    of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
    difference?
    http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v
    RichA, Feb 5, 2005

  2. RichA

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 18:43:49 -0500, RichA wrote:

    > Take a look at the price of this player.
    > Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
    > who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
    > notice any difference between it and regular
    > DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
    > of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
    > difference?
    > http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

    That's not an HD-DVD player. That's a DVD player that upconverts the image
    to HD. To benefit from this feature, one would need a TV capable of
    handling an HD signal, regardless of the actual resolution of the TV. It's
    like progressive scan, which is predominant on current DVD players despite
    most people not having the capability to utilize it.

    -Jay
    Jay G., Feb 6, 2005

  3. RichA

    Mike Kohary Guest

    RichA wrote:
    > Take a look at the price of this player.
    > Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
    > who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
    > notice any difference between it and regular
    > DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
    > of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
    > difference?
    > http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

    It says:

    "HD DVD playback: In addition to progressive-scan capability, this stylish
    DVD player can upconvert movies to high-definition 1080i resolution. This
    means you can enjoy all of your favorite films in stunning high-definition."

    I'm guessing it's not true HD; it just upconverts the standard resolution to
    HD resolution, but of course that doesn't add any of the extra detail that
    makes HD hi-def, and it probably doesn't play actual HD discs.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 6, 2005
  4. RichA

    Richard C. Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > Take a look at the price of this player.
    > Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
    > who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
    > notice any difference between it and regular
    > DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
    > of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
    > difference?
    > http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

    Do you realize that this is NOT an HD-DVD player?
    Richard C., Feb 6, 2005
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 12:55:26 -0800, "Richard C."
    <> wrote:

    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> Take a look at the price of this player.
    >> Are they trying to sell HD-DVD to people
    >> who are unlikely to have HD tvs and who won't
    >> notice any difference between it and regular
    >> DVD? Or, if a person has a large screen tv capable
    >> of 600-800 lines of resolution, will they see a
    >> difference?
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6dx3v

    >Do you realize that this is NOT an HD-DVD player?

    I do now. I should have known since those things have
    been out for a couple years.
    -Rich
    RichA, Feb 7, 2005