HD-A2 HD-DVD player $98.97 @ Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Kuskokwim, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Kuskokwim

    Kuskokwim Guest

    Kuskokwim, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Kuskokwim

    Telstar Guest

    "Kuskokwim" <> wrote in message
    news:neyajihz5tx.129rktcpl80lv$...
    > Friday at 8:00am:
    > http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    Good luck: 'WHERE AVAILABLE' (legally possible: NOWHERE) minimum 10
    players.....Oh I'd bet on getting one of those.

    Telstar, Nov 2, 2007

  3. On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:10:07 -0700, Kuskokwim <> wrote:

    >Friday at 8:00am:
    >http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    Hell, somebody could buy that and rip the reader drive out to put into
    their PC, and get it cheaper than a reader can be found for!

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 2, 2007
  4. On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:37:39 -0700, "Telstar" <> wrote:

    >"Kuskokwim" <> wrote in message
    >> Friday at 8:00am:
    >> http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    >Good luck: 'WHERE AVAILABLE' (legally possible: NOWHERE) minimum 10
    >players.....Oh I'd bet on getting one of those.

    Hey you! Yeah you, the fucking retarded idiot! Go be retarded
    somewhere else, little boy.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 2, 2007
  5. Kuskokwim

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:37:39 -0700, Telstar wrote:

    > "Kuskokwim" <> wrote in message
    >> Friday at 8:00am:
    >> http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    > Good luck: 'WHERE AVAILABLE' (legally possible: NOWHERE) minimum 10
    > players.....Oh I'd bet on getting one of those.

    I don't know, but it might be possible to get one:

    NEW YORK (MarketWatch) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT:Wal-Mart Stores, Inc
    News, chart, profile, more
    Last: 44.99-0.38-0.84%

    12:00pm 10/31/2007

    WMT 44.99, -0.38, -0.8%) on Wednesday said it would start its Black Friday
    and holiday pricing early on some items, in a move to drive sales during
    the increasingly competitive holiday shopping season. Wal-Mart, the world's
    largest retailer, said it will offer Black-Friday prices three weeks early
    by unveiling "secret" in-store specials. The company said it will offer
    discounts on five popular gift items. Wal-Mart plans to reveal discounts on
    its Web site on Thursday. The items will be available in stores beginning
    Friday morning, Nov. 2 as it officially opens its special Christmas shops.
    The day after Thanksgiving is one of the biggest shopping days of the year
    and is known as "Black Friday" in the retail industry because retailers
    earn so much on this single day they are able to swing to profitability.

    Also, the 800 lb. gorilla speaks:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcfpJDcmq5M

    Kuskokwim, Nov 2, 2007
  6. Kuskokwim

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:19:43 -0700, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:

    > On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:10:07 -0700, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    >
    >>Friday at 8:00am:
    >>http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    > Hell, somebody could buy that and rip the reader drive out to put into
    > their PC, and get it cheaper than a reader can be found for!

    There is a poll of Blu-ray owners at the AVS forums. 65% of them say they
    are going to try to buy one of these HD-A2 players so they can have both
    formats. For 99 bucks, why not?

    Kuskokwim, Nov 2, 2007
  7. On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:56:59 -0700, Kuskokwim <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 18:19:43 -0700, ChairmanOfTheBored wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 1 Nov 2007 17:10:07 -0700, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Friday at 8:00am:
    >>>http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    >> Hell, somebody could buy that and rip the reader drive out to put into
    >> their PC, and get it cheaper than a reader can be found for!

    >There is a poll of Blu-ray owners at the AVS forums. 65% of them say they
    >are going to try to buy one of these HD-A2 players so they can have both
    >formats. For 99 bucks, why not?

    I own both already, and I'll go buy one.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Nov 2, 2007
  8. Kuskokwim

    T.B. Guest

    "Kuskokwim" wrote:

    > Friday at 8:00am:
    > http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    There's a Walmart only a mile from where I drop my son off at school so I
    went there right at 8am and they had just opened their doors. There was a
    line of about 50 people, some there for other deals and they had already
    sold out of their stock of 30 players. One guy was pissed that the first of
    second guy in line had bought 10 players, obviously intending to resell them
    on eBay. It wasn't a big deal to me as I'm going to buy a Pioneer Blu-Ray
    player for the holidays but it was such a good deal it was worth at least
    checking out.

