HD-DVD release hits a few snags

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Mar 14, 2006.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    http://today.reuters.co.uk/News/New...01_N14311257_RTRIDST_0_TECH-FILM-HDDVD-DC.XML

    By Thomas K. Arnold

    LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - The much-ballyhooed launch this
    month of the next-generation HD-DVD format promises to be more of a
    whimper than a bang.

    Warner Home Video, the only studio that in January had set a firm date,
    March 28, for its first high-definition DVD titles to arrive in stores,
    now says it might not be ready in time because of technical problems.

    "To be honest, the outlook is tenuous -- we're still coming out with an
    initial slate, but we may be a week or two later; we just don't know,"
    division president Ron Sanders said.

    Wal-Mart had been taking advance orders for the first slate of Warner
    titles on its Web site since mid-February, but customers began being
    notified Wednesday that their orders had been canceled.

    "That's because they had published prices, and we haven't set prices,"
    Sanders said.

    Wal-Mart was selling most of the titles, such as "Batman Begins" and
    "Million Dollar Baby," for $25.48, discounted from a list price the
    retailer pegged at $29.98.

    Best Buy also reportedly had to pull Warner HD-DVD titles from its
    weekly circular.

    Toshiba still is demonstrating its two HD-DVD players -- the company's
    road show hits Los Angeles on Wednesday with a demonstration at the
    Fry's in City of Industry -- and vows to stick by its original promise
    to have players in stores by month's end.

    "Everything is still the same," Toshiba spokesman Alejandro Arango
    said.

    But so far it appears that those will be the only players on the
    market, at least for the time being. In the nearly three months since
    Toshiba announced its players, not a single other consumer electronics
    manufacturer has chimed in.

    Moreover, sources report that only 10,000 Toshiba players are being
    shipped to retailers initially, a number that indicates low sales
    expectations. (A Toshiba spokesman would not comment on the figure.)
    And only one player, the cheaper HD-A1, is on sale (for the full list
    price of $499.99) at Amazon.com and the Web sites of other big
    retailers like Best Buy, while the Circuit City Web site is offering
    neither HD-DVD player.

    Toshiba also has a pricier model, the HD-XA1, at $799.99. A Web search
    found only two retailers accepting advance orders, Crutchfield and
    Sixth Avenue Electronics City.

    On the software front, it is unlikely that even a single HD-DVD title
    will be available for sale this month at any of the consumer
    electronics chains and discount retailers that are bringing in the
    players.

    Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment, which in January was one of
    three studios to announce ambitious slates of titles for HD-DVD
    release, still has set no dates, even with players set to arrive in
    store within two weeks. Assuming the traditional six-week solicitation
    period, "I'd be surprised" if any Paramount HD-DVD titles arrive in
    stores before mid-April, a studio source said. Paramount's first HD-DVD
    title will be the concert video "U2: Rattle and Hum," followed by nine
    others, including "Sahara," "The Italian Job" and "The Manchurian
    Candidate." The studio also is still banking on a day-and-date DVD and
    HD-DVD release of "Mission: Impossible 3," which opens in theaters in
    May and likely will be released on disc in late September.

    Universal Studios Home Entertainment, which announced a dozen titles in
    January, likewise hasn't scheduled any firm release dates. "We're just
    trying to set a date that makes sense," said a studio source who asked
    not to be named. "It's new technology, and dates are going to move
    around a bit. And keep in mind, this is a very small launch."

    One bit of good news for HD-DVD came Wednesday, when South Korea's LG
    Electronics said it would support the format as well as Blu-ray Disc,
    from Sony. Previously, LG was only in the Blu-ray camp, as are
    virtually all consumer electronics manufacturers. Product announcements
    are expected this year.

    Goro, Mar 14, 2006

  2. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    > Candidate." The studio also is still banking on a day-and-date DVD and
    > HD-DVD release of "Mission: Impossible 3," which opens in theaters in
    > May and likely will be released on disc in late September.
    >
    > Universal Studios Home Entertainment, which announced a dozen titles in
    > January, likewise hasn't scheduled any firm release dates. "We're just
    > trying to set a date that makes sense," said a studio source who asked
    > not to be named. "It's new technology, and dates are going to move
    > around a bit. And keep in mind, this is a very small launch."
    >
    > One bit of good news for HD-DVD came Wednesday, when South Korea's LG
    > Electronics said it would support the format as well as Blu-ray Disc,
    > from Sony. Previously, LG was only in the Blu-ray camp, as are
    > virtually all consumer electronics manufacturers. Product announcements

    The entire high definition disc rollout has been and will remain an utter
    fiasco....one that may likely doom both formats for something else.

    Alpha, Mar 15, 2006

  3. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    PS

    It is telling that they are only releasing 10,000 units up front....why
    would a studio release and master and spend money on movies with that kind
    of confidence? Ludicrous.

    Alpha, Mar 15, 2006
  4. "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > PS
    >
    > It is telling that they are only releasing 10,000 units up front....why
    > would a studio release and master and spend money on movies with that kind
    > of confidence? Ludicrous.

    I never gave much hope to either format. Society only bears so much
    technological change and it seems to me that people are pretty happy with
    dvd.

    So the low numbers for the HD-DVD players doesn't surprise me at all.

    But according to this article the real tell tale in all of this is going to
    be the PS3.

    http://www.cnet.com/4520-11405_1-6415593-1.html

    Bernie Woodham, Mar 15, 2006
  5. Goro

    Alpha Guest

    Alpha, Mar 15, 2006
  6. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Bernie Woodham wrote:
    > "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    > > PS
    > >
    > > It is telling that they are only releasing 10,000 units up front....why
    > > would a studio release and master and spend money on movies with that kind
    > > of confidence? Ludicrous.
    > >

    > I never gave much hope to either format. Society only bears so much
    > technological change and it seems to me that people are pretty happy with
    > dvd.
    >
    > So the low numbers for the HD-DVD players doesn't surprise me at all.
    >
    > But according to this article the real tell tale in all of this is going to
    > be the PS3.
    >
    > http://www.cnet.com/4520-11405_1-6415593-1.html

    FTFA:
    "Probably the most interesting demo I saw at this year's show was
    Pioneer's display of two 42-inch plasmas side by side: one showing a
    DVD, the other a Blu-ray disc. I'm not sure what point the company was
    trying to make, but it was clear that if you stood about 8 to 10 feet
    back from the displays--normal viewing distance--it was pretty hard to
    tell the difference between the two movies. When you got within 3 feet
    of the screens, you could see that the Blu-ray movie was sharper, but
    it wasn't a huge leap."

    How can this be true? From my normal viewing distance, there's a
    substantial difference in picture quality b/w DVD and OTA HD. With
    Disc-based HD ostensibly LESS compressed the PQ should be even better.
    I suppose that's the problem with subjective analysis.

    My problem has never been with the idea of a consumer HD playback unit;
    in fact, I'm really DYING for one. But it's the (potentially) poor
    implementations that has me bailing. I'd easily pay $1200+ (as much as
    i paid for my DVP-s7000 when it released) for a BluRay player IF it
    wasn't ridden with DRM, RegionCoding, PUOPs, etc.

    Then there's this statement:
    "The only good news is that the new HD movies, whether they're in
    HD-DVD or Blu-ray format, won't cost much more than current DVD titles;
    they'll allegedly run from $20 to $25."

    which flies in the face of a previous press release that gave wholesale
    prices of BR Discs at more than $25. I severely doubt that this
    statement is true and that the prices of HiDef disc will be
    substantially more than $25.

    -goro-

    Goro, Mar 15, 2006