HD-DVD and Blu-Ray playback on your PC? Tough!

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GraB, Feb 15, 2006.

  1. GraB

    GraB Guest

    GraB, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Hi there,

    GraB wrote:
    > http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_nvidia_hdcp_support/
    >
    > Another reason why I think the new formats will fail. Apart from the
    > fact that Windows Vista will be required, which many will forgo.

    It'll be like any other protection mechanism in that somewhere
    it will have a weakness. DVD was supposed to be protected from
    use by unlicensed players, but libdvdcss took care of that. To
    play WMV9 videos on an OS other than Windows or Mac was not able
    to be done a year or two back; now Linux users can read WMV9
    format, convert them to other formats, and even write WMV8...

    They can shut the door, but cannot forever lock it...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 16, 2006