    comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.
    --
    regards to you all / Corsair
    Corsair, Jun 5, 2006

  2. Corsair

    Larry Hodges Guest

    I run PerfectDisk 7.0. I like it for several reasons. First, you can
    schedule defrags to run at night so you don't have to manually do it.
    Second, you can run offline defrags, which will defrag paging and system
    files upon a reboot.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Jun 5, 2006

  3. I'll second Larry's vote for PerfectDisk. I've used them for years, on both
    clients and servers, and like their products a lot.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 5, 2006
  4. Corsair

    Bioboffin Guest

    Corsair wrote:

    > is it the defrag program of windows xp x64 good enough??
    >
    > or is there any other 3rd party tool better than the one with the o.s.
    > comes?? and of course which runs natively on x64.

    Like the others who have replied, I am using Perfect disk.

    There is also Diskeeper pro, which runs quicker than Perfect disk, but in my
    opinion does not do such a thorough job. In addition, Diskeeper's upgrade
    policy is a bit convoluted.

    Another possibility is O&O which has a 64 bit version, and you can download
    it for free and trial it for 30 days.

    All three offer boot defrag, which enables you to defragment the MFT zone
    and paging file. The built in defragmenter doesn't do that.

    OTOH, there are web sites that suggest that defragmentation is not very
    important for NTFS, at least on drives which are less than 90% full. It
    gives you a tiny speed improvement.

    --

    John.
    Bioboffin, Jun 5, 2006
  5. Corsair

    Rick Guest

    From personal experience I can assure you defragging is beneficial. I
    even had a situation recently where a computer would not install updates
    because the HD was too fragmented. I forgot the BSOD error, but when I
    found it on Microsoft's web site, the solution was to defrag the HD.
    The built-in defragger would lock-up and I had to use PerfectDisk to
    defrag the HD before the system would install the updates.

    Rick, Jun 5, 2006
  6. Corsair

    Corsair Guest

    Thanks to you all, I'll try with Perfect Disk and I'll post about.
    --
    regards/Corsair
    Corsair, Jun 5, 2006
  7. Corsair

    RFOG Guest

    You forgot speed.

    A system defragmented with perfect disk or diskeeper or other
    *professional* defragmenter is noticeably faster.

    --
    Visita mi blog: http://rfog.blogsome.com
    Libros, ciencia ficción y programación
    RFOG, Jun 5, 2006
  8. Corsair

    Graham Guest

    Bioboffin wrote:
    > Another possibility is O&O which has a 64 bit version, and you can download
    > it for free and trial it for 30 days.

    Just a word of caution about this one. Things may have changed after all
    the rumpus about Sony's rootkit, but the O&O Defrag trial of about a
    year ago put hidden values in your registery. Rootkitrevealer found them
    though, but getting rid of them was another matter.

    Incidentally, the O&O Defrag program worked fine, but I bought
    Perfectdisk 7 instead, at least in part because it doesn't try to hide
    things on my machine.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 6, 2006
  9. Yes. It will do the job. You may safely ignore cheerleading for various
    third party programs. I say that as a huge fan of Diskeeper 10. The
    decision of whether or not to use a third party defrag program is one of
    speed. All are faster than the system tool but the provided defrag program
    works just fine.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 6, 2006
  10. Although, it is a problem, I think that NTFS's willingness to 'Fragment' is
    coupled with the system tool's unwillingness to compact the free space. This
    could bring you trouble as free space evaporates away.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jun 6, 2006
  11. Corsair

    John Barnes Guest

    Trial versions of most programs usually leave entries behind to keep you
    from chain installing to avoid payment. Not limited to O&O.

    John Barnes, Jun 6, 2006
  12. Charlie:
    Does any of these third-party defraggers have an option for optimizing boot
    time by rearranging files on the disk as MS Bootvis?
    Or better then: Does MS have or plans to have an x64 Bootvis?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 6, 2006
  13. PerfectDisk does some significant optimizing of location.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 6, 2006
  14. Thanks, Charlie.
    :)
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jun 6, 2006
  15. Corsair

    Graham Guest

    John Barnes wrote:
    > Trial versions of most programs usually leave entries behind to keep you
    > from chain installing to avoid payment. Not limited to O&O.

    True, but very few create hidden entries which cannot be removed. As far
    as I'm concerned if it behaves like a rootkit, it'll get treated as
    though it is one, whether it is Sony's digital restrictions management,
    O&O's trial timeout enforcement or an actual rootkit. Note that just
    like Sony's effort, it takes some time to figure out what put it there,
    so it is much safer to treat it as hostile as soon as it is detected.

    In any case, there's many ways of achieving this without behaving like a
    rootkit.

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 7, 2006
  16. Microsoft is going to come out with a rootkit removal tool called "Root
    Canal." :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  17. Corsair

    Graham Guest

    Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Microsoft is going to come out with a rootkit removal tool called "Root
    > Canal." :)

    Yikes! Makes the cure sound as bad as the problem!

    Graham.
    Graham, Jun 7, 2006
  18. Not unlike trying to remove a messed up Symantec installation.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 7, 2006
  19. I have to throw my two cents in for diskkeeper professional. I've been using
    it since version 7 and it's been great. Only hassle is that now that I'm 64
    bit my version 7 won't install so in theory at least I can't get the upgrade
    price although I'm sure they'd work something out if I felt like calling
    them. It's only $59.00 for a full version download, something like 80 bucks
    at someplace like compusa. They have great support and issue periodic updates
    on a regular basis. You can download a trialware version of diskeeper 10, it
    works great and is FAAAAAAAAAAAST on the 64 bit os. I've got three big hard
    drives and it works tons faster than the 32 bit version ever did. The
    professional version (as opposed to the home version) has a few more
    functions including boot time defrag of the MFT and a auto defrag function
    that keeps the disk from getting fragmented in the first place (worked pretty
    good on 32 bit). The trial version doesn't get updates and some stuff
    doesn't work but you get a really good idea of how well it works otherwise.

    =?Utf-8?B?U3VlIGluIEZsb3JpZGE=?=, Jun 20, 2006
  20. I am a fan of Diskeeper also. Our group played a part in getting DK corp to
    allow DK Pro to run on x64. On release DK corp wanted us to have to buy a
    much more expensive version for XP Pro x64 than for XP Pro x86.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 20, 2006