    If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
    and experiences.

    Thanks,
    oldman, Jan 14, 2007

  2. oldman

    AZ Nomad Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:37:46 -0800, oldman <> wrote:

    >Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
    >programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
    >with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

    Where did you get the insane notion that a HD-DVD player would be able
    to improve the mediocrity of a re-compressed video?

    Shit on an an HDTV set is still shit.
    AZ Nomad, Jan 14, 2007

  3. oldman

    Neck & Red Guest

    "oldman" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
    > programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
    > with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.
    >
    > If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
    > and experiences.

    An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
    player..so there's no improvement.
    Neck & Red, Jan 14, 2007
  4. oldman

    unclejr Guest

    Neck & Red wrote:
    > An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
    > player..so there's no improvement.

    He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
    HD-DVD player.

    I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
    compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
    upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

    -Junior
    unclejr, Jan 14, 2007
  5. oldman

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "oldman" <> wrote in message
    > Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
    > programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
    > with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

    Why don't you just quit bootlegging DVDs and buy legit copies, jackass?
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 14, 2007
  6. "unclejr" <> wrote in news:1168741075.380177.135740@
    11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:

    > Neck & Red wrote:
    >> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
    >> player..so there's no improvement.

    > He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
    > HD-DVD player.
    >
    > I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
    > compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
    > upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

    You'd think someone who could afford an HD-DVD player and HDTV would
    be able to buy their own movies.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Jan 14, 2007
  7. oldman

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:05:52 GMT, AZ Nomad
    <> Gave us:

    >On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:37:46 -0800, oldman <> wrote:
    >

    >>Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
    >>programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
    >>with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.

    >Where did you get the insane notion that a HD-DVD player would be able
    >to improve the mediocrity of a re-compressed video?
    >
    >Shit on an an HDTV set is still shit.

    Damn. You got one right.
    MassiveProng, Jan 14, 2007
  8. oldman

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 01:41:38 GMT, "Neck & Red" <>
    Gave us:

    >"oldman" <> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone tried a DVD produced via DVD Shrink or and one of the other
    >> programs used to compress a dual layered DVD to a single layered DVD
    >> with the HD-DVD players to boost the picture quality.
    >>
    >> If you were successful could you indicate the player used model number
    >> and experiences.

    >An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
    >player..so there's no improvement.

    It does inasmuch as it has better upconversion, and premium audio
    handling capacity.

    My HD-XA1 has top line audio processing.

    The best DVD players likely are a tad short of that mark. Even
    Pioneer's Elite series, and like it or not, they were still the
    masters of optical disc devices and post read stream handling.

    Alas... then they mistakenly chose BluTurd. If only Pioneer had
    chose to work with Toshiba. This thing would have been over before it
    even started.
    MassiveProng, Jan 14, 2007
  9. oldman

    MassiveProng Guest

    On Sat, 13 Jan 2007 22:06:34 -0600, "Aaron J. Bossig"
    <> Gave us:

    >"unclejr" <> wrote in news:1168741075.380177.135740@
    >11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> Neck & Red wrote:
    >>> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a normal DVD
    >>> player..so there's no improvement.

    >> He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a typical
    >> HD-DVD player.
    >>
    >> I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
    >> compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on his HDTV
    >> upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.

    >You'd think someone who could afford an HD-DVD player and HDTV would
    >be able to buy their own movies.

    Let alone the fact that there are several up-converting standard DVD
    form factor players out there. Cheaply priced.
    MassiveProng, Jan 14, 2007
  10. oldman

    Bill's News Guest

    unclejr wrote:
    > Neck & Red wrote:
    >> An HD-DVD player does not play a normal DVD any better than a
    >> normal
    >> DVD player..so there's no improvement.

    > He was probably driving at the upconverting to 720p chip on a
    > typical
    > HD-DVD player.

    You're undoubtedly right. Consider too that this unit
    http://www.oppodigital.com/opdv971h.html will produce, via
    DVI/HDMI, either 720p or 1080i from a DVD onto an HD monitor
    supporting either of those resolutions. And that a modestly
    priced graphics card will produce 1080p to an HD monitor
    supporting that.

    I can't attest to improvements of "compressed" DVDs, but I can
    vouch for xvid compressions of cropped, SD captured, digital TV
    shows, in 16:9 aspect played back via either way mentioned are
    very satisfactory on a 42" 1080p capable monitor. There is much
    to be said for good up-scaling of SD to HD resolution, which
    mitigates the need to rush into HD players for the near future.

    > I'm guessing that the OP is really trying to figure out if his
    > compressed (*cough* *cough* stolen) DVDs will look any good on
    > his
    > HDTV upconverted to 720p with an HD-DVD player.
    >
    > -Junior

    Aside: It seems to me that more DVDs are being sold (using
    IMDB/Amazon as a guide) in 4:3 format lately. Not the hottest
    items, but items only a little further down the list of new
    releases. It's having an effect on my buying habits, and I find
    myself looking for these items to appear on TV for capture. Has
    anyone else felt this?
    Bill's News, Jan 14, 2007