HD DVD/Blu-ray Lack of Convenience Features

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kuskokwim, Oct 8, 2007.

  1. Kuskokwim

    Kuskokwim Guest

    I want to buy a high definition DVD player.

    I often do not watch an entire DVD in one sitting, so there is one feature
    I cannot do without - the ability to stop a DVD, turn off the player, turn
    on the player at a later time and resume watching the DVD where I left off.

    Even the cheapest standard definition players allow this.

    The ability to bookmark a position on the DVD is a clumsy, alternate way to
    do this, but looking at the features of all of the players on
    crutchfield.com, the only one that seems to have it is the LG combination
    HD DVD/Blu-ray player.

    No wonder it is taking so long for high definition DVD to become
    mainstream.
     
    Kuskokwim, Oct 8, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Kuskokwim

    T.B. Guest

    "Kuskokwim" wrote:

    >I want to buy a high definition DVD player.
    >
    > I often do not watch an entire DVD in one sitting, so there is one feature
    > I cannot do without - the ability to stop a DVD, turn off the player, turn
    > on the player at a later time and resume watching the DVD where I left
    > off.
    >
    > Even the cheapest standard definition players allow this.
    >
    > The ability to bookmark a position on the DVD is a clumsy, alternate way
    > to
    > do this, but looking at the features of all of the players on
    > crutchfield.com, the only one that seems to have it is the LG combination
    > HD DVD/Blu-ray player.
    >
    > No wonder it is taking so long for high definition DVD to become
    > mainstream.


    If I was you, I'd really hold off on buying a HiDef dvd stand-alone player,
    especially Blu-ray at least until the middle of November when the newest
    players come out. There's supposed to be a significant upgrade in the next
    generation of Blu-ray players coming out to support more elaborate disc
    content. Plus, seeing as how both format's players continue to be somewhat
    buggy depending on disc titles and firmware format upgrades, thus rendering
    the players almost obsolete withing a year or two's timeframe, it's almost a
    better bet to just by the game console, especially the PS3 in Blu-Ray's case
    were at least you'll have a decent resale value, plus Sony seems to be
    fairly proactive in offering firmware updates when needed for the PS3.

    And the LG dual format player is already noted for not playing some discs'
    bonus content/features.

    T.B.
     
    T.B., Oct 8, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <470a953b$0$20606$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Kuskokwim" wrote:
    >
    > >I want to buy a high definition DVD player.
    > >
    > > I often do not watch an entire DVD in one sitting, so there is one feature
    > > I cannot do without - the ability to stop a DVD, turn off the player, turn
    > > on the player at a later time and resume watching the DVD where I left
    > > off.
    > >
    > > Even the cheapest standard definition players allow this.
    > >
    > > The ability to bookmark a position on the DVD is a clumsy, alternate way
    > > to
    > > do this, but looking at the features of all of the players on
    > > crutchfield.com, the only one that seems to have it is the LG combination
    > > HD DVD/Blu-ray player.
    > >
    > > No wonder it is taking so long for high definition DVD to become
    > > mainstream.

    >
    > If I was you, I'd really hold off on buying a HiDef dvd stand-alone player,
    > especially Blu-ray at least until the middle of November when the newest
    > players come out. There's supposed to be a significant upgrade in the next
    > generation of Blu-ray players coming out to support more elaborate disc
    > content. Plus, seeing as how both format's players continue to be somewhat
    > buggy depending on disc titles and firmware format upgrades, thus rendering
    > the players almost obsolete withing a year or two's timeframe, it's almost a
    > better bet to just by the game console, especially the PS3 in Blu-Ray's case
    > were at least you'll have a decent resale value, plus Sony seems to be
    > fairly proactive in offering firmware updates when needed for the PS3.
    >
    > And the LG dual format player is already noted for not playing some discs'
    > bonus content/features.
    >
    > T.B.


    It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.
     
    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 9, 2007
    #3
  4. Kuskokwim

    JazzGuyy Guest

    On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:50:54 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
    >It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    >Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    >is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.


    The new dual-format player from LG, the 200, will be Profile 2.0 and
    the new dual-format Samsung will be at least Profile 1.1.
     
    JazzGuyy, Oct 9, 2007
    #4
  5. Kuskokwim

    Terence Guest

    Not entirely suire with BR but with HD-DVD , the 'resume' function is
    controlled by the disc -not the player- so it doesn't really matter
    how long you wait in this case. If you run into an HD-DVD disc where
    that particular function isn't included, you can blame the movie label
    that released it.
     
    Terence, Oct 9, 2007
    #5
  6. Kuskokwim

    T.B. Guest

    "JazzGuyy" wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:50:54 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
    >>It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    >>Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    >>is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.

    >
    > The new dual-format player from LG, the 200, will be Profile 2.0 and
    > the new dual-format Samsung will be at least Profile 1.1.


    When's the LG200 supposed to street?

    T.B.
     
    T.B., Oct 9, 2007
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    JazzGuyy <JazzGuyy@nospam> wrote:

    > On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:50:54 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
    > >It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    > >Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    > >is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.

    >
    > The new dual-format player from LG, the 200, will be Profile 2.0 and
    > the new dual-format Samsung will be at least Profile 1.1.


    Neither of which appear to be ready to ship before the Christmas
    shopping season.
     
    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 9, 2007
    #7
  8. Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > JazzGuyy <JazzGuyy@nospam> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:50:54 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
    >>
    >>>It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    >>>Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    >>>is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.

    >>
    >>The new dual-format player from LG, the 200, will be Profile 2.0 and
    >>the new dual-format Samsung will be at least Profile 1.1.

    >
    >
    > Neither of which appear to be ready to ship before the Christmas
    > shopping season.


    And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    HD-bridging players or format duality.

    Derek Janssen
     
    Derek Janssen, Oct 9, 2007
    #8
  9. On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:18:31 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> JazzGuyy <JazzGuyy@nospam> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:50:54 -0500, Lloyd Parsons
    >>>
    >>>>It appears that all the announced and expected to be ready to sell Blu
    >>>>Ray players for this calendar year will NOT be the next profile, which
    >>>>is a requirement for all this interactivity that is talked about.
    >>>
    >>>The new dual-format player from LG, the 200, will be Profile 2.0 and
    >>>the new dual-format Samsung will be at least Profile 1.1.

    >>
    >>
    >> Neither of which appear to be ready to ship before the Christmas
    >> shopping season.

    >
    >And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    >HD-bridging players or format duality.
    >
    >Derek Janssen
    >



    The world should boycott them on the whole, until they lop at least $400
    off that ridiculous price!
     
    ChairmanOfTheBored, Oct 9, 2007
    #9
  10. Kuskokwim

    Mark Jones Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    > HD-bridging players or format duality.


    I wish that the movie studios and manufacturers would stop this
    nonsense with having two formats. I have pretty much stopped
    buying most DVDs because I would like to buy HD movies, but
    I do not want to have to buy two players. I don't want just
    one format either because of the fact that there are some
    fairly good movies that are only available in one format
    or the other, but not both. There is also the fact that I no longer
    see anything but Blu-Ray in my local Blockbuster.

    I had been buying over $1000 in DVDs a year, but now I am
    down to maybe $200 while I wait for an end to the nonsense.
    I do not want to continue adding a lot of disks to my collection
    that are in SD format instead of HD. My guess is that the
    result of this will be that neither format is going to do all that
    well. We may have to wait for whatever comes next and hope
    that the same nonsense doesn't get repeated.
     
    Mark Jones, Oct 10, 2007
    #10
  11. Mark Jones wrote:
    >
    >>And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    >>HD-bridging players or format duality

    >
    > I wish that the movie studios and manufacturers would stop this
    > nonsense with having two formats. I have pretty much stopped
    > buying most DVDs because I would like to buy HD movies, but
    > I do not want to have to buy two players. I don't want just
    > one format either because of the fact that there are some
    > fairly good movies that are only available in one format
    > or the other, but not both. There is also the fact that I no longer
    > see anything but Blu-Ray in my local Blockbuster.


    Although, that's not "Waning interest in HD = HiDef", that's "Waning
    interest in HD = HD-DVD":

    The marketplace has now become so accustomed to seeing Blu as the One
    Format, it's already getting hard to sell people on the idea that HD-DVD
    will still have the amount of shelf sales by the time the working
    players will be released, and even harder to get people to wager $1100
    per player on it...
    The dual-player industry is now being seen as "The perfect device to
    keep woolly mammoths out of your backyard!"

