    which has progressive outputs compared to a Hi-Def model using a Hi-Def
    dvd regarding video performance? Thanks for any help,Larry.

    , Mar 8, 2006

  2. Dan Luke Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I don't own a Hi Def tv yet but soon I want to purchase one.My question
    > is would there be a big or small difference between my old dvd player
    > which has progressive outputs compared to a Hi-Def model using a Hi-Def
    > dvd regarding video performance? Thanks for any help,Larry.

    DVDs played on my non-HD, p-scan player look damned good on my Panasonic HD
    plasma TV.

    The new HD players will have to get down into the $200 range or below before
    I will even consider buying one.

    --
    Dan

    Dan Luke, Mar 8, 2006

  3. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 10:53:04 -0600, Dan Luke <> wrote:

    ><> wrote:

    >>I don't own a Hi Def tv yet but soon I want to purchase one.My question
    >> is would there be a big or small difference between my old dvd player
    >> which has progressive outputs compared to a Hi-Def model using a Hi-Def
    >> dvd regarding video performance? Thanks for any help,Larry.

    >DVDs played on my non-HD, p-scan player look damned good on my Panasonic HD
    >plasma TV.

    >The new HD players will have to get down into the $200 range or below before
    >I will even consider buying one.

    And they had better not be any more user-hostile than today's dvd players.
    I *really* hate having to watch those idiotic fbi warnings again every
    time I pull out a rented disk to clean a thumbprint or remove scratches.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 8, 2006
  4. Mark B. Guest

    "AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message

    > And they had better not be any more user-hostile than today's dvd players.
    > I *really* hate having to watch those idiotic fbi warnings again every
    > time I pull out a rented disk to clean a thumbprint or remove scratches.

    Isn't that more a function of how the DVD is authored rather than the
    player?

    Mark

    Mark B., Mar 9, 2006
  5. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 20:26:41 -0500, Mark B. <> wrote:

    >"AZ Nomad" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> And they had better not be any more user-hostile than today's dvd players.
    >> I *really* hate having to watch those idiotic fbi warnings again every
    >> time I pull out a rented disk to clean a thumbprint or remove scratches.

    >Isn't that more a function of how the DVD is authored rather than the
    >player?

    Really? VHS authors were able to force the user not to skip the FBI
    idiocy? LD authors could do the same?

    AZ Nomad, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Jeff Rife Guest

    AZ Nomad () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Really? VHS authors were able to force the user not to skip the FBI
    > idiocy? LD authors could do the same?

    Yes, actually, it *was* possible to force a particular section of a
    laserdisc to "play" without being able to fast forward. It was never
    used to do that, and the player had to fully support the laserdisc
    standard (which included data in the VBI that told the player to "pause"
    or "play" on a particular frame), but it *could* have been used.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "What's goin' on down here?"

    Jeff Rife, Mar 9, 2006
  7. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 21:56:26 -0500, Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    >AZ Nomad () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> Really? VHS authors were able to force the user not to skip the FBI
    >> idiocy? LD authors could do the same?

    >Yes, actually, it *was* possible to force a particular section of a
    >laserdisc to "play" without being able to fast forward. It was never

    bullshit. No LD player locked out the user from skipping a section.

    AZ Nomad, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Jeff Rife Guest

    AZ Nomad () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > >Yes, actually, it *was* possible to force a particular section of a
    > >laserdisc to "play" without being able to fast forward. It was never

    > bullshit. No LD player locked out the user from skipping a section.

    It's correct that no disc was programmed to do this, but it could have
    been.

    If you have ever watched extras on laserdiscs, at times the video pauses
    automatically (on fully standards-compliant players). This is because of
    coding in the VBI that the player picks up. There is also a code for
    "play now". If you apply the "play now" code to a frame, then whatever
    you are doing when you hit that frame (fast forward, etc.) will be
    overridden and the disc would drop into "play" mode.

    So, if you apply "play now" to every frame in the entire sequence you
    don't want skipped *and* don't provide chapter stops, then there is
    little the user could do except watch (although holding down fast forward
    would probably get you moving a bit faster, as the players were slow to
    react to the VBI codes at times).

    --
    Jeff Rife | copy protection: n. A class of methods for

    Jeff Rife, Mar 9, 2006
  9. ivan Guest

    ivan, Mar 11, 2006