    I'm not concerned over data loss - onsite/offsite backups - but rebuilding
    is a total pain. If a failure causes corrupion in the o/s files, then using
    a mirror or image doesnt help.

    old man, Nov 20, 2005

  2. old man

    philo Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message
    news:WmYff.3471$...
    > Win2k sp4
    > Am I just unlucky?
    > I have had 2 Samsung spinpoint SP1614C sata drives fail within 18 months
    > (under warranty).
    > They are in an ally.twr.case and have 2 case fans blowing over them. Temps
    > are monitored. The sys doesnt run hot and is in use 24/7 for data apps.
    > Over 5 years I have had some 6 hd's fail, only 2 out of warranty.
    > I'm not concerned over data loss - onsite/offsite backups - but rebuilding
    > is a total pain. If a failure causes corrupion in the o/s files, then

    using
    > a mirror or image doesnt help.

    yeah...
    i built a machine for a friend of mine who has a lot of data...
    and in one year 4 different drives failed.
    they were all different mfg's. one drive even failed after about 4 weeks.
    after the drives were warrantied...the replacements have been working fine
    though.

    go figure!
    better still...go and do a backup.
    he must have about 100 DVD's by now!!!!

    philo, Nov 20, 2005

  3. old man

    Dan Evans Guest

    "old man" <> wrote in message

    > Win2k sp4
    > Am I just unlucky?
    > I have had 2 Samsung spinpoint SP1614C sata drives fail within 18 months
    > (under warranty).
    > They are in an ally.twr.case and have 2 case fans blowing over them. Temps
    > are monitored. The sys doesnt run hot and is in use 24/7 for data apps.
    > Over 5 years I have had some 6 hd's fail, only 2 out of warranty.
    > I'm not concerned over data loss - onsite/offsite backups - but rebuilding
    > is a total pain. If a failure causes corrupion in the o/s files, then
    > using a mirror or image doesnt help.

    According to my main supplier, SATA are about 10% of HDD sales, and about
    80% of HDD returns. Best I've come up with is use a PSU with a SATA power
    connector, not a molex SATA adaptor, and have a fan on it. Sucks that normal
    IDE drives days are numbered and soon it will be all SATA (they tell me)
    given the unreliability of the drives and the performance to get them
    working as boot devices under Windows.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 20, 2005