    the same speed going to the (faster) sata ?

    Is there a setting I've missed somewhere ?

    Ben
    zxy, May 19, 2006

  2. zxy

    Mike Easter Guest

    zxy wrote:

    > can someone help me with this ?

    I don't know an answer to help here, just correcting an apparent
    typo/misstatement.

    > OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows),

    Meg. Not gig. 3 to 4 hundred meg files -- rar/ed tv shows.

    > When I unpack
    > (using winrar) ata to ata a file takes 20 to 30 sec's to complete.
    > When I unpack the same file ata to sata it takes 7 mins ?

    Puzzle puzzle.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 19, 2006

  3. zxy

    zxy Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > zxy wrote:
    >
    >> can someone help me with this ?

    > I don't know an answer to help here, just correcting an apparent
    > typo/misstatement.
    >
    >> OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows),

    > Meg. Not gig. 3 to 4 hundred meg files -- rar/ed tv shows.

    Indeed, meg not gig !! just goes to show you should read your own
    before you post it...

    Thanks

    zxy, May 19, 2006
  4. zxy

    beenthere Guest

    "zxy" <zxy@com> wrote in message

    > Hi All,
    >
    > can someone help me with this ?
    >
    > I've a system running an 80 gig ata (ibm) hd and a 200 gig sata (Maxtor).
    >
    > Running on an Abit nf7-s and an SI 3112 sata controller. system has a gig
    > of ddr 400 under win xp sp2.
    >
    > OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows), When I unpack
    > (using winrar) ata to ata a file takes 20 to 30 sec's to complete. When I
    > unpack the same file ata to sata it takes 7 mins ?
    >
    > I'm running the latest drivers for everything. shouldn't it be at least
    > the same speed going to the (faster) sata ?
    >
    > Is there a setting I've missed somewhere ?

    Try moving the Rared file to SATA first, to see if that helps.
    Don`t forget Rar has got to do its thing.
    beenthere, May 19, 2006
  5. zxy

    zxy Guest

    beenthere wrote:
    > "zxy" <zxy@com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi All,
    >>
    >> can someone help me with this ?
    >>
    >> I've a system running an 80 gig ata (ibm) hd and a 200 gig sata (Maxtor).
    >>
    >> Running on an Abit nf7-s and an SI 3112 sata controller. system has a gig
    >> of ddr 400 under win xp sp2.
    >>
    >> OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows), When I unpack
    >> (using winrar) ata to ata a file takes 20 to 30 sec's to complete. When I
    >> unpack the same file ata to sata it takes 7 mins ?
    >>
    >> I'm running the latest drivers for everything. shouldn't it be at least
    >> the same speed going to the (faster) sata ?
    >>
    >> Is there a setting I've missed somewhere ?
    >>

    > Try moving the Rared file to SATA first, to see if that helps.
    > Don`t forget Rar has got to do its thing.

    Ok, stranger and stranger..

    sata to sata 65 sec
    sata to ata 28 sec
    ata to sata 6 mins + ??
    ata to ata 20 sec

    same 360 meg file.

    I'll just change the way I download and unpack...
    zxy, May 19, 2006
  6. zxy

    Mitch Guest

    In article <446d9580$0$691$>, zxy <zxy@com>
    wrote:

    > > Try moving the Rared file to SATA first, to see if that helps.
    > > Don`t forget Rar has got to do its thing.
    > >

    > Ok, stranger and stranger..
    >
    > sata to sata 65 sec
    > sata to ata 28 sec
    > ata to sata 6 mins + ??
    > ata to ata 20 sec
    >
    > same 360 meg file.
    >
    > I'll just change the way I download and unpack...

    That's the way -- make the software save the file to the drive that
    it's go to stay on in the first place, and skip the copying step.

