HD DVD Format War!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by goldfgn@telus.net, May 22, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Looks like because of the format war, we may have HD DVD sooner than
    later.

    http://www.widescreenreview.com/attractions/iiv.html

    BD & HD DVD Camps Dug In For War

    By Paul Sweeting

    With a carefully orchestrated series of presentations and press
    interviews at the Digital Hollywood Conference in Los Angeles in
    March, the members of the Blu-ray Disc Founders Group moved the DVD
    world a major step closer to a full-blown high-definition format war.

    Speaking with reporters, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment President
    Benjamin Feingold confirmed that the Sony-owned studio would begin
    issuing all new releases on Blu-ray Disc (BD) simultaneous with (or
    “day-and-date” in industry parlance) their release on standard DVD as
    soon as Blu-ray hardware is available in the U.S., which Feingold
    pegged at late-2005 or early-2006. In addition, Columbia will release
    three or four catalog titles per month in the high-definition format,
    beginning, no doubt, with the most popular titles from its library. In
    a matter-of-fact aside, Feingold added that he expects that other
    Hollywood studios will follow Columbia’s lead in relatively short
    order. “We believe (all studios) will join within 18 months of
    launch,” he told reporters.

    As a division of Sony, one of the principal architects of the Blu-ray
    Disc, Columbia’s enthusiasm for the format comes as no great surprise.
    But Feingold’s aggressive time table and broad title commitment puts
    Columbia on a high-definition trajectory that far outstrips that of
    any other studio in Hollywood, and represents Sony’s boldest statement
    to date of its intention to establish Blu-ray as the de facto industry
    standard for high-definition DVD.

    As many readers of Widescreen Review are aware, however, Blu-ray Disc
    is not the only format contending for that honor. A competing
    technology, developed by Toshiba and NEC and dubbed HD DVD, is also
    bidding to become the next-generation DVD format. And, like Columbia’s
    enthusiasm for Blu-ray, there are powerful forces in Hollywood, Japan,
    and the high-tech community lined up behind HD DVD, if not for its own
    sake then at least as a hedge against the hegemony of BD.

    By throwing down the gauntlet, Sony and Columbia have, if anything,
    lit a fire under the HD DVD camp to get its format ready for market as
    soon as possible. Barring a last-minute retreat from the brinkmanship
    now characterizing both camps’ approach to the contest, it will soon
    become impossible to head off the launch of multiple, incompatible
    high-def DVD formats.

    , May 22, 2004

  2. GMAN Guest

    In article <>, wrote:
    >Looks like because of the format war, we may have HD DVD sooner than
    >later.

    >http://www.widescreenreview.com/attractions/iiv.html
    >
    >BD & HD DVD Camps Dug In For War
    >
    >By Paul Sweeting
    >

    >With a carefully orchestrated series of presentations and press
    >interviews at the Digital Hollywood Conference in Los Angeles in
    >March, the members of the Blu-ray Disc Founders Group moved the DVD
    >world a major step closer to a full-blown high-definition format war.
    >
    >Speaking with reporters, Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment President
    >Benjamin Feingold confirmed that the Sony-owned studio would begin
    >issuing all new releases on Blu-ray Disc (BD) simultaneous with (or
    >“day-and-date” in industry parlance) their release on standard DVD as
    >soon as Blu-ray hardware is available in the U.S., which Feingold
    >pegged at late-2005 or early-2006. In addition, Columbia will release
    >three or four catalog titles per month in the high-definition format,
    >beginning, no doubt, with the most popular titles from its library. In
    >a matter-of-fact aside, Feingold added that he expects that other
    >Hollywood studios will follow Columbia’s lead in relatively short
    >order. “We believe (all studios) will join within 18 months of
    >launch,” he told reporters.
    >
    >As a division of Sony, one of the principal architects of the Blu-ray
    >Disc, Columbia’s enthusiasm for the format comes as no great surprise.
    >But Feingold’s aggressive time table and broad title commitment puts
    >Columbia on a high-definition trajectory that far outstrips that of
    >any other studio in Hollywood, and represents Sony’s boldest statement
    >to date of its intention to establish Blu-ray as the de facto industry
    >standard for high-definition DVD.
    >
    >As many readers of Widescreen Review are aware, however, Blu-ray Disc
    >is not the only format contending for that honor. A competing
    >technology, developed by Toshiba and NEC and dubbed HD DVD, is also
    >bidding to become the next-generation DVD format. And, like Columbia’s
    >enthusiasm for Blu-ray, there are powerful forces in Hollywood, Japan,
    >and the high-tech community lined up behind HD DVD, if not for its own
    >sake then at least as a hedge against the hegemony of BD.
    >
    >By throwing down the gauntlet, Sony and Columbia have, if anything,
    >lit a fire under the HD DVD camp to get its format ready for market as
    >soon as possible. Barring a last-minute retreat from the brinkmanship
    >now characterizing both camps’ approach to the contest, it will soon
    >become impossible to head off the launch of multiple, incompatible
    >high-def DVD formats.

    The prerecorded DVD format is a little different than the DVD-R/+R issues we
    have seen. I expect the one backed by the DVD Forum to succeed.

    http://www.dvdforum.org/forum.shtml

    GMAN, May 24, 2004