    Allan Guest

    http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2228.phtml

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Allan <> wrote:

    >http://www.dvd-recordable.org/Article2228.phtml

    "Spokesmen from Toshiba also underlined the need to offer video content
    stored on HD DVD media that will not feature any regional restrictions, as
    it happens with current DVDs. Although final decisions about this matter
    have not yet been announced, it is possible that the same HD DVD discs will
    be reproduced by any HD DVD player worldwide."

    Somebody somewhere is lying. Up til now the supposed reason for
    region-limited DVDs is rights issues. Separate contracts are written for
    different regions or it's cheaper to get, say, Region 4 rights than
    worldwide righs. Exactly how is all that going to just go away because the
    physical carrier is changed?

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Allan

    kalev- Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > Allan <> wrote:
    >

    > Somebody somewhere is lying. Up til now the supposed reason for
    > region-limited DVDs is rights issues. Separate contracts are written for
    > different regions or it's cheaper to get, say, Region 4 rights than
    > worldwide righs. Exactly how is all that going to just go away because the
    > physical carrier is changed?

    Because other industries do the same thing (= contracts) without needing
    crippling their goods?

    kalev-, Oct 8, 2005
  4. kalev- <> wrote:

    >>Exactly how is all that going to just go away because the
    >> physical carrier is changed?

    >Because other industries do the same thing (= contracts) without needing
    >crippling their goods?

    That would be a good argument back in the days before the current DVD system
    hit the market. But they've tasted our blood now... All the details I've
    heard about the hi-def DVD formats involve more crippling, not less.

    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 9, 2005