    Blu-ray player is currently being marketed in Japan for about $3,500.

    From IMDB today.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 12, 2004

  2. Grand Inquisitor

    poldy Guest

    In article <8EDec.7558$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > High-definition DVDs are expected to hit the U.S. market in late 2005 or
    > early 2006. At about the same time Sony's Columbia TriStar Home
    > Entertainment (CTHE) plans to release its first high-definition movie
    > titles, Billboard magazine reported over the weekend. The players and
    > the discs are expected to employ the Blu-ray technology, which packs
    > onto a digital disk five times more information than a conventional DVD
    > disk does. In an interview with Billboard, Benjamin Feingold, president
    > of CTHE, commented, "It will be love at first sight when they see it.
    > People will be stunned with how fast Blu-ray will be adopted." The
    > anticipated price of the new players has not been disclosed, although a
    > Blu-ray player is currently being marketed in Japan for about $3,500.
    >
    > From IMDB today.

    That is a recorder model with a Japanese satellite TV tuner built-in.

    When it comes to the US, it should be cheaper, especially by that time
    and especially if it comes out only as a player model, even though the
    Blue Ray spec. includes rewriteable capabilities right now, which DVD
    didn't have right off the bat.

    The other thing is that the label "HD DVD" is reserved by the DVD Forum
    for a competing format from Toshiba and NEC. It will also use blue
    laser but have less capacity than Blue Ray. However, picture quality is
    supposedly comparable to Blue Ray. HD DVD is considered to have a cost
    advantage, both in the players/recorders and in the discs themselves.
    So some thing most Hollywood studios, outside of CTHE, may end up being
    more inclined to support HD DVD.

    Sony's ace card may be that they may use Blue Ray in the PS3, which
    could help expand the installed base of players capable of playing back
    Blue Ray video discs. The same way the PS2 helped expand the installed
    base of players capable of playing back DVD video discs, at least in
    Japan.

    poldy, Apr 12, 2004

  3. poldy wrote:
    > That is a recorder model with a Japanese satellite TV tuner built-in.
    >
    > When it comes to the US, it should be cheaper, especially by that time
    > and especially if it comes out only as a player model, even though the
    > Blue Ray spec. includes rewriteable capabilities right now, which DVD
    > didn't have right off the bat.

    This is different from the recorder in China, this will have
    pre-recorded movies made for it.

    > The other thing is that the label "HD DVD" is reserved by the DVD Forum
    > for a competing format from Toshiba and NEC. It will also use blue
    > laser but have less capacity than Blue Ray. However, picture quality is
    > supposedly comparable to Blue Ray. HD DVD is considered to have a cost
    > advantage, both in the players/recorders and in the discs themselves.
    > So some thing most Hollywood studios, outside of CTHE, may end up being
    > more inclined to support HD DVD.

    Who says that the next optical disc technology for movies has to have
    the DVD name? Did you know DVDs were called MMCDs and Super CDs, for a
    while, in the prototype stage? They could come up with something
    totally different.

    > Sony's ace card may be that they may use Blue Ray in the PS3, which
    > could help expand the installed base of players capable of playing back
    > Blue Ray video discs. The same way the PS2 helped expand the installed
    > base of players capable of playing back DVD video discs, at least in
    > Japan.

    How much longer can Sony maintain dominance in the video game field?
    Before Genesis they said Nintendo was indestructible, before PSX they
    said Nintendo's lead could not be surmounted, but I see Sony making
    similar mistakes to what Nintendo did (i.e., upset developers).

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 12, 2004
  4. Grand Inquisitor <> wrote in

    >> Sony's ace card may be that they may use Blue Ray in the PS3, which
    >> could help expand the installed base of players capable of playing
    >> back Blue Ray video discs. The same way the PS2 helped expand the
    >> installed base of players capable of playing back DVD video discs, at
    >> least in Japan.

    > How much longer can Sony maintain dominance in the video game field?
    > Before Genesis they said Nintendo was indestructible, before PSX they
    > said Nintendo's lead could not be surmounted, but I see Sony making
    > similar mistakes to what Nintendo did (i.e., upset developers).

    What's the old saying? Past performance is not indicitive of future
    returns. I'm not a crystal ball, but I definately don't think Sony
    will have the same market lead in the next generation. They may
    still be #1, but Nintendo and Microsoft are both in a position to make
    them fight harder for every last dime. I agree, Sony is making very
    similar mistakes, and is being just as arrogant as Nintendo once was.
    OTOH, I attribute a lot of their current success to good timing, which
    I don't think will be one of their advantages with the PS3.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, Apr 13, 2004
  5. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    > What's the old saying? Past performance is not indicitive of future
    > returns. I'm not a crystal ball, but I definately don't think Sony
    > will have the same market lead in the next generation. They may
    > still be #1, but Nintendo and Microsoft are both in a position to make
    > them fight harder for every last dime. I agree, Sony is making very
    > similar mistakes, and is being just as arrogant as Nintendo once was.
    > OTOH, I attribute a lot of their current success to good timing, which
    > I don't think will be one of their advantages with the PS3.

