    Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
    partitions and their content?
    Thanks.

    Mike, Mar 31, 2005

  2. Mike

    Gordon Guest

    Mike wrote:
    > Op sys is Win XP
    > HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
    > Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
    > partitions and their content?
    > Thanks.

    No, you can format one at a time. C has the operating system on it, so
    you cannot format it from within windows. You will need to boot up using
    the XP CD to do this.

    Gordon, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Mike

    °Mike° Guest

    The C drive is your boot drive, so you will need to
    boot from the XP CD to format it. The other partitions
    will not be affected.

    In <>,
    Mike took 6 lines to utter:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Mike wrote:
    > Op sys is Win XP
    > HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
    > Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
    > partitions and their content?
    > Thanks.

    If you remove all the furniture from one room, do you remove all the
    furniture from every other room?

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Mar 31, 2005
  5. Mike

    Trev Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:58:52 +0100, "Miss Perspicacia Tick"
    <> wrote:

    >Mike wrote:
    >> Op sys is Win XP
    >> HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
    >> Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
    >> partitions and their content?
    >> Thanks.

    >If you remove all the furniture from one room, do you remove all the
    >furniture from every other room?

    If I'm moving house?...Yes
    --

    Trev (Milnrow, UK)

    Trev, Mar 31, 2005
  6. Mike

    Smiley Guest

    Yes with caution

    make sure all your data is on other drives
    copy C:\windows\system\formate.exe to a floppy
    reboot into dos and run from floppy
    reinstall XP and programs

    HOPE YOU DO NOT LOOSE ANYTHING

    double check you programs and data

    --
    Please note: To avoid Spam, all email to my Hotmail address is automatically trashed.

    Smiley, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Mike

    Plato Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > Op sys is Win XP
    > HD is divided into 3 drives (one of them "C").
    > Is it possible to format "C" only, or formating will delete all
    > partitions and their content?

    One can format a single drive or partition at a time. It wont fuss with
    the other drives or partitions.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Mike

    DRoCkA Guest

    yes you can format just one partition, but if you are formatting
    your C:\ (system drive) you should do it thru the windows xp
    installation disk. The process will allow you to keep your current
    partitions in tact.

    Note: if you apps are on your D:\ or E:\ or F:\, in other words you
    don't have your applications installed on your C:\ drive but
    installed them on another partition DO NOT expect them to work
    after formatting the C:\ drive.

    Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 RC2
    * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy
    * http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet