    Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?

    I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    DerbyDad03, Feb 16, 2009

  2. DerbyDad03

    Mutley Guest

    DerbyDad03 <> wrote:

    >I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    >to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    >recorder.
    >
    >I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    >VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    >most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    >here for the real answer.
    >
    >Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?
    >
    >I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    >DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    My DVD recorder has inputs for both composite and Svideo so assuming
    your STB has one of the outputs you should be OK..

    Your assumption about the quality is correct. After you copy them to
    your DVD recorder you can then archive to DVD media.

    Mutley, Feb 17, 2009

  3. DerbyDad03

    DerbyDad03 Guest

    Re: HD-DVR - Is "Copy to VCR same as Copy to DVD?

    On Feb 17, 1:07 am, Mutley <>
    wrote:
    > DerbyDad03 <> wrote:
    > >I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    > >to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    > >recorder.

    > >I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    > >VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    > >most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    > >here for the real answer.

    > >Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?

    > >I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    > >DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    > My DVD recorder has inputs for both composite and Svideo so assuming
    > your STB has one of the outputs you should be OK..

    STB? What does that stand for?

    > Your assumption about the quality is correct.  After you copy them to
    > your DVD recorder you can then archive to DVD media.

    Why is this a two step process? Writing to a VCR is a single step.
    Does a DVD recorder work differently?

    Thanks again.

    DerbyDad03, Feb 17, 2009
  4. DerbyDad03

    Netmask Guest

    "DerbyDad03" <> wrote in message
    >I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    > to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    > recorder.
    >
    > I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    > VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    > most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    > here for the real answer.
    >
    > Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?
    >
    > I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    > DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    Recording to VCR means the resulting quality is really badly degraded way
    down to VHS standard - recording direct to DVD assuming the recorder has a
    hard disk built in keeps the quality much closer to the original. I would
    suggest you post your question at www.videhelp.com as the folk who inhabit
    this forum are quite helpful and knowledgeable. Once you have the DVD if you
    want to do some fancy editing on your PC all is necessary is to copy the VOB
    files (actually MPEG) to your PC and then using a MPEG editor you can cut
    out or add effects etc. It's a pity you don't have a PVR (Personal Video
    Recorder) with a cable input such as the Beyonwiz unit
    http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/DP_P2_overview.asp so far only available in
    Australia but I'm sure there must be US equivalents although we don't have
    encoded transmissions, except for Pay-Tv, so recording digital TV is no
    problem recording digital signals directly. STB stands for Set top Box

    Netmask, Feb 17, 2009
  5. DerbyDad03

    Guest

    DerbyDad03 wrote:

    > I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    > to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    > recorder.
    >
    > I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    > VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    > most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    > here for the real answer.
    >
    > Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?
    >
    > I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    > DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    "Record to VHS" is a generic term. I am sure your SA 8240 is the same
    as a TiVo i.e. the only thing special about "Record to VHS" feature is
    it
    prevent any automatic messages (like the DVR need to change channels)
    from popping up and ruining the recording. On a TiVo, it also disables
    most of the buttons on the remote in case you absentmindedly press one.
    Your DVD probably does also.

    -Bill

    , Feb 17, 2009
  6. DerbyDad03

    On Feb 17, 6:25 am, "Netmask" <> wrote:
    > "DerbyDad03" <> wrote in message

    > >I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    > > to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    > > recorder.

    > > I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    > > VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    > > most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    > > here for the real answer.

    > > Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?

    > > I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    > > DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    > Recording to VCR means the resulting quality is really badly degraded way
    > down to VHS standard - recording direct to DVD assuming the recorder has a
    > hard disk built in keeps the quality much closer to the original. I would
    > suggest you post your question atwww.videhelp.comas the folk who inhabit
    > this forum are quite helpful and knowledgeable. Once you have the DVD if you
    > want to do some fancy editing on your PC all is necessary is to copy the VOB
    > files (actually MPEG) to your PC and then using a MPEG editor you can cut
    > out or add effects etc.  It's a pity you don't have a PVR (Personal Video
    > Recorder) with a cable input such as the Beyonwiz unithttp://www.beyonwiz..com.au/DP_P2_overview.asp so far only available in
    > Australia but I'm sure there must be US equivalents although we don't have
    > encoded transmissions, except for Pay-Tv,  so recording digital TV is no
    > problem recording digital signals directly. STB stands for Set top Box

    Thanks. I'll check out the videohelp forums!

