HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physical threats

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by AirRaid, Nov 8, 2007.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. AirRaid

    Tantalust Guest

    "AirRaid" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/07/format-war-gets-more-warlike/
    >
    > geeez.

    Yikes . . .

    I guess I'm not all *that* surprised, the place is crawling with so many
    incredible jerks these days. :-/

    What a wonderful forum it was years ago.

    --
    "There's nothing on it worthwhile, and we're not going to watch it in this
    household, and I don't want it in your intellectual diet."

    Tantalust, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Tantalust wrote:

    > "AirRaid" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/07/format-war-gets-more-warlike/
    >>
    >>geeez.

    > Yikes . . .
    >
    > I guess I'm not all *that* surprised, the place is crawling with so many
    > incredible jerks these days. :-/
    >
    > What a wonderful forum it was years ago.

    Over on the Blu-ray.com forums (like we're neutral either), AVS Forums
    had become a symbolic punchline/buzzword for the schoolyard tactics and
    general hinder-talking that was being demonstrated by the more rabid
    HDDVD supporters as public support dwindled--

    Microsoft's own consumer media head Amir Majidimehr was a protected
    "celebrity" on the HD forum and had been narcissistically self-promoting
    King Bully on the playground--and with some of the most howling PR
    propaganda/misinformation this side of Ken Graffeo--before he also had
    to make an unscheduled exit from the Forums.
    The kids on the BR forums would say "Did you see what they said this
    week?--Let's go over there and get 'em!", and the regulars would calm
    them down with "Why bother, they'll just make more..."

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Nov 8, 2007
  4. In article <ElLYi.4942$sN.4875@trndny02>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Tantalust wrote:
    >
    > > "AirRaid" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/07/format-war-gets-more-warlike/
    > >>
    > >>geeez.

    > > Yikes . . .
    > >
    > > I guess I'm not all *that* surprised, the place is crawling with so many
    > > incredible jerks these days. :-/
    > >
    > > What a wonderful forum it was years ago.

    > Over on the Blu-ray.com forums (like we're neutral either), AVS Forums
    > had become a symbolic punchline/buzzword for the schoolyard tactics and
    > general hinder-talking that was being demonstrated by the more rabid
    > HDDVD supporters as public support dwindled--
    >
    > Microsoft's own consumer media head Amir Majidimehr was a protected
    > "celebrity" on the HD forum and had been narcissistically self-promoting
    > King Bully on the playground--and with some of the most howling PR
    > propaganda/misinformation this side of Ken Graffeo--before he also had
    > to make an unscheduled exit from the Forums.
    > The kids on the BR forums would say "Did you see what they said this
    > week?--Let's go over there and get 'em!", and the regulars would calm
    > them down with "Why bother, they'll just make more..."
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    in the meantime, the bluray forums were dropping anyone that said a
    disparaging word about anything bluray...

    AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 8, 2007
  5. In article <PzNYi.5493$bm.2124@trndny08>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > >>Over on the Blu-ray.com forums (like we're neutral either), AVS Forums
    > >>had become a symbolic punchline/buzzword for the schoolyard tactics and
    > >>general hinder-talking that was being demonstrated by the more rabid
    > >>HDDVD supporters as public support dwindled--
    > >>
    > >>Microsoft's own consumer media head Amir Majidimehr was a protected
    > >>"celebrity" on the HD forum and had been narcissistically self-promoting
    > >>King Bully on the playground--and with some of the most howling PR
    > >>propaganda/misinformation this side of Ken Graffeo--before he also had
    > >>to make an unscheduled exit from the Forums.
    > >>The kids on the BR forums would say "Did you see what they said this
    > >>week?--Let's go over there and get 'em!", and the regulars would calm
    > >>them down with "Why bother, they'll just make more..."

    > > in the meantime, the bluray forums were dropping anyone that said a
    > > disparaging word about anything bluray...

    > (In fact, "being banned from AVS", just because Amir said yo-mamma,
    > started to become something of a badge of honor, on BR.com--
    > At least for those who still bothered about AVS, and didn't just shake
    > their heads sadly.)

    I've said plenty of good and bad things about HDDVD and BluRay, kind of
    an equal opportunity bitcher, if you will... And I've never been banned
    anywhere.

    Those that get banned at AVS almost always are because they have
    attacked other posters and not the posts.

    > > AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    > > every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    > > spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    > Yeah, Blu fans would go around spouting things like "Transformers HD
    > *still* couldn't get #1 sales vs. Blu-ray in its opening week", and "2/3
    > of first-time Joe-Sixpack customers who bought $99 Toshiba A2 players at
    > Wal-Mart last week LITERALLY weren't even aware of what they were buying
    > player' that would turn everything HD--While the other third of longtime
    > disk fans confessed that they were intentionally just buying a cheap
    > upscaler, period"....
    >
    > While the HD Forums were still giving their readers scare stories from
    > 2006 about PS3's unable to upscale DVD's, and cheering their supporters
    > to the "news" that Warner had decided to release all their Harry Potter
    > movies as HD-only.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (well, *they* believed it...)

    The blu fans certainly don't have a problem with the 'less is more'
    mentality that Sony and the other BD CEMs are passing around.

    You know, less audio capability for more money, like the S300. Or hell,
    practically none of the current or announced BD players will do online
    interactive that Disney is spouting off about for BD. Or maybe only one
    Profile 1.1 player will actually ship this year, and dates of bd movie
    releases are being slid 'cause only the PS3 plays them???

    And the FUD that the PS3 will be upgraded to Profile 1.1 when Sony
    hasn't said that at all.

    The words that come to mind most often in the BD posings is 'deception
    and disarray'.

    As to the HDA2, it was a hell of a bargain. If you didn't buy one you
    really care more about one format than you do about movies in Hidef.
    $99 for a HDDVD player that also upscales SD better than most upscalers?
    Heck of a deal. BD has no answer for that as they are in the "let's rip
    the early adopters off some more" mode.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 8, 2007
  6. In article <4733acce$0$16453$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > in the meantime, the bluray forums were dropping anyone that said a
    > > disparaging word about anything bluray...
    > >
    > > AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    > > every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    > > spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    > Is there another A/V board where anyone can knowledgably discuss HD, notably
    > Blu-ray players? I'm in the market to buy one before the holidays and I
    > have some specific questions as it relates to my Home Theater setup.
    >
    > T.B.

    Unfortunately it is a daunting task to get good info about either format
    on any board. The fanboards, like bluray.com, put out info that is
    slanted to make BD look better as do the HDDVD boards for HDDVD.

    On AVS, all too many threads, even the ones you wouldn't suspect, get
    hijacked to fanboi attacks. That makes finding the good info difficult.

    While I am not an expert, I have both BD and HDDVD and can probably
    answer your questions. In the interest of fairness, I do like HDDVD
    better, but I'm not a fanboi.

    Here's a couple of things I would be looking at if I just had to buy a
    BD player now instead of waiting until the next profile is in place and
    being used.

    1. While nothing is certain, it appears that the PS3 is capable of
    being upgraded to the newer profile with just a firmware download.
    However, Sony has not said they will do it.

    2. If you have a home theater that is capable of handling the newer
    codecs or LPCM in 5.1 or 7.1, then which player is important. The PS3
    and some other players do TrueHD (Sony films new love), NO players
    currently do DTSHD-MA (all Fox movies) in any fashion. There has been
    discussion that the PS3 might and a couple of others will soon.

    If I were recommending a player to buy today, I would say wait. If that
    wasn't good enough, then a PS3 would be the next pick.

    Heck, I may even get one myself as I'm not thrilled with my S300. I'll
    wait for the give-away pricing of Black Friday to come around...

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  7. In article <biOYi.8135$Cc.2113@trndny09>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > T.B. wrote:
    > > "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    > >
    > >>in the meantime, the bluray forums were dropping anyone that said a
    > >>disparaging word about anything bluray...
    > >>
    > >>AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    > >>every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    > >>spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    > > Is there another A/V board where anyone can knowledgably discuss HD, notably
    > > Blu-ray players? I'm in the market to buy one before the holidays and I
    > > have some specific questions as it relates to my Home Theater setup.

    > Not to plug, but we're well acquainted with AVS shenanigans over on
    > Blu-ray.com, and try to avoid them whenever possible, for more
    > supportive "booster" forum discussions--Home theater and HDTV setups
    > included.
    > http://www.blu-ray.com/
    > (And although the site has reviews and news-blog, don't worry, we're not
    > as brown-nosingly sappy as HollywoodinHiDef.com, which Lloyd thinks we
    > all are in the first place.)
    >
    > Some forums may be a bit skewed to the PS3 gaming community, but fact
    > is, in Blu-ray, what isn't? :)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    And us from AVS are well acquainted with the fanboism of blu-ray.com
    too! <G>

    But it is a good place to get good info about which BD player to buy,
    although it is a bit confusing for most. There are so many different
    configurations with BD that it is difficult to get it all at any price
    in one machine.

