    format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    say..."

    Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die
    Dave U.Random, Feb 15, 2008

  2. Dave U.Random

    Rowdy J Guest

    "Dave U.Random" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
    > format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    > say..."
    >
    > Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

    What took so long? It's been many weeks coming.
    Rowdy J, Feb 15, 2008

  3. Dave U.Random

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Dave U.Random <> wrote:
    >"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
    >format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    >say..."
    >
    >Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

    Walmart just pulled the plug.
    GMAN, Feb 15, 2008
  4. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    Bring on the sales! We've already got plenty of Buy 1 Get 1 free
    deals, but I think we can do better.

    Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
    lets get those blown out at discount prices.

    = numsix
    = http://www.villagebbs.com
    , Feb 15, 2008
  5. Dave U.Random

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    In alt.games.video.xbox wrote:
    > Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
    > lets get those blown out at discount prices.

    Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
    Doug Jacobs, Feb 15, 2008
  6. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Feb 15, 11:41 am, Dave U.Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
    inter.net> wrote:
    > "Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
    > format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    > say..."
    >
    > Hollywood Reporter:http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

    So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
    Sony will have it all to itself.

    WooHoo!
    , Feb 15, 2008
  7. Dave U.Random

    Steven Guest

    I'll be able to play them for years to come, both on my PC's and the players
    have currently will do HDDVD and SD DVD.

    I can play Bluray too.

    but I will snap up "cheap" HDDVD's of title I would be in a HDM format..

    Some of these are only HDDVD at the moment

    so I'm looking all over for "cheap" HDHDVD's -- would love to find the
    5.99-9.99 bin sales...

    Right now due to the cost of the discs and the cost and issues of the
    standalone players, I would still rent/buy SD DVD for some of the bluray
    only titles.

    prices on these need to drop on bluray

    Steven, Feb 15, 2008
  8. Dave U.Random

    Guest

    On Feb 15, 3:12 pm, Doug Jacobs <> wrote:
    > In alt.games.video.xbox wrote:
    > > Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
    > > lets get those blown out at discount prices.

    > Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

    It's not like HD DVDs and players are going to stop working the day
    the they're removed from the shelves.

    They'll last the lifetime of most owners.
    , Feb 15, 2008
  9. wrote:
    > On Feb 15, 11:41 am, Dave U.Random <anonym...@anonymitaet-im-
    > inter.net> wrote:
    >
    >>"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
    >>format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    >>say..."
    >>
    >>Hollywood Reporter:http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

    > So instead of sharing less than 1% of the total DVD market with HD,
    > Sony will have it all to itself.
    >
    > WooHoo!

    Yeah, that evil monopoly....except for Sharp, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and
    a half dozen disk developers with the patents.

    Derek Janssen (but APART from them...)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 16, 2008
  10. Doug Jacobs wrote:

    > In alt.games.video.xbox wrote:
    >
    >>Was in a Moviestop today, still had hundreds of HD-DVDs in stock.. so
    >>lets get those blown out at discount prices.

    > Why the urge to buy a dead format - even if it is cheap?

    Well, you'll still get those cool Free Movies! ^_^

    Um...maybe:
    ----
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com

    And here's something that's perhaps even more telling in terms of what
    Toshiba is planning: It seems that the company may have started denying
    fulfillment of their "five free disc" offers. Bits reader Greg M., who
    has purchased players on both high-def formats, sent us this e-mail this
    afternoon:

    "I received a letter back from the Toshiba fulfillment house denying my
    five free discs. They stated that my invoice was not within the time
    period of the offer. My invoice from Amazon.com was dated Dec 9th, 2007,
    clearly within the Oct 1, 2007 to Feb 28, 2008 range they gave on their
    offer flyer. What is more insidious is the invoice I sent them and they
    sent back to me was marked up with a ballpoint pen to cross out the
    date. When I called them at 800-405-7520 to try to get some
    understanding of why my five free disc offer was rejected... I was
    informed that I would have to resubmit it. I told them to go &*%$ *%$ I
    do not have time for their petty games."
    ----

    (Okay, *now* it's starting to get believable...

    And given that I'm one of those old DiVX-Wars vets who has STILL refused
    to buy anything in a Circuit City since 1999, you really gotta ask where
    Toshiba's going to be two or three years down the road--
    They made sure their name was on this as an All or Nothing battle, and
    we know they're not going to get All.)

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 16, 2008
  11. Dave U.Random

    Blig Merk Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Yeah, that evil monopoly....except for Sharp, Samsung, LG, Panasonic and
    > a half dozen disk developers with the patents.

    Actually, it was Sony that invented the first Blu-ray so almost all
    the basic patents are Sony's. Everybody else is licensing the patents
    in order to build their brand blue lasers and players. Sony also owns
    the majority of the patents for AVCHD, the primary encoding for Blu-
    ray and Sony also owns a lot of the patents for VC-1, so everybody
    that is using those are paying license fees to Sony also. They also
    get royalties for every movie on the format and using the encoding.
    Winning Blu-ray is a huge cash cow for Sony, for many years to come.
    Blig Merk, Feb 16, 2008
  12. Dave U.Random

    Blig Merk Guest

    Steven wrote:
    > Some of these are only HDDVD at the moment

    Warner has already said they will re-release what were HD-DVD
    exclusives as Blu-ray and the rest of the studios have said pretty
    much the same thing. Since it hasn't been that long, there is no huge
    backlog. And generally the re-releases come at discount prices, so
    there is not much price savings to consider and the re-releases tend
    to have better encoding, better audio and more extras.
    Blig Merk, Feb 16, 2008
  13. Dave U.Random

    Steven Guest

    There is however no reason to repurchase what I have or what I buy in the
    future in HDDVD as I will be able to plays these for a long time

    If I can pick "deals" on titles I would buy in HDM in the HDDVD format -- I
    will continue to do that.. I'm just keeping my eyes open for deals

    I have over a 1000 SD DVD's -- I clearly will not be repurchasing all of
    these in HDM of any kind.