    DerbyDad03, Feb 17, 2009
  7. DerbyDad03

    Jerry Guest

    >I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    > to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    > recorder.
    >
    > I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    > VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    > most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    > here for the real answer.
    >
    > Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?
    >
    > I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    > DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    I have a Scientific Atlantic 8300HD DVR and I use the "copy to vcr" function
    to copy either to VHS tape or DVD+r/w's, works exactly the same for both.
    There is absolutely no reason to copy to vhs tape first.

    Jerry, Feb 17, 2009
  8. DerbyDad03

    RickMerrill Guest

    DerbyDad03 wrote:
    > On Feb 17, 1:07 am, Mutley <>
    > wrote:
    >> DerbyDad03 <> wrote:
    >>> I don't have a DVD recorder yet but I'll buy one tonight if the Copy
    >>> to VCR feature of my Scientific Atlanta 8240HDC will write to a DVD
    >>> recorder.
    >>> I called my cable company (TWC) and was told that you have to go to a
    >>> VCR first and then to a DVD. I know that phone reps are not always the
    >>> most knowledgable (or not allowed to go off-script) so I'm checking
    >>> here for the real answer.
    >>> Does a DVD recorder use the same input signal as a VCR?
    >>> I'm assumig I'll get better quality if I copy a HD recording from the
    >>> DVR to DVD vs. a VHS tape - true?

    >> My DVD recorder has inputs for both composite and Svideo so assuming
    >> your STB has one of the outputs you should be OK..

    > STB? What does that stand for?
    >
    >> Your assumption about the quality is correct. After you copy them to
    >> your DVD recorder you can then archive to DVD media.

    > Why is this a two step process? Writing to a VCR is a single step.
    > Does a DVD recorder work differently?
    >
    > Thanks again.

    Some STB (Set Top Box - sits on top of the tv) will "protect" the show
    by preventing it from being copied. A VCR (VHS recording) will record
    the show and NOT protect it... A DVD from an STB "protects" the record
    so that it will not burn.

    RickMerrill, Feb 17, 2009
  9. DerbyDad03

    Jerry Guest

    "RickMerrill" <> wrote in message
    > DerbyDad03 wrote:
    >> On Feb 17, 1:07 am, Mutley <>
    >> wrote:
    >>> My DVD recorder has inputs for both composite and Svideo so assuming
    >>> your STB has one of the outputs you should be OK..

    >> STB? What does that stand for?
    >>
    >>> Your assumption about the quality is correct. After you copy them to
    >>> your DVD recorder you can then archive to DVD media.

    >> Why is this a two step process? Writing to a VCR is a single step.
    >> Does a DVD recorder work differently?
    >>
    >> Thanks again.
    >>

    > Some STB (Set Top Box - sits on top of the tv) will "protect" the show by
    > preventing it from being copied. A VCR (VHS recording) will record
    > the show and NOT protect it... A DVD from an STB "protects" the record
    > so that it will not burn.

    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to say but an STB has no way of
    knowing if your recording to a VHS tape or a DVD disk.

    Jerry, Feb 17, 2009
  10. DerbyDad03

    RickMerrill Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > "RickMerrill" <> wrote in message
    >> DerbyDad03 wrote:
    >>> STB? What does that stand for?

    >>> Why is this a two step process? Writing to a VCR is a single step.
    >>> Does a DVD recorder work differently?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again.
    >>>

    >> Some STB (Set Top Box - sits on top of the tv) will "protect" the show by
    >> preventing it from being copied. A VCR (VHS recording) will record
    >> the show and NOT protect it... A DVD from an STB "protects" the record
    >> so that it will not burn.
    >>

    > Maybe I'm misunderstanding what your trying to say but an STB has no way of
    > knowing if your recording to a VHS tape or a DVD disk.

    True. I should have said some STB "try" to protect media rights, but a
    VHS will not record that part of the signal. So I speculate that
    recording to a VHS THEN to a DVD might bypass the copy protection. But
    then the VHS degrades quality.

    RickMerrill, Feb 20, 2009