    I don't mind replacing the drive, but I'd like to recover the data from it.
    Can anyone suggest the best option (price, for example) for data recovery
    from a Maxtor drive?

    Smokinghawk, Nov 22, 2004

  2. It's too bad your common sense didn't extend to backing up your data. You
    might try any of the following:

    http://www.drivecrash.com/index.htm

    http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/disklabs.htm

    http://www.ontrack.com/services/

    Good Luck

    btb

    Bruce T. Berger, Nov 22, 2004

  3. Smokinghawk wrote:
    > My slave drive failed spontaneously tonight, resulting in a scraping sound
    > when I tried to access it. Having enough common sense to immediately stop
    > furthering the damage, I've disconnected it from the ribbon so I can run my
    > computer without accessing that physical drive.
    >
    > I don't mind replacing the drive, but I'd like to recover the data from it.
    > Can anyone suggest the best option (price, for example) for data recovery
    > from a Maxtor drive?

    From your description, it sounds pretty bad. Spinrite from www.grc.com
    may work, or the software Maxtor provides, or even Norton's (shudder)
    stuff. If the data is important enough though, you're probably looking
    at several hundred dollars to send it off for data recovery. There's all
    sorts of ways that *might* work. One homebrew method I see mentioned
    occasionally is to put it in a ziplock bag and freeze the drive
    overnight and then give it a whirl. You can Google up quite a bit of
    info on either data recovery or freezing a hard drive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 22, 2004
  4. Smokinghawk

    Kenny Guest

    Maybe something here will help, the freezer option does work sometimes long
    enough to slave it to a working drive to get data off.

    http://www.hddrecovery.com.au/downloads/200ways.pdf

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Nov 22, 2004
  5. Smokinghawk

    Jerry G. Guest

    From our experience, the drive recovery services are very expensive. We were
    once quoted several thousand dollars just to start! They take the platters
    out while inside of a sterile working environment that is in a lab. They
    then use a built up jig to run the platters and read the data form them.
    This involves many hours of delicate work. There is no guarantee of
    anything. It is all labour can cost charges to do the retrieval. '

    A low cost solution is to have a backup system in place. Each of our
    machines has a ghost backup of their complete system on a second set of hard
    disks. If something major goes down, we can have the data back within about
    2 hours at the most. We do a daily data backup, and every week we do a full
    system backup for each machine.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Nov 22, 2004

    Try for example http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm It might work like a dream.

    Terje Johan Abrahamsen, Nov 22, 2004
  7. Smokinghawk

    nobody Guest

    Smokinghawk wrote

    > My slave drive failed spontaneously tonight, resulting in a scraping sound
    > when I tried to access it. Having enough common sense to immediately stop
    > furthering the damage, I've disconnected it from the ribbon so I can run my
    > computer without accessing that physical drive.
    >
    > I don't mind replacing the drive, but I'd like to recover the data from it.
    > Can anyone suggest the best option (price, for example) for data recovery
    > from a Maxtor drive?

    yeah freeze the drive and then use knoppix to make a bit image on a backup drive
    --
    °¿ °

    nobody, Nov 22, 2004