    But blu-ray.com has good info for those that have decided BD is the one
    to get. It is NOT at all good for those that are looking to decide
    which is better. I'm not real sure that any site is very good at that
    these days.

    Personally I would have bought the $99 HDDVD player. At about the cost
    of a good evening out on the town for two, you get an excellent player.
    And then buy whichever BD player blows your skirt up. That way you're
    covered while all the battles are being fought by us peons on behalf of
    the big greedy corporations... :)

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  8. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Derek Janssen, Nov 9, 2007
  9. In article <yuOYi.8140$Cc.5865@trndny09>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > >
    > > As to the HDA2, it was a hell of a bargain. If you didn't buy one you
    > > really care more about one format than you do about movies in Hidef.
    > > $99 for a HDDVD player that also upscales SD better than most upscalers?
    > > Heck of a deal. BD has no answer for that as they are in the "let's rip
    > > the early adopters off some more" mode.

    > Well, the answer, at least the one we've gotten from the neutrals that
    > wanted a "cheap upscaler" is, that it's not a very GOOD upscaler.
    > Edges, artifacts, everything that the neutrals have been complaining
    > about with X-box upscaling, and without at least the decency of a few
    > games once in a while.
    > (And that's leaving aside the fact that most of those who bought their
    > A2's backordered from Best Buy found out they'd be automatically
    > replaced with the next A3's, which is...*really* going to make a few
    > thousand Wal-Mart buyers happy.)
    >
    > Sony, meanwhile, has always been one hell of an upscaler (as I found out
    > when I tried to get a progressive LG to replace my old standard Sony,
    > and discovered it was a step down)--
    > And given that the same Sony parts are in PS3's playback...no, wait, did
    > I *actually* see you trying to do the 2006 pre-firmware "PS3 doesn't
    > upscale SD" bit in public?
    > No, c'mon, don't give me that look, admit it, that's what you thought
    > that whole "No answer" thing was, you WERE, weren't you?
    >
    > (...HEY, GUYS!!! :-D
    > <points>
    > Guess who's still doing the old "PS3 doesn't upscale" bit!)
    >
    > Derek Janssen

    The HDA2 does a slightly better job at upscaling than does my S300. But
    it is very slight.

    And no, I know the PS3 will do upscaling.

    If you are going to try to put words in my mouth, at least put the ones
    I said there. Or feel free to show where I said what you claimed...

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  10. In article <JAOYi.12989$%n.6827@trndny07>,
    Derek Janssen <> wrote:

    > Lloyd Parsons wrote:
    > >
    > > Personally I would have bought the $99 HDDVD player.

    > But...you DIDN'T, did you?
    >
    > And now basically just parroting the PR about how nice it is to have a
    > cheap player to put in your shopping cart, and feel clever that you got
    > a bargain, and want to thumb your nose at big fat executives with
    > cigars, regardless of picture quality, software availability, or any
    > actual applied experience?
    >
    > > At about the cost
    > > of a good evening out on the town for two, you get an excellent player.
    > > And then buy whichever BD player blows your skirt up. That way you're
    > > covered while all the battles are being fought by us peons on behalf of
    > > the big greedy corporations... :)

    > (Ooo-kay...Answers that question.)
    >
    > Derek Janssen (bystander readers, apply credibility accordingly)

    Matter of fact I bought my HDA2 when they first started shipping. I
    also bought the Sony BDP-S300 when it first started shipping.

    I enjoy movies on both in Hidef, virtually identical in performance and
    software availability.

    The only practical differences between the two formats is price and
    which titles are there. The potential is there for BD to be better, but
    it isn't being used. And which has better titles is strictly an opinion.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  11. In article <>,
    "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Lloyd Parsons <> wrote:
    >
    > > AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    > > every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    > > spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    > I'm Joe Average. I have a hi-def TV, nothing special, and I'm getting
    > the QAM channels and also am still watching the analog channels (via
    > ReplayTV).
    >
    > Why do I care about any of it? No, let me rephrase that: why SHOULD I
    > care about any of it?