    T.B.

    T.B., Nov 2, 2007
  9. Got mine.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Nov 2, 2007
  10. Kuskokwim

    T.B. Guest

    "Geena Phillips" wrote:

    > Got mine.

    FWIW, Best Buy is selling the same player at the same price.

    I decided to take a drive to my local Best Buy which indeed had the same
    HD-DVD player for $99. However, they didn't have any in stock except a
    couple returns priced at $249(!) and the idiot BB guy couldn't work their
    inventory pc to figure out if they had any in stock there or at another
    local store. And of course, they won't do rain checks on such sale items.

    After looking over the (pretty thrashed) player they had on the shelf which
    was really a lot more bare-bones than I thought and looking over the
    available HD titles, I basically came to the conclusion even 99 bucks and
    any further hassle wasn't worth the purchase considering there was maybe
    half a dozen titles on that format I was seriously interested in buying and
    one, The Matrix box set is going to be released in the Spring on Blu-Ray.

    On the plus side, today really reinforced my overall hatred of "Big Box"
    stores like Walmart and Best Buy.

    T.B.

    T.B., Nov 2, 2007
  11. In article <472b9674$0$5007$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Geena Phillips" wrote:
    >
    > > Got mine.

    > FWIW, Best Buy is selling the same player at the same price.
    >
    > I decided to take a drive to my local Best Buy which indeed had the same
    > HD-DVD player for $99. However, they didn't have any in stock except a
    > couple returns priced at $249(!) and the idiot BB guy couldn't work their
    > inventory pc to figure out if they had any in stock there or at another
    > local store. And of course, they won't do rain checks on such sale items.
    >
    > After looking over the (pretty thrashed) player they had on the shelf which
    > was really a lot more bare-bones than I thought and looking over the
    > available HD titles, I basically came to the conclusion even 99 bucks and
    > any further hassle wasn't worth the purchase considering there was maybe
    > half a dozen titles on that format I was seriously interested in buying and
    > one, The Matrix box set is going to be released in the Spring on Blu-Ray.
    >
    > On the plus side, today really reinforced my overall hatred of "Big Box"
    > stores like Walmart and Best Buy.
    >
    > T.B.

    Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
    upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
    plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

    If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
    then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
    some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
    free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
    actually paid you to buy it....

    Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 3, 2007
  12. Kuskokwim

    T.B. Guest

    "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:

    (snip)

    > Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
    > upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
    > plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

    It's worth noting you don't get to pick any 5 movies, you're limited to a
    selection of one each from the following catagories:

    Aeon Flux [PG-13]
    Babel [R]
    The Italian Job[PG-13]

    Category B
    The Hulk [PG-13]
    Pitch Black [NR]
    The Thing [R]

    Category C
    Charlie & The Choclate Factory [PG]
    Swordfish [PG]
    Full Metal Jacket (original release) [R]

    Category D
    Firewall [PG-13]
    The Frighteners [NR]
    U2: Rattle and Hum [PG-13]

    Category E
    Black Rain [R]
    Darkman [R]
    Troy [R]

    > If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
    > then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
    > some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
    > free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
    > actually paid you to buy it....

    That's Best Buy. What makes their offer of 2 extra HD DVDs so attractive is
    you can pick anything they have in stock.

    > Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

    And get a far better selection of movies in HD, not to mention a better
    player overall as the HD-A2 is a now discontinued low end model that doesn't
    even output 1080p.

    But a bargain is a bargain. No doubt about that. Doesn't sound like HD has
    much of a future if Microsoft/Toshiba are basically dumping players hoping
    to somehow recoup money on the strength of future disc sales. Problem is,
    there's not a whole helluva lot in the pipeline worth buying through early
    next year thus far on the release calender.

    T.B.

    T.B., Nov 3, 2007
  13. In article <472bf69e$0$24264$>,
    "T.B." <> wrote:

    > "Lloyd Parsons" wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >
    > > Let's see if I understand. You could buy a $99 HDDVD player that
    > > upconverts SD DVDs better than most upconverting SD players, and it
    > > plays real HiDef stuff too. And you get 5 free movies with it.

