    Note Beta-Ray had just as many BOGO and 3 for 1 sales..etc as HD-DVD
    thoughout the year.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd

    Luke Duke, Dec 28, 2007

  2. Luke Duke

    Shonk Guest

    why are people so negative about blu-ray

    I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score

    But blu-ray is clearly the better format

    50gig a disk
    and they dont get scratches on them
    unlike my hd-dvd's

    I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays

    im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
    and my 360 for games

    The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look at
    them
    take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad

    not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

    Shonk, Dec 28, 2007

  3. Luke Duke

    Dan Guest

    So what is your point you own a HD DVD and you want it to win?
    This is the first proof that you found that it might.

    Dan, Dec 28, 2007
  4. In article <Kaedj.19109$>,
    "Shonk" <> wrote:

    > why are people so negative about blu-ray
    >
    > I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
    >
    > But blu-ray is clearly the better format
    >
    > 50gig a disk
    > and they dont get scratches on them
    > unlike my hd-dvd's
    >

    > I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays
    >
    > im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
    > and my 360 for games
    >

    > The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look at
    > them
    > take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad
    >
    > not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

    I've never seen it be an issue except with rentals. I've got lots of
    HDDVD and BluRay discs, all play superbly with little difference as to
    quality of playback.

    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 28, 2007
  5. Luke Duke

    Bells Guest

    "Shonk" <> wrote in message
    > why are people so negative about blu-ray
    >
    > I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
    >
    > But blu-ray is clearly the better format
    >
    > 50gig a disk
    > and they dont get scratches on them
    > unlike my hd-dvd's
    >

    > I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays
    >
    > im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
    > and my 360 for games
    >

    > The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look
    > at them
    > take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad
    >
    > not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

    They all scratch equally.
    Blu Ray disks have a rot problem though that is becoming common on DVD's
    I have 2 that have gone bad.

    http://www.digg.com/tech_news/Blu_ray_disc_coatings_starting_to_rot

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

    Bells, Dec 28, 2007
  6. Luke Duke

    Larry Bud Guest

    > and they dont get scratches on them
    > unlike my hd-dvd's

    Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

    Larry Bud, Dec 29, 2007
  7. In article
    <>,
    Larry Bud <> wrote:

    > > and they dont get scratches on them
    > > unlike my hd-dvd's

    > Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

    There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
    The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
    the cheerleader outfits... :)

    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 29, 2007
  8. Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > Larry Bud <> wrote:
    >
    >>>and they dont get scratches on them
    >>>unlike my hd-dvd's

    >>Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

    > There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
    > The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
    > the cheerleader outfits... :)

    Viz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ

    Derek Janssen (Bring It On 3: All or Nothing)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 29, 2007
  9. In article <hIgdj.572$Ko6.60@trndny02>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > <>,

    > >>Huh? Why would one be more scratch prone than others?

    > > There is a scratch resistance coating on BluRay that is not on HDDVD.
    > > The BD guys like to fawn over it while waving the pom-poms and wearing
    > > the cheerleader outfits... :)

    > Viz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5jEbZt6AIQ
    >
    > Derek Janssen (Bring It On 3: All or Nothing)

    He forgot to wear his cheerleader skirt!! <G>

    And just so you know, he didn't actually PLAY a single movie clip with
    his 'damaged' BD. Just mounting it doesn't mean it plays. Hell, I've
    NEVER had a DVD, HDDVD or BD disc not mount!

    You tube - the place for people with too much time on their hands.

    Lloyd Parsons, Dec 29, 2007
  10. Luke Duke

    Shonk Guest

    it was a batch of one film wasnt it..

    Shonk, Dec 29, 2007
  11. Luke Duke

    Calab Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'll take scratch over rot any day. I can avoid scratches, and if they
    > happen it's my own damn fault. If a company thinks that rot is
    > acceptable because it means consumers will buy another disc, screw
    > that! Tell me what to avoid and I will!

    What are you babbling about?

    Calab, Dec 29, 2007
  12. Luke Duke

    dork Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 28, 2:11 pm, "Bells" <> wrote:
    >
    >> They all scratch equally.
    >> Blu Ray disks have a rot problem though that is becoming common on DVD's
    >> I have 2 that have gone bad.

