HD format war over, HD-DVD wins

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by elrous0@pop.uky.edu, Jan 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jan 11, 2007

  2. Derek Janssen, Jan 11, 2007

  3. MassiveProng Guest

    MassiveProng, Jan 12, 2007
  4. MassiveProng Guest

    On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 18:25:29 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Well, that was fast:
    >>
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

    >...Gosh, it'll be as successful as porn on UMD! :)

    You should see all those guys on the bus with their PSPs playing
    their porn for their girlfriends...

    MassiveProng, Jan 12, 2007
  5. MassiveProng wrote:

    > On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, Gave us:
    >

    >>Well, that was fast:
    >>
    >>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

    > I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

    Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
    isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
    when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
    Internet)--
    And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com

    ---
    A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
    leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
    have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
    story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
    it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
    I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
    way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
    film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
    HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
    difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
    Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
    you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
    often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
    sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
    much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
    and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
    companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
    that porn will decide this format war.
    ---

    Derek Janssen (hard for us old-schoolers to accept, but porn rapidly
    seems to be becoming the Atari of the home-theater wars)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 12, 2007
  6. MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >MassiveProng wrote:
    >
    >> On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, Gave us:
    >>

    >>>Well, that was fast:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

    >> I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

    >Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
    >isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
    >when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
    >Internet)--
    >And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com
    >
    >---
    >A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
    >leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
    >have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
    >story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
    >it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
    >I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
    >way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
    >film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
    >HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
    >difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
    >Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
    >you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
    >often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
    >sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
    >much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
    >and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
    >companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
    >that porn will decide this format war.

    Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.

    That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
    even see cross over pressings.

    MassiveProng, Jan 12, 2007
  7. MassiveProng wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > <> Gave us:

    >>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
    >>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
    >>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
    >>Internet)--
    >>And pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
    >>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
    >>
    >>---
    >>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
    >>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
    >>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
    >>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
    >>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
    >>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
    >>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
    >>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
    >>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
    >>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
    >>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
    >>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
    >>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
    >>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
    >>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
    >>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
    >>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
    >>that porn will decide this format war.

    > Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.
    >
    > That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
    > even see cross over pressings.

    ....Uh, you did read the part where the porn studios (among other
    mom-and-pop's) said they adopted HD because Blu was too danged expensive
    for struggling indies to produce?

    Derek Janssen (a fact also overlooked in the VHS vs. Beta war)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 12, 2007
  8. manitou Guest

    manitou, Jan 12, 2007
  9. MassiveProng Guest

    On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:27:03 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >MassiveProng wrote:
    >> On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
    >> <> Gave us:

    >>>Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
    >>>isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
    >>>when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
    >>>Internet)--
    >>>And pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
    >>>http://www.thedigitalbits.com
    >>>
    >>>---
    >>>A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
    >>>leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
    >>>have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
    >>>story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
    >>>it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
    >>>I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
    >>>way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
    >>>film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
    >>>HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
    >>>difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
    >>>Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
    >>>you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
    >>>often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
    >>>sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
    >>>much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
    >>>and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
    >>>companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
    >>>that porn will decide this format war.

    >> Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.
    >>
    >> That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
    >> even see cross over pressings.

    >...Uh, you did read the part where the porn studios (among other
    >mom-and-pop's) said they adopted HD because Blu was too danged expensive
    >for struggling indies to produce?

    Does that not mean then, that the end result is a few "indies" that
    are now struggling a bit less? as in employed.

