    quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    DVD... GET IT!!
    wandrinandz, Jun 17, 2006

  2. wandrinandz

    Bill Guest

    wandrinandz wrote:
    > If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
    > along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
    > cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
    > decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
    > quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    > THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    > DVD... GET IT!!

    These are first generation products...initial pricing means nothing. The
    first Sony Betamax was $1400 or so retail, but Beta was the first to
    break the under $300 barrier for a VCR, thanks to Sanyo. And, of course,
    VHS still won the war, in spite of the price advantage that Beta had for
    awhile.
    Bill, Jun 17, 2006

  3. On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, "wandrinandz"
    <> wrote:

    >If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
    >along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
    >cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
    >decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
    >quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    >THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    >DVD... GET IT!!

    Well I for one am pulling for HD-DVD but I gotta say that the first
    BluRay discs have shown up at Fry's and they are $9 cheeper than
    HD-DVD discs. $19.99 vs $28.99. Not sure why. Although the HD-DVD
    release titles are of more recent vintage than the BluRay. Neither
    group has the must have/own DVD that would help push the decision.
    Fred C. Dobbs, Jun 17, 2006
  4. wandrinandz

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, wandrinandz <> wrote:

    >If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
    >along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
    >cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
    >decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
    >quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    >THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    >DVD... GET IT!!

    from what I've heard, they both are and even if BR isn't, most of
    us (perhaps not you) can afford $30 for a separate DVD player.
    AZ Nomad, Jun 17, 2006
  5. wandrinandz

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/17/2006 6:53:25 AM, Fred C. Dobbs wrote:

    > Well I for one am pulling for HD-DVD but I gotta say that the first
    > BluRay discs have shown up at Fry's and they are $9 cheeper than
    > HD-DVD discs. $19.99 vs $28.99. Not sure why. Although the HD-DVD
    > release titles are of more recent vintage than the BluRay. Neither
    > group has the must have/own DVD that would help push the decision.

    I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element" on
    Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty spectacular on
    Blu-Ray.

    None of the other titles announced for either camp really excite me that
    much, though they're not all bad.
    --
    Marge: "Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't
    show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday."

    Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"
    Tarkus, Jun 17, 2006
  6. wandrinandz

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/17/2006 3:16:02 AM, wandrinandz wrote:

    > THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT
    > STANDARD DVD... GET IT!!

    The point is... It's no more backward compatible than Blu-Ray... GET IT!!
    --
    "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    days and doesn't die."

    Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"
    Tarkus, Jun 17, 2006
  7. wandrinandz

    Rich Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On 6/17/2006 3:16:02 AM, wandrinandz wrote:
    >
    > > THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT
    > > STANDARD DVD... GET IT!!

    > The point is... It's no more backward compatible than Blu-Ray... GET IT!!
    > --
    > "I'm sorry, Wendy, but I just don't trust anything that bleeds for five
    > days and doesn't die."
    >
    > Now playing: "Genesis - Firth of Fifth"

    Who CARES about backward compatibility? If people can't afford to get
    a TV (or system)
    with two inputs, one of their DVD player and one for their Blu-Ray
    player then to HELL with
    them.
    That would be the early adopter stance. :)
    Pragmatically, lacking backward compatibility is a killer. It has
    killed products like
    Intel's Itanium (though anything from Intel being killed is probably a
    good thing).
    Rich, Jun 17, 2006
  8. wandrinandz

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:31:04 GMT, AZ Nomad <>
    Gave us:

    >On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 11:16:02 +0100, wandrinandz <> wrote:
    >

    >>If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
    >>along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
    >>cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
    >>decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
    >>quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    >>THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    >>DVD... GET IT!!

    >from what I've heard, they both are and even if BR isn't, most of
    >us (perhaps not you) can afford $30 for a separate DVD player.

    That has to be one of the most retarded statements you have yet
    made.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jun 17, 2006
  9. wandrinandz

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element"
    > on
    > Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty spectacular on
    > Blu-Ray.

    Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said that
    it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:

    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 17, 2006
  10. wandrinandz

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/17/2006 12:49:59 PM, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element"
    >> on Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty
    >> spectacular on Blu-Ray.

    > Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said that
    > it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:
    >
    > http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

    Thanks for the link. Too bad, I guess I'll have to wait for Criterion or
    Superbit Blu-ray editions to get the wow factor. ;)

    At least the PCM 5.1 soundtrack sounds pretty exciting.
    --
    "Is there an Al Coholic here? Al Coholic!
    Anybody here know an Al Coholic?"

