    expansion ).
    I removed all data, formatted the drive, but it still does the same thing.
    Is it " toast " , or what ?
    Cosmopolite, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Cosmopolite

    JD Guest

    Cosmopolite wrote:
    > I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 16 ( 80 GB ) which makes a loud clacking
    > sound and will not be recognized by BIOS.
    > After a few re-boots, the BIOS will catch it and the data reads fine.
    > I only use my PC about 3 hours at night,( turned off at other times ) so
    > I thought it may be a temperature related problem ( track shifting from
    > expansion ).
    > I removed all data, formatted the drive, but it still does the same thing.
    > Is it " toast " , or what ?

    Sounds like it's on the way out, hard drives are quite cheep these days
    and should be no problem to replace.
    JD, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Cosmopolite

    Plato Guest

    Cosmopolite wrote:

    > I have a Maxtor DiamondMax 16 ( 80 GB ) which makes a loud clacking
    > sound and will not be recognized by BIOS.
    > After a few re-boots, the BIOS will catch it and the data reads fine.
    > I only use my PC about 3 hours at night,( turned off at other times ) so
    > I thought it may be a temperature related problem ( track shifting from
    > expansion ).
    > I removed all data, formatted the drive, but it still does the same thing.
    > Is it " toast " , or what ?

    Loud clinks, clacks, whatever, are almost always an indication of a
    failing hard drive.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 17, 2006
  4. Cosmopolite

    Erick Guest

    Good thing you got the data, because it's pretty close to being dead. That
    sound is the reading mechanism banging against something inside, most likely
    the spindle itself.

    Erick, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Cosmopolite

    Cosmopolite Guest

    Thanks for all your advise. pulled the disk out of drive and will melt
    it with torch. Ultimate data security. :)
    Cosmopolite, Jan 19, 2006
  6. Cosmopolite

    JD Guest

    Cosmopolite wrote:
    > Cosmopolite wrote:
    >

    > Thanks for all your advise. pulled the disk out of drive and will melt
    > it with torch. Ultimate data security. :)

    I personally prefer to dismantle them, and use the Platter as a coaster
    for my coffee cup ;)
    JD, Jan 19, 2006
  7. Cosmopolite

    Erick Guest

    And the magnets are great for hanging stuff on the fridge... If you can pull
    them apart.

    Erick, Jan 20, 2006
  8. Cosmopolite

    JD Guest

    Erick wrote:
    > And the magnets are great for hanging stuff on the fridge... If you can pull
    > them apart.
    >

    > "JD" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Cosmopolite wrote:
    >>
    >>>Cosmopolite wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Thanks for all your advise. pulled the disk out of drive and will melt
    >>>it with torch. Ultimate data security. :)

    >>I personally prefer to dismantle them, and use the Platter as a coaster
    >>for my coffee cup ;)

    I never thought of that, I'll keep that in mind next time .. well its
    recycling isnt it lol
    JD, Jan 20, 2006