    MassiveProng, Jan 13, 2007
  10. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Derek Janssen <> wrote:
    >MassiveProng wrote:
    >
    >> On 11 Jan 2007 14:01:01 -0800, Gave us:
    >>

    >>>Well, that was fast:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/01/11/ces2007_hddvd_blu_ray/

    >> I guess I am supposed to take that as a "shot in the arm" ;-]

    >Of course, today's Digital Bits identified the official reason why this
    >isn't much to notice (ie. porn "inventing" new technologies was way back
    >when we couldn't find it, and hence pretty much topped out at the
    >Internet)--
    >And goes pretty much goes on to detail the <ick> *unofficial* reason...
    >http://www.thedigitalbits.com
    >
    >---
    >A few readers have e-mailed us this week about the news that some of the
    >leading porn companies, like Digital Underground and Wicked Pictures,
    >have decided to back HD-DVD for cost and ease of production reasons (see
    >story here at ABC News)."Porn decided the VHS vs. Betamax format war, so
    >it'll decide the HD format war too." is the typical comment. Here's why
    >I doubt it: Back in the days of the VHS vs. Beta format war, the only
    >way to watch porn was to visit a seedy adult movie theater or on Super-8
    >film. So when cheap, convenient porn on tape finally arrived, it was a
    >HUGE deal, demand was massive and it benefited VHS greatly. The
    >difference today is, cheap porn is already available EVERYWHERE on the
    >Internet and particularly on good old standard DVD. Also, have any of
    >you actually seen naked people in high-definition? Let me tell you, it's
    >often a much better idea in theory than in reality. Porn stars may look
    >sexy as all get out in standard definition, but... well, maybe not so
    >much in HD. You can't hide those plastic surgery scars, stretch marks
    >and a__-pimples in high-def. I'm just saying. Bottom line: Porn
    >companies backing HD-DVD is not insignificant, but I doubt very much
    >that porn will decide this format war.
    >---

    Those arent A$$ pimples, they are most likely HIV or Herpies.

    GMAN, Jan 13, 2007
  11. "MassiveProng" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:...
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 01:07:24 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > <> Gave us:
    >
    > That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
    > even see cross over pressings.

    I don't think that would solve the problem...

    Suppose DVDs are released as both HD and Bluray playable, I would still be
    reluctant to buy a (lets say, HD) player, because if Bluray eventually wins,
    then they're bound to go back to releasing exclusively Bluray.

    *Players* that can handle both formats, however, could resolve the war a
    little faster. (Once they're cheap enough, I wouldn't mind buying a
    dual-format player, because then it wouldn't matter if one format stops
    being produced.)

    The Man With No Name, Jan 13, 2007
  12. MassiveProng wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 04:27:03 -0500, Derek Janssen
    > <> Gave us:

    >>> Very well done, I must say... I agree. Times have changed.
    >>>
    >>> That's why I see no war, and once the studios get comfortable, we'll
    >>>even see cross over pressings.

    >>...Uh, you did read the part where the porn studios (among other
    >>mom-and-pop's) said they adopted HD because Blu was too danged expensive
    >>for struggling indies to produce?

    > Does that not mean then, that the end result is a few "indies" that
    > are now struggling a bit less? as in employed.

    It means, like porn (which, as noted, won't matter all that much)--but
    more importantly like everybody else when VHS first broke out--it means
    that every small company can leap on:

    The biggest battle to mainstream customer acceptance is to establish
    which product looks "normal" by being out there everywhere, and which
    one looks like the cheap rival we wish would go away...
    Before CES, Blu looked more and more like the "normal" format for being
    supported by the most movie studios--But, if looser licensing and
    cheaper production costs means that more companies find it easier to
    jump onto HD overnight, that means more default HD titles out on shelves
    to go with the cheaper players.
    Whereas up till now, the 50-50 split's been too confusing for normal folk.

    (Now, don't facts make a more interesting topic discussion post than the
    backyard-wrestling "fucktard" stuff?....Guess my age and win a prize!) :)

    Derek Janssen (who's basically wiping up the field, here)

    Derek Janssen, Jan 13, 2007
  13. MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 13:06:19 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> Gave us:

    >Derek Janssen (who's basically wiping up the field, here)

    Bullshit. You threw a new factor into the fray. If cheaper
    production costs are in for both discs and hardware, the cheaper is
    going to win every time.

    So you are no longer enlightening... at least no so much as you
    apparently think yourself to be via your self adoring sigtardedness.
    heheheheh ;-]

    MassiveProng, Jan 13, 2007