    Derek Janssen
     
    Derek Janssen, Oct 10, 2007
    #11
  12. Kuskokwim

    JazzGuyy Guest

    On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 17:18:31 GMT, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:


    >And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    >HD-bridging players or format duality.
    >
    >Derek Janssen
    >


    The Samsung is already being advertised by non-discounters at $799 so
    it's not 4 figures.
     
    JazzGuyy, Oct 10, 2007
    #12
  13. In article <3MYOi.3607$ai2.3507@trndny05>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Mark Jones wrote:
    > >
    > >>And will both be four-figure priced well out of the waning interest in
    > >>HD-bridging players or format duality

    > >
    > > I wish that the movie studios and manufacturers would stop this
    > > nonsense with having two formats. I have pretty much stopped
    > > buying most DVDs because I would like to buy HD movies, but
    > > I do not want to have to buy two players. I don't want just
    > > one format either because of the fact that there are some
    > > fairly good movies that are only available in one format
    > > or the other, but not both. There is also the fact that I no longer
    > > see anything but Blu-Ray in my local Blockbuster.

    >
    > Although, that's not "Waning interest in HD = HiDef", that's "Waning
    > interest in HD = HD-DVD":
    >
    > The marketplace has now become so accustomed to seeing Blu as the One
    > Format, it's already getting hard to sell people on the idea that HD-DVD
    > will still have the amount of shelf sales by the time the working
    > players will be released, and even harder to get people to wager $1100
    > per player on it...
    > The dual-player industry is now being seen as "The perfect device to
    > keep woolly mammoths out of your backyard!"
    >
    > Derek Janssen
    >


    Good fanboism shown here! <G>

    When Paramount shifted to HDDVD only, the phony war escalated. HDDVD
    sales are up, and considering that BluRay has many more players out
    there, is really doing a bang up job.

    I already own and like both, but the reality is that they are both
    literally the same in picture and audio quality WHEN the studios decide
    to really use what is available to them.

    It will be interesting when the consumer walks into the box store this
    Christmas and take a look at the offerings. On one side with be BluRay
    at about $500 MSRP, on the other HDDVD at about $249 for entry level
    players.

    Unfortunately for the average consumer, he won't know that the models of
    Blu Ray players offered are literally the same boxes that were offered a
    year ago, only meeting the original profile. The ad showing the
    interactivity and such for Blu Ray won't tell them that the box they are
    looking at won't do it.

    I hope, but don't expect, to see sales of dual-format players spike.
    Unfortunately the entry price point for those is much higher than any
    impulse buyer would spend.
     
    Lloyd Parsons, Oct 10, 2007
    #13
  14. Kuskokwim

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    > I already own and like both, but the reality is that they are both
    > literally the same in picture and audio quality WHEN the studios decide
    > to really use what is available to them.


    This is why the format war is so stupid. There's no real difference
    between the two, other than some temporary differences in storage
    capacity. But if you're just talking about movies, this doesn't matter
    either. Both are plenty big for a movie and special features, so...why
    should I choose A vs. B? And whose stupid idea was it to force customers
    to have to choose which movies they want to watch with a $1000 player?
    Until one format goes away entirely, all players on the market are BROKEN
    because they can't play both formats. I shouldn't have to choose between,
    say, The Matrix or Pirates Of The Carribean.

    > It will be interesting when the consumer walks into the box store this
    > Christmas and take a look at the offerings. On one side with be BluRay
    > at about $500 MSRP, on the other HDDVD at about $249 for entry level
    > players.


    > Unfortunately for the average consumer, he won't know that the models of
    > Blu Ray players offered are literally the same boxes that were offered a
    > year ago, only meeting the original profile. The ad showing the
    > interactivity and such for Blu Ray won't tell them that the box they are
    > looking at won't do it.


    > I hope, but don't expect, to see sales of dual-format players spike.
    > Unfortunately the entry price point for those is much higher than any
    > impulse buyer would spend.


    --
    It's not broken. It's...advanced.
     
    Doug Jacobs, Oct 10, 2007
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Allan
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    613
    Allan
    Mar 16, 2005
  2. Allan
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    764
    Brent Geery
    Jul 13, 2005
  3. Allan
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    1,216
    Bill Vermillion
    Sep 11, 2005
  4. Silverstrand
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    708
    Silverstrand
    Sep 25, 2006
  5. Blig Merk
    Replies:
    66
    Views:
    1,895
    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    Apr 27, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page