    Besides, I think the Sony-style, GTA3, Resident Evil types of games are
    a fad similar to the cigar fad a few years back, or today's coffee fad.
    How long can it last before the fad dies away and the true gamers
    stick with the good stuff? (i.e. Mario, Zelda, PC FPS and sim)

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 13, 2004
  6. Grand Inquisitor

    poldy Guest

    In article <OgEec.310$>,
    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    > > That is a recorder model with a Japanese satellite TV tuner built-in.
    > >
    > > When it comes to the US, it should be cheaper, especially by that time
    > > and especially if it comes out only as a player model, even though the
    > > Blue Ray spec. includes rewriteable capabilities right now, which DVD
    > > didn't have right off the bat.
    > >

    > This is different from the recorder in China, this will have
    > pre-recorded movies made for it.

    Who said anything about China?

    The existing Blue Ray hardware would presumably play any prerecorded
    movies released as Blue Ray discs. Matushita is suppose to release a
    model this summer in Japan.

    poldy, Apr 13, 2004
  7. Grand Inquisitor

    Ronald Cole Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> writes:
    > Besides, I think the Sony-style, GTA3, Resident Evil types of games
    > are a fad similar to the cigar fad a few years back, or today's coffee
    > fad. How long can it last before the fad dies away and the true gamers
    > stick with the good stuff? (i.e. Mario, Zelda, PC FPS and sim)

    Hey, for me, coffee's not a fad. I drink Peet's!

    Ronald Cole <> Phone: (760) 499-9142
    President, CEO Fax: (760) 499-9152

    Ronald Cole, Apr 14, 2004
  8. Ronald Cole wrote:

    > Grand Inquisitor <> writes:
    >
    >>Besides, I think the Sony-style, GTA3, Resident Evil types of games
    >>are a fad similar to the cigar fad a few years back, or today's coffee
    >>fad. How long can it last before the fad dies away and the true gamers
    >>stick with the good stuff? (i.e. Mario, Zelda, PC FPS and sim)

    > Hey, for me, coffee's not a fad. I drink Peet's!

    I'm not saying it's a fad for everybody. There are people who are
    genuinely into coffee, not just poseurs. And there are people who
    genuinely like their videogames. Ask the average GTA3 twenty-something
    PS2/X-Box nut to list some major Miyamoto games, or ask them who Warren
    Spector is, or who Peter Main or Hiroshi Yamauchi are, or how pong
    should be played, or why Mario looks the way he does, or why Doom isn't
    truly 3D, or what anti-aliasing is, or who Guybrush Threepwood is, or
    what flood control dam 3 is, or what Infocom was, or what CD-i was, or
    what Manny Calavera's job was, or what the BMRF was, and you'll get a
    lot of blank stares. But they call themselves "video game nuts" because
    they like to mow down hookers and old ladies.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 14, 2004
  9. poldy wrote:

    > In article <OgEec.310$>,
    > Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:
    >

    >>>That is a recorder model with a Japanese satellite TV tuner built-in.
    >>>
    >>>When it comes to the US, it should be cheaper, especially by that time
    >>>and especially if it comes out only as a player model, even though the
    >>>Blue Ray spec. includes rewriteable capabilities right now, which DVD
    >>>didn't have right off the bat.
    >>>

    >>This is different from the recorder in China, this will have
    >>pre-recorded movies made for it.

    > Who said anything about China?
    >
    > The existing Blue Ray hardware would presumably play any prerecorded
    > movies released as Blue Ray discs. Matushita is suppose to release a
    > model this summer in Japan.

    I said China. I meant Japan. Me sorry.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 14, 2004
  10. Grand Inquisitor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not saying it's a fad for everybody. There are people who are
    > genuinely into coffee, not just poseurs. And there are people who
    > genuinely like their videogames. Ask the average GTA3 twenty-something
    > PS2/X-Box nut to list some major Miyamoto games, or ask them who Warren
    > Spector is, or who Peter Main or Hiroshi Yamauchi are, or how pong
    > should be played, or why Mario looks the way he does, or why Doom isn't
    > truly 3D, or what anti-aliasing is, or who Guybrush Threepwood is, or
    > what flood control dam 3 is, or what Infocom was, or what CD-i was, or
    > what Manny Calavera's job was, or what the BMRF was, and you'll get a
    > lot of blank stares. But they call themselves "video game nuts" because
    > they like to mow down hookers and old ladies.

    The quick test is to mention Atari. If they respond with, "Neverwinter
    Nights", you know they think "old school" is where they attended first
    grade. ;)

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Apr 14, 2004