HD In An External Enclosure ?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a PC that came with a single HD, and runs XP.
    I added a second SATA HD afterwards.

    I may be purchasing a new PC, and was wondering about the following:

    Would probably try to find a PC that comes with a spare empty slot in it so
    that I can transfer
    the HD I put in to the PC I now have to this new one. This is, of course,
    the HD that does Not have the OS on it; just a bunch of photos, etc.

    Or, I may purchase a PC with just 2 HD's already installed in it.
    I kinda like the idea of having a second HD for backups, etc.

    Anyway, if I go this route, can I perhaps use the HD I previously installed
    in the old PC into some sort of cabinet, external to the new PC ?
    Is this a good and workable idea ?

    Who makes these types of enclosures ? Brand recommendations ?
    Does it have to have a power supply built in ?

    Also, how would it communicate with the new PC: via USB ?
    Or something ese ?
    I heard about Firewire and 1394 Bus.
    What are these ? Something to consider ?

    Any thoughts on all of this, and opinions, would be most appreciated.

    Any "hookers" or caveats re putting the HD into an external enclosure ?
    e.g., will most new PC's running Vista recognize 3 HD's without any problem,
    etc. ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Mar 24, 2007

  2. Robert11

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:24:54 -0400, Robert11 wrote:

    > Hello:
    >
    > Have a PC that came with a single HD, and runs XP.
    > I added a second SATA HD afterwards.

    So the original HD was SATA also?

    > I may be purchasing a new PC, and was wondering about the following:
    >
    > Would probably try to find a PC that comes with a spare empty slot in it so
    > that I can transfer

    You'd be hard pushed to find a PC tower that doesn't have a spare slot.

    > the HD I put in to the PC I now have to this new one. This is, of course,
    > the HD that does Not have the OS on it; just a bunch of photos, etc.

    Sounds OK so far.

    > Or, I may purchase a PC with just 2 HD's already installed in it.

    Why bother if you have a spare HD?

    > I kinda like the idea of having a second HD for backups, etc.

    It's pretty handy, yes.

    > Anyway, if I go this route, can I perhaps use the HD I previously installed
    > in the old PC into some sort of cabinet, external to the new PC ?
    > Is this a good and workable idea ?

    Yes. But no need to go to the expense of an external enclosure if you're
    happy to use the spare HD as a permanent fixture in the new box. Unless
    you want to move it from PC to PC.

    > Who makes these types of enclosures ? Brand recommendations ?
    > Does it have to have a power supply built in ?

    Google is your friend. 'External hard drive enclosure' as a search term
    wouldn't take you too far off target.

    > Also, how would it communicate with the new PC: via USB ?
    > Or something ese ?

    Yes. USB or something else.

    > I heard about Firewire and 1394 Bus.
    > What are these ? Something to consider ?

    Google is still your friend.

    > Any thoughts on all of this, and opinions, would be most appreciated.

    My opinion: you're an idle fucker who can't be bothered doing his own
    googling.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06