    > It doesn't look like traditional rot because the spots are all on the
    > plastic layer, even on the hub where there is no aluminum layer. Rot
    > (on laserdisc) was a failure in the aluminum, not the plastic.
    >
    > p.s. Blu-Ray discs are harder to scratch because they have an anti-
    > scratch coating. This is needed because the data is recorded much
    > closer to the surface of the disc.

    Which makes beta Ray more prone to damage and rot. A good scratch will kill
    a Beta Ray whil a DVD will play just fine.

    The Beta Ray movies I rent from BB are just as scratched the **** up as any
    other disk. At least 1/2 I rent don't play.
    Extra coating is good for kids I guess..still does not help much if at all.

    nothing beats just plain old common sense. none of my DVD's/Games or
    practically anything are scratched.

    dork, Dec 29, 2007
  13. Luke Duke

    dork Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 28, 1:48 pm, "Shonk" <> wrote:
    >
    >> why are people so negative about blu-ray

    > Because Sony shouldn't be allowed to control the entire distribution
    > chain from the time a movie is made through it being sold to the
    > consumer.
    >
    >> 50gig a disk

    Toshiba has a 51GB disk approved by all members including Disney. By the
    time it arrives later this year it will be a finished and fully tested spec
    unlike Beta Ray.

    note that MOST Beta Ray movies are still on 30GB disks.

    In fact most games especially from EA that are on the PS3 are just regular
    old...DVD's.

    Another thing, Warner Brothers masters ALL it's new HD stuff in HD-DVD
    first, then copies it to Blu ray.
    So if your watching a Blu ..Beta Ray WB movie, it's just a copy of an
    HD-DVD.

    dork, Dec 29, 2007
  14. In article <Kaedj.19109$>, Shonk <> wrote:
    >why are people so negative about blu-ray
    >
    >I love my 360 and have nearly 50k gamer score
    >
    >But blu-ray is clearly the better format
    >
    >50gig a disk
    >and they dont get scratches on them
    >unlike my hd-dvd's
    >

    >I own 6 hd-dvd's and 22 blu-rays
    >
    >im gona stick to what works for me my ps3 for films
    >and my 360 for games
    >

    >The biggest seller for me is no scratches on the disks everytime you look at
    >them
    >take a look at your hd-dvd's or a game they scratch like mad
    >
    >not one of my blu-rays has one single mark on it

    There were some recent posts that indicate the X-Box is prone
    to scratching disks. From your post it seems you use that platform
    for the HD-DVDs

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Dec 29, 2007
  15. Luke Duke

    Big Daddy Guest

    "Jordan" <> wrote in message
    > On Dec 28, 1:48 pm, "Shonk" <> wrote:
    >
    >> why are people so negative about blu-ray

    > Because Sony shouldn't be allowed to control the entire distribution
    > chain from the time a movie is made through it being sold to the
    > consumer.

    Utter hogwash. Sony is the only studio producing movies? Even if they
    were, what possible difference could it make? Would you be so concerned if
    Warner had a storage media as well?

    > If your HD-DVDs are getting scratched then one of 2 things is
    > happening:
    >
    > 1) You're an ape and shouldn't be allowed to own optical media OR...
    >
    > 2) You're making a common mistake, placing a disc in the case and
    > spinning it on the spindle so the label is right side up. When you do
    > this any dust or debris trapped between the disc and the case
    > scratches it. It happens with any disc you'd do this with.

    > I have around 500 DVDs and a couple hundred disc based games and have
    > never had a problem. If all your discs are getting scratched except
    > the ones with an anti-scratch coating then you need to look at how
    > you're handling the discs.

    Bully for you that you don't have problems with scratches. Others of us
    actually have kids and accidents happen (I've had multiple DVDs ruined by
    scratches). I've tought my kids how they are SUPPOSED to handle DVDs, that
    doesn't mean they always do it, or that they don't leave them out of the
    case, or they don't get put face down on the counter, etc. Heck my wife
    still does this after yelling at her dozens of times so I can't expect much
    more from my kids. I'm not always standing over their shoulder when they
    handle them, so it's definitely a BENEFIT to have a more scratch resistant
    media (just because YOU don't need that benefit, doesn't mean it's not a
    benefit).