    Keep in mind that a lot has to do with where these drives are actually
    connected -- it's the bus they are going through that regulates the
    transfer. If you're still curious, check which drive is connected to
    which bus and where the data actually passes, and you'll probably find
    your bottleneck.
    Mitch, May 19, 2006
  7. zxy

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:06:59 +0100, zxy <zxy@com> wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >can someone help me with this ?
    >
    >I've a system running an 80 gig ata (ibm) hd and a 200 gig sata (Maxtor).
    >
    >Running on an Abit nf7-s and an SI 3112 sata controller. system has a
    >gig of ddr 400 under win xp sp2.
    >
    >OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows), When I unpack
    >(using winrar) ata to ata a file takes 20 to 30 sec's to complete. When
    >I unpack the same file ata to sata it takes 7 mins ?
    >
    >I'm running the latest drivers for everything. shouldn't it be at least
    >the same speed going to the (faster) sata ?

    If the PATA and SATA HDs have the same RPM (usually 7200 rpm), then
    their performance is very similar re transfer rates etc.

    Seems to be something very wrong with the way your SATA is set up.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, May 19, 2006
  8. zxy

    Shep© Guest

    On Fri, 19 May 2006 08:06:59 +0100 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With
    Yang then zxy <zxy@com> sent this :

    >Hi All,
    >
    >can someone help me with this ?
    >
    >I've a system running an 80 gig ata (ibm) hd and a 200 gig sata (Maxtor).
    >
    >Running on an Abit nf7-s and an SI 3112 sata controller. system has a
    >gig of ddr 400 under win xp sp2.
    >
    >OK, I'm downloading 3 to 4 hundred gig files (tv shows), When I unpack
    >(using winrar) ata to ata a file takes 20 to 30 sec's to complete. When
    >I unpack the same file ata to sata it takes 7 mins ?
    >
    >I'm running the latest drivers for everything. shouldn't it be at least
    >the same speed going to the (faster) sata ?
    >
    >Is there a setting I've missed somewhere ?
    >
    >Ben

    Controller,"Bottle necks".
    Tip:You can speed up all data transfers by going to make a cup-of-tea
    whilst the silly PC does it's thing and stop watching it ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, May 20, 2006
  9. zxy

    Plato Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > Controller,"Bottle necks".
    > Tip:You can speed up all data transfers by going to make a cup-of-tea
    > whilst the silly PC does it's thing and stop watching it ;-)

    Been a tea drinker for some time. Now turning the wife and kids onto
    tea.

    A billion Chinese cant be wrong..
    Plato, May 20, 2006
  10. zxy

    Shep© Guest

    On 20 May 2006 00:10:04 -0500 Too Much Ying and you will Pay With Yang
    then Plato <|@|.|> sent this :

    >Shep© wrote:
    >>
    >> Controller,"Bottle necks".
    >> Tip:You can speed up all data transfers by going to make a cup-of-tea
    >> whilst the silly PC does it's thing and stop watching it ;-)

    >Been a tea drinker for some time. Now turning the wife and kids onto
    >tea.
    >
    >A billion Chinese cant be wrong..

    Tanine gives a kick and a mellows that caffeine ;-)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, May 21, 2006
  11. zxy

    Plato Guest

    Shep© wrote:

    > >Been a tea drinker for some time. Now turning the wife and kids onto
    > >tea.
    > >
    > >A billion Chinese cant be wrong..

    > Tanine gives a kick and a mellows that caffeine ;-)

    I dont want a pickle.

    I just want to ride my motor cycle
    Plato, May 21, 2006
  12. zxy

    Helen Guest

    Plato wrote:
    > Shep) wrote:
    >>
    >>> Been a tea drinker for some time. Now turning the wife and kids onto
    >>> tea.
    >>>
    >>> A billion Chinese cant be wrong..

    >> Tanine gives a kick and a mellows that caffeine ;-)

    > I dont want a pickle.
    >
    > I just want to ride my motor cycle

    Late the other day
    Did you go and see Ray?

    BTW you have a typo. It's MOter sycle ! (rhymes with ice cicle)! LOL!
    Helen, May 21, 2006