HD Formatting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Toolman Tim, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Toolman Tim

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "anOLDun" <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Lo All
    >
    > OS = WinME
    >
    > I have a new Hard Drive that i had started to format when i was hit by a
    > brief power cut.
    >
    > When the power came back up i tried to finished the formatting......
    > however
    > i now get an error message saying that :-
    >
    > "DoS cannot continue formatting please use windows scandisk to repair the
    > problem."
    >
    > Does this mean i am to run scandisk from inside Windows as opposed to
    > running it from insideDoS?..if it doesn't mean this what does it mean?
    >
    > Many thanks

    I'd suggest running Scandisk from within Windows, since it says "please use
    Windows Scandisk" in the message you quoted...

    anOLDun, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Toolman Tim

    TJ Guest

    anOLDun <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote:

    > Lo All
    >
    > OS = WinME
    >
    > I have a new Hard Drive that i had started to format when i was hit
    > by a brief power cut.
    >
    > When the power came back up i tried to finished the formatting......
    > however i now get an error message saying that :-
    >
    > "DoS cannot continue formatting please use windows scandisk to repair
    > the problem."
    >
    > Does this mean i am to run scandisk from inside Windows as opposed to
    > running it from insideDoS?..if it doesn't mean this what does it mean?
    >
    > Many thanks

    Is this a Re-post, or a Re-bait?

    TJ, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Toolman Tim

    anOLDun Guest

    HI TJ
    umm.......this is the first time i have posted this message.

    And i have no idea what <snip> "Re-bait" means

    anOLDun, Feb 28, 2005
  5. Toolman Tim

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi TJ
    Did a "search" for "re-bait"

    Re-Bait =
    "There are millions of people who contribute to newsgroups from all over the
    globe, so some ideas that cross your screen may seem weird and offensive.
    If some statement or idea offends you don't take it personally. Simply
    ignore it. Some people will post controversial opinions just to see if they
    can get a reaction from others (Flame Bait). If you respond to these
    articles you're reacting just the way the author intended."

    Is this what you mean?

    If it is ......... I have no idea why you think this is what i am/was
    doing....... so please clarify then I will ensure i don't repeat the "error"

    Thanks

    anOLDun, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Toolman Tim

    EricP Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 01:29:52 -0000, "anOLDun"
    <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> babbled like a waterfall and said:

    >Lo All
    >
    >OS = WinME
    >
    >I have a new Hard Drive that i had started to format when i was hit by a
    >brief power cut.
    >
    >When the power came back up i tried to finished the formatting...... however
    >i now get an error message saying that :-
    >
    >"DoS cannot continue formatting please use windows scandisk to repair the
    >problem."
    >
    >Does this mean i am to run scandisk from inside Windows as opposed to
    >running it from insideDoS?..if it doesn't mean this what does it mean?
    >
    >Many thanks

    It would be better to FDISK it and start again.

    EricP, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Toolman Tim

    anOLDun Guest

    Hi EricP

    I am almost certain i tried "FDISK" one of the error message i got directed
    me to a help file and fdisk was one of the things it suggested i
    try.......can't remember what happened when i used FDisk. I'll' have to re
    connect the hard drive and try again.

    cheers
    for reply

    anOLDun, Feb 28, 2005