existing hard drive up to the
    system and powered up.

    Anyway, it powers up ok but the first time I switched it on there was a blue
    error screen that flashed on for a second and then the system rebooted
    itself.

    Now when I power on I can get past the bios screen ok but before the windows
    logo appears I get the boot menu offering safe mode , safe mode with
    networking, normal mode etc. A message appears on this screen saying that
    the options appear as windows xp did not shut down correctly etc etc

    If I choose normal mode then a white progress bar at the bottom of the
    screen appears, it gets to the end of it and sits there.....for ever. If I
    choose safe mode then it shows it loading all the files from the hard drive
    and it gets to a file agp440.sys and it sits there...forever. So whatever
    this file is it is causing the system to hang,

    Various fixes I have seen include getting into Windows and disabling the
    agp440.sys service. But I cannot get into xp at all as my system did not
    come with boot cd's.

    I can boot to a win98 floppy ok but I cannot access drive c: as it is ntfs,
    I thought maybe I could rename agp440.sys to something else.

    Any ideas on how to get round this agp440.sys problem? I really don't
    want to do a clean install as I have no win xp cd's. My hp pavilion system
    contains it's setup files on some hidden partition on the drive.
    But I can print.

    Thanks

    Allen Balthrop, Sep 10, 2004
  4. "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    > Totally Serious wrote:
    >> All of a sudden my HDD sounds like it is revving at a stop light for
    >> a race. I can hear it go "RRRRREEEVVVV...... RRRRREEEEVVV....
    >> RRRRREEEEEVVVV."
    >>
    >> Any ideas what this means? Is it getting ready to take a dump?
    >>
    >> Its an IBM 7200RPM ATA-133 IDE drive... about 4 years old.

    > Back it up now, if you have not already done so. Go to IBM site & download
    > relevent diagnostic tool. I fear the news may not be good.
    > --

    I have 2 HDD in my computer. Is backing up HDD #1 as simple as highlighting
    the HDD and selecting COPY, and then PASTING it onto HDD #2?

    There is plenty of room on HDD #2 (slave). I started to do that, but stopped
    because I was uncertain. Also, after I had stopped it did already copy some
    files and I have a file on my HDD #2 that said "LOCAL DISC C"

    If I "back it up" this way, can I just open my computer and switch #2 to
    MASTER and then get rid of #1?

    Totally Serious, Sep 10, 2004
  5. Totally Serious

    Andy Kelly Guest

    > I have 2 HDD in my computer. Is backing up HDD #1 as simple as

    highlighting
    > the HDD and selecting COPY, and then PASTING it onto HDD #2?

    yes, but don't do the whole lot in one go. Every time I've tried something
    like that it has stopped half way through. Limit yourself to 50MB at a time.

    > If I "back it up" this way, can I just open my computer and switch #2 to
    > MASTER and then get rid of #1?

    Hmm, you would need to have an operating system loaded on the second drive.
    Theory is that you could load the OS and it wouldn't affect your data but I
    wouldn't trust it.

    Andy Kelly, Sep 10, 2004