    If you are happy watching what you are watching, I can't think of any
    reason you should care about it.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 9, 2007
  12. AirRaid

    T.B. Guest

    (snip)

    T.B., Nov 9, 2007
  13. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Derek Janssen, Nov 9, 2007
  14. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Derek Janssen, Nov 9, 2007
  15. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Derek Janssen, Nov 9, 2007
  16. In article <>,

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Nov 9, 2007
  17. AirRaid

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 16:40:54 -0800, T.B. wrote:

    > Is there another A/V board where anyone can knowledgably discuss HD, notably
    > Blu-ray players? I'm in the market to buy one before the holidays and I
    > have some specific questions as it relates to my Home Theater setup.
    >
    > T.B.

    AVS Forums has a good search function. What you need to know has probably
    been discussed countless times, so the answer is probably there:

    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=149

    You can search the entire forum, or click on a likely looking thread and
    search that thread only.

    Kuskokwim, Nov 9, 2007
  18. Re: HD-DVD, Blu Ray forums on AVS Forum shut down because of physicalthreats

    Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    > I'm Joe Average. I have a hi-def TV, nothing special, and I'm getting
    > the QAM channels and also am still watching the analog channels (via
    > ReplayTV).
    >
    > Why do I care about any of it? No, let me rephrase that: why SHOULD I
    > care about any of it?

    FMM, the best way to strategically freak out an invited first-time
    neophyte who doesn't know "what the big deal is" about Hi-Def video on
    an HDTV screen, is to put on one of Paramount's hi-def titles--

    And watch their reaction to that opening studio logo, where we're
    suckered in by a dingy, fuzzy DVD-copy image of the Paramount logo, and
    then...SURPRISE!...the DVD layer is "peeled off", Claritin-style, to
    show the Mountain in HD/Blu color and definition. :D

    Derek Janssen (now, why couldn't Warner's openings have an
    argument-clincher that cool?)

    Derek Janssen, Nov 9, 2007
  19. AirRaid

    T.B. Guest

    "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

    >> (snip)
    >>
    >> > in the meantime, the bluray forums were dropping anyone that said a
    >> > disparaging word about anything bluray...
    >> >
    >> > AVS forums is more balanced that any of the fanboi sites/forums. For
    >> > every rabid HDDVD freak, there are that many rabid Bluray freaks, both
    >> > spouting misinformation at every increasing rates.

    >> Is there another A/V board where anyone can knowledgably discuss HD,
    >> notably
    >> Blu-ray players? I'm in the market to buy one before the holidays and I
    >> have some specific questions as it relates to my Home Theater setup.
    >>
    >> T.B.

    > Unfortunately it is a daunting task to get good info about either format
    > on any board. The fanboards, like bluray.com, put out info that is
    > slanted to make BD look better as do the HDDVD boards for HDDVD.
    >
    > On AVS, all too many threads, even the ones you wouldn't suspect, get
    > hijacked to fanboi attacks. That makes finding the good info difficult.
    >
    > While I am not an expert, I have both BD and HDDVD and can probably
    > answer your questions. In the interest of fairness, I do like HDDVD
    > better, but I'm not a fanboi.
    >
    > Here's a couple of things I would be looking at if I just had to buy a
    > BD player now instead of waiting until the next profile is in place and
    > being used.
    >
    > 1. While nothing is certain, it appears that the PS3 is capable of
    > being upgraded to the newer profile with just a firmware download.
    > However, Sony has not said they will do it.
    >
    > 2. If you have a home theater that is capable of handling the newer
    > codecs or LPCM in 5.1 or 7.1, then which player is important. The PS3
    > and some other players do TrueHD (Sony films new love), NO players
    > currently do DTSHD-MA (all Fox movies) in any fashion. There has been
    > discussion that the PS3 might and a couple of others will soon.
    >
    > If I were recommending a player to buy today, I would say wait. If that
    > wasn't good enough, then a PS3 would be the next pick.
    >
    > Heck, I may even get one myself as I'm not thrilled with my S300. I'll
    > wait for the give-away pricing of Black Friday to come around...

    One of my problems is that I do not have a HDMI capable receiver. I posted
    my questions in this newsgroup(s) under a separate thread so as not to
    hikack the hijinks in this one.

    T.B.

    T.B., Nov 9, 2007
  20. AirRaid

    willbill Guest

    Lloyd Parsons wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <> wrote:

    >>Why do I care about any of it? No, let me rephrase that: why SHOULD I
    >>care about any of it?

    > If you are happy watching what you are watching, I can't think of any
    > reason you should care about it.

    i'm happy with the video that my upscaling
    OPPO provides from standard DVD movies

    with either HD-DVD or BD, is the multichannel
    sound that much better?

    bill

    willbill, Nov 9, 2007