    HDM purchases are targeted. I still buy several titles in SD DVD..

    I have a few title in SD DVD, Bluray, and HDDVD as I was comparing the
    differences in my setup..

    I can see little or no difference between bluray and HDDVD in the
    picture............

    price is the thing.. I rarely buy the latest releases for the "collection"
    and wait for prices to fall, occasional grab a used disc or collection.

    I do use netflix as well to preview things, play recent releases while
    waiting for prices to fall..

    So we will see what prices may come....

    Steven, Feb 16, 2008
  14. On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 20:22:35 -0800 (PST), Blig Merk <>
    wrote:

    >Steven wrote:
    >> Some of these are only HDDVD at the moment

    >Warner has already said they will re-release what were HD-DVD
    >exclusives as Blu-ray and the rest of the studios have said pretty
    >much the same thing. Since it hasn't been that long, there is no huge
    >backlog. And generally the re-releases come at discount prices, so
    >there is not much price savings to consider and the re-releases tend
    >to have better encoding, better audio and more extras.

    Bullshit. I have yet to see a single re-release of anything over the
    years, on any format that was "discounted" as some "Here, hope this
    helps" fix for a mistake. They are all released as a new title at
    standard current retail prices.

    Can you give a cite for even a single such re-release?
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Feb 16, 2008
  15. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:41:07 -0500, "Steven" <> wrote:

    >There is however no reason to..

    ever read any posts made by top posting, TOFU Usenet retards, such as
    yourself.
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 16, 2008
  16. In article <>,
    Dave U.Random <> wrote:
    >"Toshiba is widely expected to pull the plug on its HD DVD
    >format sometime in the coming weeks, reliable industry sources
    >say..."
    >
    >Hollywood Reporter: http://easyurl.net/Die_Die_Die

    I guess they are trying to get rid of the stock as they constantly
    have ads for them on USA network.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com
    Bill Vermillion, Feb 17, 2008
  17. Dave U.Random

    MCP Guest

    "Blig Merk" <> wrote in message
    > Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Actually, it was Sony that invented the first Blu-ray so almost all
    > the basic patents are Sony's. Everybody else is licensing the patents
    > in order to build their brand blue lasers and players. Sony also owns
    > the majority of the patents for AVCHD, the primary encoding for Blu-
    > ray and Sony also owns a lot of the patents for VC-1, so everybody
    > that is using those are paying license fees to Sony also. They also
    > get royalties for every movie on the format and using the encoding.
    > Winning Blu-ray is a huge cash cow for Sony, for many years to come.

    VC-1 is Microsoft fool, get your facts right for once. VC-1 may be the best
    codec to date.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

    Sony really is only a minor player in Blu Ray and share the tech with many
    other companies. They have the drives in the PS3 so winning wa a big deal
    for them at any cost.
    Again get your shit right..for once or shut the **** up fool.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

    Toshiba never had a chance with all that cas$h and influance with Blu Ray.
    Toshiba is a totally massive though and makes parts for nuclear reactors
    even but they did not want to bet the farm on HD-DVD. Consumer electronic is
    only 35% of the company.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toshiba

    Pionner has more input in Blu Ray than Sony. -AVS Forum.
    MCP, Feb 17, 2008
  18. Dave U.Random

    T.B. Guest

    "MCP" aka "shaw.ca douchebag" whined:

    > Toshiba never had a chance with all that cas$h and influance with Blu Ray.
    > Toshiba is a totally massive though and makes parts for nuclear reactors
    > even but they did not want to bet the farm on HD-DVD. Consumer electronic
    > is only 35% of the company.

    Yeah, Toshiba never paid off any studios to go format exclusive, LOL!

    Face it Microsoft fanboy, you backed the wrong horse. Maybe if you change
    your screen name again, things will get better. HA!

    T.B.
    T.B., Feb 17, 2008
  19. On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:41:07 -0500, "Steven" <> wrote:

    >There is however no reason to repurchase what I have or what I buy in the
    >future in HDDVD as I will be able to plays these for a long time
    >
    >If I can pick "deals" on titles I would buy in HDM in the HDDVD format -- I
    >will continue to do that.. I'm just keeping my eyes open for deals
    >
    >I have over a 1000 SD DVD's -- I clearly will not be repurchasing all of
    >these in HDM of any kind.

    Because you will still be able to play them in your HD-DVD or Bluray
    player.

    What happens when your HD-DVD player (eventually) dies?

    Maybe we should ask laserdisc owners what they have done with their
    collections
    Jason Clinton, Feb 17, 2008
  20. Jason Clinton wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:41:07 -0500, "Steven" <> wrote:
    >

    >>There is however no reason to repurchase what I have or what I buy in the
    >>future in HDDVD as I will be able to plays these for a long time
    >>
    >>If I can pick "deals" on titles I would buy in HDM in the HDDVD format -- I
    >>will continue to do that.. I'm just keeping my eyes open for deals
    >>
    >>I have over a 1000 SD DVD's -- I clearly will not be repurchasing all of
    >>these in HDM of any kind.

    > Because you will still be able to play them in your HD-DVD or Bluray
    > player.
    >
    > What happens when your HD-DVD player (eventually) dies?

    And if you're watching them on X-Box 360, that's one iron-clad "WHEN".

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Feb 17, 2008