    diagnosis?

    Thanks in advance,

    -Eric
    SS, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Hello Eric, first once the hard drive that was installed in the PC started
    grinding you are on the right path of replacing the defective hard drive.
    Now once the new replacement drive is installed you notice that the drive
    was not performing at optimum speed. Questions? What is the size of the
    "old" drive? What was the size of the "new" drive? Your unit is a older unit
    and replacing the defective hard drive that doesn't match the new one can
    cause problems on the IDE controller. I feel that the power supply that is
    installed on this unit should be able to handle the hard drive without any
    issues. And has no effect of "how fast the hard drive spins". There is a
    device that checks the power supply voltage fluxes and it about $15 at your
    near by computer store or online. Now on a final note hard drive performance
    is powered by the PC processor, RAM (memory) and proper wattage of the power
    supply used. And also I need to add that the operating system used can also
    play a factor in hard drive performance. So in closing you are doing
    everything right but if you can go online and if AST has a web site you can
    check the parts that are installed in this PC and that will help in the
    upgrading issues. Hope this helps...

    Carlis
    Computer Doctor
    Computer Doctor, Feb 27, 2004

  3. SS

    Wizard Guest

    Are you shitting me ???????????????

    Computer Doctor wrote:

    > Hello Eric, first once the hard drive that was installed in the PC started
    > grinding you are on the right path of replacing the defective hard drive.
    > Now once the new replacement drive is installed you notice that the drive
    > was not performing at optimum speed. Questions? What is the size of the
    > "old" drive? What was the size of the "new" drive? Your unit is a older unit
    > and replacing the defective hard drive that doesn't match the new one can
    > cause problems on the IDE controller.

    Bullshit!

    > I feel that the power supply that is
    > installed on this unit should be able to handle the hard drive without any
    > issues.
    > And has no effect of "how fast the hard drive spins". There is a
    > device that checks the power supply voltage fluxes

    Fluxes ?????????????? What is the name of this device (can't be a
    magnetometer, cause they cost a lot more than $15)

    > and it about $15 at your
    > near by computer store or online. Now on a final note hard drive performance
    > is powered by the PC processor, RAM (memory) and proper wattage of the power
    > supply used.

    Nonsense!

    > And also I need to add that the operating system used can also
    > play a factor in hard drive performance.

    More nonsense!

    > So in closing you are doing
    > everything right but if you can go online and if AST has a web site you can
    > check the parts that are installed in this PC and that will help in the
    > upgrading issues.

    He ain't looking to upgrade anything ......

    AST died long ago, was sold many times so their ain't gonna be no help
    from them

    Wizard, Feb 28, 2004
  4. SS

    Wizard Guest

    Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

    Wizard, Feb 28, 2004
  5. SS

    Thor Guest

    I'm curious as to whether the Fujitsu drive was actually a new one, old
    stock, etc. Last I read, they had gotten out of the consumer IDE drive
    market in 2001 to concentrate only on the SCSI enterprise and laptop drive
    market. This happened not long after the fiasco they had with the faulty
    Cirrus Logic controller chips causing millions of their drives to fail.
    Indeed, checking Fujitsu's website reveals that only SCSI desktop and
    Laptop/mobile ATA drives are available now.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/27926.html

    http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/products/hard-drives/hd-public-statment-faq.html

    Thor, Feb 28, 2004
  6. SS

    EG Guest

    Thanks - I priced a replacement for the entire Tiger power supply, but at
    $100, it's not worth replacing. I'm better off buying a new (or newer)
    computer.

    You're right that AST died a long time ago, so chasing down a solution
    involves a lot of time. At some point, fixing the old box just isn't worth
    it anymore.

    EG, Feb 28, 2004
  7. SS

    EG Guest

    Thanks - the Fujitsu drive was old stock, one that I had sitting around for
    several years but never used. I looked at Fujitsu's web site for downloads
    of any sort, but the drive isn't supported anymore.

    EG, Feb 28, 2004