    later on, but if I can start buying HDDVDs, I will ahead when I do get
    an HDDVD system.

    thanks
    Mista Fadedglory, Mar 18, 2006

  2. Mista Fadedglory

    Tonester Guest

    "Mista Fadedglory" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Just wondering,
    >
    > I have seen that a number of companies will begin to release HDDVDs of
    > current titles. I am a ways away from purchasing an HD DVD player, so
    > I'm wondering will HDDVD titles be able to be played on regular DVD
    > players? I realize that I won't be getting all the bang that I will
    > later on, but if I can start buying HDDVDs, I will ahead when I do get
    > an HDDVD system.

    Nope, you'll need a new player.
    Tonester, Mar 18, 2006

  3. Mista Fadedglory

    Tonester Guest

    "Tonester" <> wrote in message

    > "Mista Fadedglory" <> wrote in message
    >> Just wondering,
    >>
    >> I have seen that a number of companies will begin to release HDDVDs of
    >> current titles. I am a ways away from purchasing an HD DVD player, so
    >> I'm wondering will HDDVD titles be able to be played on regular DVD
    >> players? I realize that I won't be getting all the bang that I will
    >> later on, but if I can start buying HDDVDs, I will ahead when I do get
    >> an HDDVD system.

    > Nope, you'll need a new player.

    Actually I might be wrong:

    Ribas also emphasized that HD DVD's hybrid support was ideal for consumers.
    As I noted yesterday, the idea is simple: if HD DVD discs can play standard
    definition content in already-existing DVD players, then the entire industry
    could theoretically switch to HD DVD printing quickly, and kill two birds
    with one stone. As you may know, a DVD is comprised of two discs that when
    bonded together are 1.2mm thick. Toshiba's current plan is to put SD content
    on one side of the disc, and HD content on the other side. In theory, this
    eliminates problems with older DVD players having difficulties focusing on
    dual-layer content on one side of the disc. With the costs of converting
    existing DVD production lines to HD DVD lines being significantly cheaper
    than supporting Blu-ray, HD DVD proponents see HD DVD as being a no-brainer.
    The "future proofing" of the format means everyone goes home happy,
    including consumers who buy DVDs next year that will play back in HD
    whenever they get around to upgrading their players two years from now.
    Tonester, Mar 18, 2006
  4. Mista Fadedglory

    Alpha Guest

    "Tonester" <> wrote in message

    > "Tonester" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Mista Fadedglory" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just wondering,
    >>>
    >>> I have seen that a number of companies will begin to release HDDVDs of
    >>> current titles. I am a ways away from purchasing an HD DVD player, so
    >>> I'm wondering will HDDVD titles be able to be played on regular DVD
    >>> players? I realize that I won't be getting all the bang that I will
    >>> later on, but if I can start buying HDDVDs, I will ahead when I do get
    >>> an HDDVD system.

    >> Nope, you'll need a new player.

    > Actually I might be wrong:
    >
    > Ribas also emphasized that HD DVD's hybrid support was ideal for
    > consumers. As I noted yesterday, the idea is simple: if HD DVD discs can
    > play standard definition content in already-existing DVD players, then the
    > entire industry could theoretically switch to HD DVD printing quickly, and
    > kill two birds with one stone. As you may know, a DVD is comprised of two
    > discs that when bonded together are 1.2mm thick. Toshiba's current plan is
    > to put SD content on one side of the disc, and HD content on the other
    > side. In theory, this eliminates problems with older DVD players having
    > difficulties focusing on dual-layer content on one side of the disc. With
    > the costs of converting existing DVD production lines to HD DVD lines
    > being significantly cheaper than supporting Blu-ray, HD DVD proponents see
    > HD DVD as being a no-brainer. The "future proofing" of the format means
    > everyone goes home happy, including consumers who buy DVDs next year that
    > will play back in HD whenever they get around to upgrading their players
    > two years from now.

    This is one of the huge selling points of HD DVD...particularly if they can
    do this a near current DVD prices.
    Alpha, Mar 18, 2006
  5. Mista Fadedglory

    Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message

    > "Tonester" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Tonester" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Mista Fadedglory" <> wrote in message

    >>> Nope, you'll need a new player.

    >> Actually I might be wrong:
    >>
    >> Ribas also emphasized that HD DVD's hybrid support was ideal for
    >> consumers. As I noted yesterday, the idea is simple: if HD DVD discs can
    >> play standard definition content in already-existing DVD players, then
    >> the entire industry could theoretically switch to HD DVD printing
    >> quickly, and kill two birds with one stone. As you may know, a DVD is
    >> comprised of two discs that when bonded together are 1.2mm thick.
    >> Toshiba's current plan is to put SD content on one side of the disc, and
    >> HD content on the other side. In theory, this eliminates problems with
    >> older DVD players having difficulties focusing on dual-layer content on
    >> one side of the disc. With the costs of converting existing DVD
    >> production lines to HD DVD lines being significantly cheaper than
    >> supporting Blu-ray, HD DVD proponents see HD DVD as being a no-brainer.
    >> The "future proofing" of the format means everyone goes home happy,
    >> including consumers who buy DVDs next year that will play back in HD
    >> whenever they get around to upgrading their players two years from now.
    >>

    > This is one of the huge selling points of HD DVD...particularly if they
    > can do this a near current DVD prices.

    See Goro's post above: Digital Bits reports the MSRP of the hybrids to be
    $39.95. Even with discounts, this is too high.
    Alpha, Mar 19, 2006