    Big Daddy, Dec 29, 2007
  16. Luke Duke

    Big Daddy Guest

    "dork" <> wrote in message

    > Which makes beta Ray more prone to damage and rot.

    utter nonsense

    Big Daddy, Dec 29, 2007
  17. Luke Duke

    Shonk Guest

    yer thats from people moveing the machine when the disk is spinning
    i dont mean that sort of mark

    just general light scratches

    Shonk, Dec 29, 2007
  18. Luke Duke

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    "Luke Duke" <> once tried to test me. I ate their liver
    with some fava beans and a nice chianti

    > In an interesting development, Amazon.com's current (as of this
    > writing) list of best selling DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD sales charts shows
    > that four of the five Harry Potter films in the HD-DVD format are the
    > top four movie disk sellers on the online retailer. This is the first
    > time that a high-def movie disk has reached number on on Amazon.com's
    > movie sales charts (the Blu-Ray version of 300 peaked at number two
    > earlier this year). This massive increase was likely due to Amazon's
    > current buy one-get one free deal on selected HD-DVD releases. Other
    > HD-DVD movie in Amazon.com's top 25 current are Serenity (14), Hot
    > Fuzz (20) Children of Men (22) and Planet Earth (23). The highest
    > Blu-Ray release on Amazon.com at the moment is Planet Earth (34).
    >
    > Note Beta-Ray had just as many BOGO and 3 for 1 sales..etc as HD-DVD
    > thoughout the year.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/dvd

    What bollocks are you spreading, you leg humping gimp. Beta-ray my
    arse, how do you intend to be taken as impartial eh?

    I take it you've waited months for this brief windows of success, it
    took long enough for Blade Runner Blu-ray to drop, which was a very
    large pre-order and was top of the charts for a while.

    HD DVD fans are like Mac users, they feel so insecure about their wrong
    purchasing choice that they need to take swipes at the opposing
    technology. I'm still looking at shelf space in the HMV, and blu-
    ray/HDDVD split is still 3:1 on their shelves, Blockbuster still refuse
    to waste their time stocking HDDVD, yes here you are with your small
    willy trying to convice us that your puney format is still in the race.

    Try it again next year when PS3 are outselling 360s, then we'll see...

    --
    Thank you kindly

    POD {Ò¿Ó}
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸
    Oh people, know that you have committed great sins.
    If you ask me what proof I have for these words,
    I say it is because I am the punishment of God.
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Dec 29, 2007
  19. Luke Duke

    POD {Ò¿Ó} Guest

    "Dan" <> once tried to test me. I ate their liver with
    some fava beans and a nice chianti

    > So what is your point you own a HD DVD and you want it to win?
    > This is the first proof that you found that it might.

    No it isn't, it's taken 3 months for the Blade Runner Blu-ray to drop down
    the charts, this dickless gimp has had to wait all year for this one blip
    in the charts to cross post this shit all over usenet.

    --
    Thank you kindly

    POD {Ò¿Ó}
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸

    POD {Ò¿Ó}, Dec 29, 2007
  20. Luke Duke

    Gray One Guest

    In article <Xns9A15B4635E2ABWeLovePOD@195.188.240.200>,
    says...
    > No it isn't, it's taken 3 months for the Blade Runner Blu-ray to drop down
    > the charts, this dickless gimp has had to wait all year for this one blip
    > in the charts to cross post this shit all over usenet.

    Yet you reply with such vitriol? For fucks sake, why don't you try
    caring about something that is actually worth while. Saving sea turtles
    is a good one to start with but really who wins the HD war? Who gives a
    shit! The number of HD titles sold across both camps is still massively
    below normal SD DVD's. The number of people who own a HD TV is still
    tiny compared those with a good old 480p CRT. If you really need to
    direct your anger anywhere on the matter, point it at Sony & Toshiba and
    their HD camps for not agreeing on a standard.

    Gray One, Dec 29, 2007