HD-DVD could last a year or more

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by caliman.john@gmail.com, Jan 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    According to Max Everett, owner of several electronics stores in
    Kansas and Oklahoma, many people will be "completely unaffected" by
    Warner Brothers, at least for awhile.

    "Many of the locals don't have Internet or world wide web. They come
    to actual stores to do their shopping, including ours as well as large
    chains, and they see what's available on store shelves and buy
    products based on what's available. Most of these people aren't going
    to be affected by this Warner Brothers decision, because most of them
    won't know, for at least four or five months, if not longer, because
    even after that, there could be Warner hd dvds lingering on store
    shelves for several months after that."

    Mr. Everett goes on to say "The only way we could see an immediate
    impact is if larger retail chains like Wal-Mart, BestBuy, Target, and
    others ditch the format completely sometime soon. I will re-iterate my
    statements. Although there are many states which rely heavily on
    Internet, your average Joe doesn't shop on-line. Most people like to
    see the products they buy, and they want their products right then and
    there. People are also generally afraid of credit card fraud and
    identity theft on-line. The consensus is that there are too many risks
    associated with buying on-line."

    When asked what percentage of sales were Hi-Def and which of those
    percents were HD-DVD and which were Blu-Ray, Mr. Everett's said "Each
    of our stores have a different market, but our hi-def format sales
    average between 7% and 10% of all video sales. Our HDTV sales are 95%,
    Digital SDTV and clearance Analog SDTV sales make up the other 5%. I
    don't know the specifics of hd dvd vs blu-ray sales but believe it's
    about 65% in blu-ray's favor, if only because of playstation three
    sales. The people that aren't interested in games usually go toward
    what's cheaper, and hd dvd systems are more cost effective."

    Mr. Everett was then asked why his Blu-Ray VS HD-DVD ratio was so much
    different than on-line numbers, and this is what he had to say "I
    don't know. I can only say that the web is huge, and in a huge
    network, and in such a large world, it's easy to mis-place numbers.
    Numbers can change dramatically from 7am to 5pm. In our stores, we
    don't have those problems. We have a paper trail for everything, to
    show as proof. Hell, it's the law. If we get audited, we have to have
    that information. It's a system that's worked for thousands of years."

    Asked about his opinion on the format war, this is what Max Everett
    had to say "If you look at this so-called format war on the world wide
    web, you'd notice that so many people take it too seriously. There are
    literally people getting in to online shouting matches, cursing each
    other out, and threatening to kill one another. It's a bunch of
    propaganda and drama. Locally, however, things are much more calm.
    People come in to our stores, ask questions, and we try our best to
    answer any of their questions and let the customers decide what format
    they want. People on the web argue and fuss about the war, but we
    talk, drink some ice tea, and have a laugh about it all."

    He goes on to say "I personally don't have a preference for either
    format. We make more money off of HDTVs than we make on HD movies. It
    could literally be another four or five years before HD movies really
    make a difference. They're not really cost effective, especially
    considering you can get a DVR/PVR system and lots of hi-def content on
    several of the satellite services. Starz, HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Pay
    Per Via, and TMC premium movie channels are all available in HD, many
    locals are available in HD, several niche programming channels are
    available in HD, and even my favorite HD channel: Discovery HD. They
    have an HD channel for every one, not to mention that HBO is preparing
    to change over all of their broadcasts to HD-only."

    Asked about the impact of die-hard theater enthusiasts and their
    influence in the hi-def market, Mr. Everett replies "Ha ha.. It's
    funny, actually. Many call themselves experts or theater buffs. We can
    usually pick them out before they even walk through the door. They all
    have a look and unique attitude. That's about all I can say about
    them. I can honestly say that the theater buff market itself is a very
    slim market. We don't stock hundreds of Nakamichi and Harman/Kardon
    products, because those items generally aren't what our customers are
    looking for. In essence, the theater buff market is a niche market in
    itself. Other than televisions, we sell less than 150 home theater
    products over the $700 price each year, and that's in all of our
    stores combined."

    From what we've gathered, there will be little or no changes for blu-
    ray or HD-DVD for several months. This shouldn't be considered a
    sweeping or fast victory for blu-ray either. In one year's time,
    several dramatic changes can occur in the format war, to sway one or
    more studios from one format to the next.
    , Jan 6, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Jan 6, 10:42 am, wrote:

    > From what we've gathered, there will be little or no changes for blu-
    > ray or HD-DVD for several months. This shouldn't be considered a
    > sweeping or fast victory for blu-ray either. In one year's time,
    > several dramatic changes can occur in the format war, to sway one or
    > more studios from one format to the next.

    Look up "tipping point".

    Cheers,
    Alan
    , Jan 6, 2008

  3. In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > On Jan 6, 10:42 am, wrote:
    >
    > > From what we've gathered, there will be little or no changes for blu-
    > > ray or HD-DVD for several months. This shouldn't be considered a
    > > sweeping or fast victory for blu-ray either. In one year's time,
    > > several dramatic changes can occur in the format war, to sway one or
    > > more studios from one format to the next.

    > Look up "tipping point".
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    Yep, much as I like HDDVD and had hoped for the phony war to go on for a
    bit longer, this is the tipping point.

    I doubt that I will buy much in the way of HDDVD movies, and will only
    buy BluRay for an average of $15 or less. That last may be harder to do
    when the final shakeouts are over, I expect the BOGO and other great
    deals to be much less and much less often.
    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008
  4. Winfield Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 6, 10:42 am, wrote:
    >
    >> From what we've gathered, there will be little or no changes for blu-
    >> ray or HD-DVD for several months. This shouldn't be considered a
    >> sweeping or fast victory for blu-ray either. In one year's time,
    >> several dramatic changes can occur in the format war, to sway one or
    >> more studios from one format to the next.

    > Look up "tipping point".
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan

    Will HD-DVD *format* survive Alan's "tipping point"?

    I think it can - as a spoiler. Not so much as an official commercial
    movie format, but maybe as the blank-disc of choice for data storage /
    movie-ripping, DVR next-gen hardware (xXx - the next step).

    Maybe this market is where Toshiba will try to stay in the HD game.
    Computer HD burners could be the next battleground. Cheap/affordable HD
    blank media could be a nice spoiler for the BD juggernaut.

    The fat lady isn't singing quite yet, just warming up. :)

    winf
    Winfield, Jan 6, 2008
  5. Steven Guest

    I'm hoping for more BOGO and deals...... HDDVD or BLURAY.. if it's titles
    I'm interested in..

    I'm price sensitive too.. So I do not just buy the movie just released
    unless it is something I really really was waiting for like I did for the
    Harry Potter movies -- I ordered those at release.

    Many I will wait some time for a deal....................................

    Steven, Jan 6, 2008