    > It's worth noting you don't get to pick any 5 movies, you're limited to a
    > selection of one each from the following catagories:
    >
    > Aeon Flux [PG-13]
    > Babel [R]
    > The Italian Job[PG-13]
    >
    > Category B
    > The Hulk [PG-13]
    > Pitch Black [NR]
    > The Thing [R]
    >
    > Category C
    > Charlie & The Choclate Factory [PG]
    > Swordfish [PG]
    > Full Metal Jacket (original release) [R]
    >
    > Category D
    > Firewall [PG-13]
    > The Frighteners [NR]
    > U2: Rattle and Hum [PG-13]
    >
    > Category E
    > Black Rain [R]
    > Darkman [R]
    > Troy [R]

    I wouldn't mind at least one of each of those categories, although they
    might not be the ones I would want first.

    > > If you bought those 5 movies at the cheapest price new I've seen ($15),
    > > then those are worth $75, so the player really is costing you $27. BUT,
    > > some stores that were selling the $99 players, were also giving away two
    > > free movies at time of purchase. If you bought there, then your player
    > > actually paid you to buy it....

    > That's Best Buy. What makes their offer of 2 extra HD DVDs so attractive is
    > you can pick anything they have in stock.
    >
    > > Of course, you could just spend $400 on a BD player...

    > And get a far better selection of movies in HD, not to mention a better
    > player overall as the HD-A2 is a now discontinued low end model that doesn't
    > even output 1080p.
    >
    > But a bargain is a bargain. No doubt about that. Doesn't sound like HD has
    > much of a future if Microsoft/Toshiba are basically dumping players hoping
    > to somehow recoup money on the strength of future disc sales. Problem is,
    > there's not a whole helluva lot in the pipeline worth buying through early
    > next year thus far on the release calender.
    >
    > T.B.

    Well, far better selection is of course an opinion. And the HDA2 does
    TrueHD which most BD players don't. As to the 1080i vs p, well I
    haven't seen anything that makes me want to buy a new set yet. My 61"
    JVC 1080i does a fine job.

    At $100 it is competitive with better upconverting SD players, and the 5
    free movies make it cheaper than almost all of the SD players out there.

    Lloyd Parsons, Nov 3, 2007
  14. On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    > Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    Has anyone tried this Toshiba HD-A2 player with DVD+R's? The box
    specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
    logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
    have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
    burner only supports plus+R format.

    Thanks,
    Chris

    satellite_chris, Nov 7, 2007
  15. Kuskokwim

    Kuskokwim Guest

    On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:40:30 -0000, satellite_chris wrote:

    > On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    >> Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    > Has anyone tried this Toshiba HD-A2 player with DVD+R's? The box
    > specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
    > logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
    > have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
    > burner only supports plus+R format.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    Chris,

    I just tried playing several DVD+Rs and they all work.

    For some reason they don't mention +Rs in the instruction manual, either.

    I'm going to use this player for HD-DVDs, only. For regular DVDs I will
    still use my old Panasonic S97 which has more convenience features.

    It was worth the $98.97 I spent if only for the increased picture quality
    of the HD-DVDs. I have a projector with a 92 inch screen.

    Kuskokwim, Nov 7, 2007
  16. On Nov 7, 9:34 am, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    > On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:40:30 -0000, satellite_chris wrote:
    > > On Nov 1, 6:10 pm, Kuskokwim <> wrote:
    > >> Friday at 8:00am:http://holiday.ri-walmart.com/?section=secret

    > > Has anyone tried thisToshibaHD-A2player with DVD+R's? The box
    > > specifically mentions DVD-R's but not not mention plus R's nor the +/-
    > > logo. I bought one but did not open it yet on account of this. I
    > > have many home videos converted to plus+R format and in fact my old
    > > burner only supports plus+R format.

    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris

    > Chris,
    >
    > I just tried playing several DVD+Rs and they all work.
    >
    > For some reason they don't mention +Rs in the instruction manual, either.
    >
    > I'm going to use this player for HD-DVDs, only. For regular DVDs I will
    > still use my old Panasonic S97 which has more convenience features.
    >
    > It was worth the $98.97 I spent if only for the increased picture quality
    > of the HD-DVDs. I have a projector with a 92 inch screen.

    Thank you VERY VERY much for actually testing a few DVD+R's. It was
    very nice to see someone go ought of their way to help a stranger.

    Regards,
    Chris

    satellite_chris, Nov 7, 2007