    Now playing: "Voivod - Polaroids"
    Tarkus, Jun 17, 2006
  11. wandrinandz

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Bill () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > If it's down to peoples wallets (which is what I have been saying all
    > > along), then why do people think they can afford bluray? If they are too
    > > cheapskate to buy hd-dvd, they will not appreciate the quality or have a
    > > decent size display to view it on, let alone have the amplification and
    > > quality speakers required to enjoy the dolby digital hd and dts hd surround.
    > > THE POINT IS... HD-DVD IS TRULY BACKWARD COMPATIBLE WITH CURRENT STANDARD
    > > DVD... GET IT!!
    > >

    > These are first generation products...initial pricing means nothing. The
    > first Sony Betamax was $1400 or so retail, but Beta was the first to
    > break the under $300 barrier for a VCR, thanks to Sanyo. And, of course,
    > VHS still won the war, in spite of the price advantage that Beta had for
    > awhile.

    In this case, though, recording isn't as big a deal as it was with the
    VCR format war.

    So, you come down to movie availability. I can tell you right now that
    as long as either of the optical HD disc formats have an "exclusive" on
    some movies, then both will be a relative failure.

    Even at $200 for each player, that's $400 plus the ability to have enough
    inputs for your display (remember that HD OTA/cable/satellite is starting
    to take off) for all your HD devices. Then, there's the need to educate
    the family that "Toy Story" plays in *this* player while "Shrek" plays
    in the *other* player.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jun 17, 2006
  12. wandrinandz

    Rich Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > > I have to say, I'd sure love to watch the upcoming "The Fifth Element"
    > > on
    > > Blu-Ray. As good as it looks on DVD, it must be pretty spectacular on
    > > Blu-Ray.

    > Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said that
    > it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:
    >
    > http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

    His review of the picture was scatter-brained, but what I did find
    interesting was that
    he said DD and DTS are now pretty much no longer needed since you can
    have
    full 5.1 uncompressed sound which is superior. Those of us who
    remember DD when it
    first came out on laserdisc (as opposed to what came out on DVD) will
    be happier for it.
    Rich, Jun 18, 2006
  13. wandrinandz

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said
    >> that
    >> it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:
    >>
    >> http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

    > His review of the picture was scatter-brained,

    "Scatter-brained", how? Because he doesn't get on his knees and worship
    at the altar of Blu-ray?

    > but what I did find
    > interesting was that
    > he said DD and DTS are now pretty much no longer needed since you can
    > have
    > full 5.1 uncompressed sound which is superior.

    Both formats are also capable of lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, which
    will sound identical to the studio master but take up substantially less
    disc space than uncompressed LPCM. With any of these formats, however,
    it's up to the studio to decide whether to use them or not.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 18, 2006
  14. wandrinandz

    Rich Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > >> Pretty much everyone who's seen the Fifth Element Blu-ray has said
    > >> that
    > >> it's very disappointing. Here's an example review:
    > >>
    > >> http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/fifthelement4.html

    > > His review of the picture was scatter-brained,

    > "Scatter-brained", how? Because he doesn't get on his knees and worship
    > at the altar of Blu-ray?

    I'm not a Blu-Ray fanatic. No, his review was typical amateur crap
    aimed at Joe
    Average.

    > > but what I did find
    > > interesting was that
    > > he said DD and DTS are now pretty much no longer needed since you can
    > > have
    > > full 5.1 uncompressed sound which is superior.

    > Both formats are also capable of lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, which
    > will sound identical to the studio master but take up substantially less
    > disc space than uncompressed LPCM. With any of these formats, however,
    > it's up to the studio to decide whether to use them or not.

    Like how most DTS tracks on DVD ended up being less than 1Mbps.
    Rich, Jun 19, 2006
  15. wandrinandz

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    >> "Scatter-brained", how? Because he doesn't get on his knees and
    >> worship
    >> at the altar of Blu-ray?

    > I'm not a Blu-Ray fanatic. No, his review was typical amateur crap
    > aimed at Joe
    > Average.

    How so?

    >> Both formats are also capable of lossless Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD,
    >> which
    >> will sound identical to the studio master but take up substantially
    >> less
    >> disc space than uncompressed LPCM. With any of these formats,
    >> however,
    >> it's up to the studio to decide whether to use them or not.

    > Like how most DTS tracks on DVD ended up being less than 1Mbps.

    Sort of. Although Sony is putting space-hogging LPCM on its first few
    releases for show, the vast majority of Blu-ray titles are expected to
    use only standard Dolby Digital or DTS. HD DVD discs at least use Dolby
    Digital Plus as the standard base.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 19, 2006
  16. wandrinandz

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/18/2006 5:58:27 PM, Joshua Zyber wrote:

    > Although Sony is putting space-hogging LPCM on its first few releases
    > for show, the vast majority of Blu-ray titles are expected to use only
    > standard Dolby Digital or DTS.

    Expected by whom?
    --
    "I'm scared to close my eyes. I'm scared to open them."

    Now playing: "Rush - Red Sector A"
    Tarkus, Jun 19, 2006