    when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
    available for the format by the end of the year."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 5, 2006

  2. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > http://news.com.com/HD DVD backers promise 200 movies/2100-1026_3-6019023.html
    >
    > "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
    > when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
    > available for the format by the end of the year."

    Amazon has a list of a few of the titles. OTTOMH: Matrix trilogy, Star
    Trek movies, Band of Brothers, Friends, Batman Begins, Braveheart.

    WN distributes HBO shows. Rome, The Wire, Sopranos should be out this
    year, i'd expect. HD ROME looked beauteous.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > http://news.com.com/HD DVD backers promise 200 movies/2100-1026_3-6019023.html
    >
    > "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
    > when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
    > available for the format by the end of the year."
    >

    > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
    > from
    > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
    > time."
    > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
    DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.

    Alpha, Jan 5, 2006
  4. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Alpha wrote:
    > "Allan" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > http://news.com.com/HD DVD backers promise 200 movies/2100-1026_3-6019023.html
    > >
    > > "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
    > > when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
    > > available for the format by the end of the year."
    > >

    > > "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    > > because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
    > > from
    > > -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
    > > time."
    > > - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    > Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
    > DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.

    Isn't that a bit premature? I mean, don't you want to see what it/they
    look like before buying into it? And deciding between players, also,
    you'd likely like to see wha tsome of the issues are prior to buying
    into it?

    At least that's where I stand on it. I'd like to buy into on of the
    formats.

    I'm particularly interested in burners and putting x264 mkv files onto
    a disc and then using a MMPC to output 720p/1080p to the HDTV.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 5, 2006
  5. Allan

    Goro Guest

    I just checked amazon.com and it seems like they pulled all the HD-DVD
    title listings.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 5, 2006
  6. Allan

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:24:11 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >"Allan" <> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> http://news.com.com/HD DVD backers promise 200 movies/2100-1026_3-6019023.html
    >>
    >> "LAS VEGAS--The video format wars kicked into high gear on Wednesday
    >> when the companies backing HD DVD said that nearly 200 titles would be
    >> available for the format by the end of the year."
    >>

    >> "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game
    >> because they almost always turn out to be -- or to be indistinguishable
    >> from
    >> -- self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
    >> time."
    >> - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    >Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
    >DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.

    Good man! Early adopters create the market, initially.
    -Rich

    Rich, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:24:11 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the HD
    >DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.

    What model are you gettng???

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 14:05:10 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >I just checked amazon.com and it seems like they pulled all the HD-DVD
    >title listings.
    >
    >-goro-

    Actually... Amazon has created a HD DVD Store:

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...831/sr=53-1/ref=tr_277291/102-2434420-3860910

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 6, 2006
  9. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 19:42:46 -0500, Rich <> Gave us:

    >Good man! Early adopters create the market, initially.
    >-Rich

    In this case, they fund the research for a product that will actually
    work!

    Compared to all other methods of putting the ability to view a film
    in your home, this one will surely be a roller coaster ride. One that
    I won't be riding on for a long time.

    DVD will be around for a long time, and is at a perfectly fine
    resolution.

    All the folks that pissed and moaned about the prices of DVD will
    have a field day with the prices of the HD titles. Hahahahah...

    This shit is too funny.

    Blue lasers die at the same rate your wallets will!

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 6, 2006
  10. Allan

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 20:32:52 -0500, Allan
    <> Gave us:

    >Actually... Amazon has created a HD DVD Store:

    It is a test for popularity so they can determine how far they are
    going to ream you.

    Note also that each title clearly states that the studios have NOT
    provided release dates yet.

    The whole thing is a cash cow.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jan 6, 2006
  11. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Goro, Jan 6, 2006
  12. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    The player is the same as photographed on the link and is also on
    Amazon.com.

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  13. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I need an HDMI interface player anyway for my new gigantic flat screen which
    will arrive in a few weeks. Why not upgrade?

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  14. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    I found 11.95 reasonable....Amazon.com delivered for free from Cables Direct
    at 21.95.

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  15. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Alpha" <> wrote in message
    >I need an HDMI interface player anyway for my new gigantic flat screen
    >which will arrive in a few weeks. Why not upgrade?

    PS

    This is the first time I will be an early adopter. It seems reasonable in
    cost considering the first release of a CD player was in the $2K range in
    1983 dollars.

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 17:57:39 -0800, "Goro" <> wrote:

    >cool. good to know.
    >
    >OT, but what the fsck is up with HDMI cable prices?
    >
    >Gawd DAMB!

    You can get them cheaper than that. Make sure to shop around first
    (Ebay for example).

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 6, 2006
  17. Allan

    Allan Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 01:56:48 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    > It is a test for popularity so they can determine how far they are
    >going to ream you.
    >
    > Note also that each title clearly states that the studios have NOT
    >provided release dates yet.
    >
    > The whole thing is a cash cow.

    The Amazon store is quite new, there will be many changes over the
    next few months.

    There are some dates:

    For a complete list of Warner Home Video - HD DVD titles, please see
    below.

    WARNER HOME VIDEO - HD DVD TITLES

    Title Street Date
    Batman Begins 3/28/2006

    Constantine 3/28/2006

    Million Dollar Baby 3/28/2006

    Phantom of the Opera 3/28/2006

    Twister 3/28/2006

    Harry Potter and the
    Goblet of Fire 4/11/2006

    The Last Samurai 4/11/2006

    Lethal Weapon 4/11/2006

    Training Day 4/11/2006

    Unforgiven 4/11/2006

    Goodfellas 4/25/2006

    Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 4/25/2006

    The Matrix 4/25/2006

    Swordfish 4/25/2006

    Syriana 4/25/2006

    Blazing Saddles 5/09/2006

    Dukes of Hazzard 5/09/2006

    Full Metal Jacket 5/09/2006

    Rumor Has It 5/09/2006

    Terminator 3:
    Rise of the Machines 5/09/2006

    Charlie & the Chocolate Factory 5/16/2006

    The Green Mile Special Edition 5/16/2006

    Ocean's Twelve 5/16/2006

    Troy 5/16/2006

    http://home.businesswire.com/portal...d=news_view&newsId=20060105005946&newsLang=en

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Jan 6, 2006
  18. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 12:24:11 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I am willing to put my money where my mouth is. I pre-ordered the
    >>HD
    >>DVD player and several titles on Amazon.com.
    >>

    > What model are you gettng???

    The $499 model.

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006
  19. Allan

    Goro Guest

    by "lookk like", i meant the video output, natch. And before buying,
    i'd like to compare (say) Denon, Sony Elite, Samsung, Panasonic, etc...
    I mean, if I'm gonna lay out $1k on a player, I'd like to know that
    I'm getting the best and that's likely going to be a second revision.

    -goro-

    Goro, Jan 6, 2006
  20. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Goro" <> wrote in message
    > by "lookk like", i meant the video output, natch. And before buying,
    > i'd like to compare (say) Denon, Sony Elite, Samsung, Panasonic, etc...
    > I mean, if I'm gonna lay out $1k on a player, I'd like to know that
    > I'm getting the best and that's likely going to be a second revision.

    Ok....but the specs are published, and it is $500 at release.

    Alpha, Jan 6, 2006