    consumer who is purchasing home electronics - I find it hard to
    believe there are that many naive people out there..."

    MP3newswire.net http://xrl.us/HDDVD
    Dave U.Random, Mar 8, 2008

  2. well then i wont either of the fucking formats then. ill just get a standard
    upconverting dvd player and somehow survive watching those. i know it will
    be tough but somehow ill make it.

    Leroy Jenkins, Mar 8, 2008

  3. Leroy Jenkins wrote:
    > well then i wont either of the fucking formats then. ill just get a standard
    > upconverting dvd player and somehow survive watching those. i know it will
    > be tough but somehow ill make it.

    Why not try one of the Toshiba Super UpConverting players?--
    The company seems to be promoting them now...

    Derek Janssen (no, the rest of us *aren't* going to get tired of that
    one joke for the next six months, thank you)
    Derek Janssen, Mar 9, 2008
  4. Dave U.Random

    T.B. Guest

    "Dave U.Random" wrote:

    > "...Huh? Did these people miss the memo that Blu-ray won the
    > war? Considering that high definition player technology is still
    > the domain of the early adopter - in other words the savviest
    > consumer who is purchasing home electronics - I find it hard to
    > believe there are that many naive people out there..."
    >
    > MP3newswire.net http://xrl.us/HDDVD

    Lotta people buy vhs tapes, laserdiscs and even ced discs on eBay. There's
    always going to be a market among a bunch of niche collectors of now
    obsolete, dead video formats looking to score hardware and software and dirt
    cheap prices.

    T.B.
    T.B., Mar 9, 2008
  5. Dave U.Random

    Relic Guest

    T.B. wrote:
    > "Dave U.Random" wrote:
    >
    >> "...Huh? Did these people miss the memo that Blu-ray won the
    >> war? Considering that high definition player technology is still
    >> the domain of the early adopter - in other words the savviest
    >> consumer who is purchasing home electronics - I find it hard to
    >> believe there are that many naive people out there..."
    >>
    >> MP3newswire.net http://xrl.us/HDDVD

    > Lotta people buy vhs tapes, laserdiscs and even ced discs on eBay.
    > There's always going to be a market among a bunch of niche collectors of
    > now obsolete, dead video formats looking to score hardware and software
    > and dirt cheap prices.
    >
    > T.B.

    I still on occasion buy VHS tapes (usually for a dollar or less) from
    the local thrift stores. Ah, the old CED discs. We used to have a player
    and something like 100 of those discs back in the mid-80s. Big, clunky
    12" platters you had to flip like a record (except you used the sleeve
    to input and retrieve the disc). But we watched them to death.

    While I will continue to buy DVD discs, I probably won't get a
    Blu-Ray disc til' I am forced to (and to be honest, I don't
    see Blu-Ray becoming dominant over DVD for a while yet).
    Relic, Mar 9, 2008
  6. Dave U.Random

    K. B. Guest

    One useful thing the Toshiba HD-A1 HD-DVD/DVD player does is
    downmix DTS soundtracks to stereo so they can be (somewhat)
    decoded using Dolby Pro-Logic/Pro-Logic II.

    Kirk Bayne
    alt.video.digital-tv Home Page
    <http://www.geocities.com/lislislislis/avdtv.htm>
    K. B., Mar 9, 2008
  7. On Mar 8, 6:28 pm, Dave U.Random <>
    wrote:
    > "...Huh? Did these people miss the memo that Blu-ray won the
    > war? Considering that high definition player technology is still
    > the domain of the early adopter - in other words the savviest
    > consumer who is purchasing home electronics - I find it hard to
    > believe there are that many naive people out there..."
    >
    > MP3newswire.nethttp://xrl.us/HDDVD

    The only idiot is the person who wrote what was quoted. If you can
    pick this technology up cheap right now, why wouldn't you? Blu-Ray is
    still not cheap enough for most consumers but some movie lovers and
    tech geeks would love picking up a really cheap HD DVD player... what
    with all the massive sales on the movies going on all over the place
    ($9.11 at DeepDiscount???).
    The alMIGHTY N, Mar 10, 2008
  8. Dave U.Random

    Phisherman Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 07:56:01 -0700 (PDT), The alMIGHTY N
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 8, 6:28 pm, Dave U.Random <>
    >wrote:
    >> "...Huh? Did these people miss the memo that Blu-ray won the
    >> war? Considering that high definition player technology is still
    >> the domain of the early adopter - in other words the savviest
    >> consumer who is purchasing home electronics - I find it hard to
    >> believe there are that many naive people out there..."
    >>
    >> MP3newswire.nethttp://xrl.us/HDDVD

    >The only idiot is the person who wrote what was quoted. If you can
    >pick this technology up cheap right now, why wouldn't you? Blu-Ray is
    >still not cheap enough for most consumers but some movie lovers and
    >tech geeks would love picking up a really cheap HD DVD player... what
    >with all the massive sales on the movies going on all over the place
    >($9.11 at DeepDiscount???).

    They can have all they want. I wouldn't want any HD nor Blu-ray even
    if they were all free. There will be a new Blu-ray format to be
    released fall 2008, but for Blu-ray to really take off we need lower
    prices!
    Phisherman, Mar 10, 2008