    Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
    one to work.
    WC

    WCH, Jun 5, 2005

  2. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
    > some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
    > number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
    > to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
    > I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
    > Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
    > countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
    > choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
    > Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
    > prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
    > country/region choices.
    > Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
    > one to work.
    > WC

    You may want to read this, making sure you have the correct drivers
    for Win98se. Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Jun 5, 2005

  3. WCH

    Old Gringo Guest

    WCH wrote:
    > I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
    > some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
    > number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
    > to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
    > I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
    > Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
    > countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
    > choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
    > Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
    > prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
    > country/region choices.
    > Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
    > one to work.
    > WC

    old fart forgot the link :)
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/hcf7.asp

    Old Gringo, Jun 5, 2005
  4. WCH

    Shep© Guest

    On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 11:39:35 -0400 If I have seen farther it is
    because I have stood on the shoulder of giants WCH
    <> wrote :

    >I'm rehabbing an older PC running 98SE. No problems except reinstalling
    >some sort of generic PCI winmodem with a Conexant chip. I got a model
    >number, got drivers, got it installed no problem. But every time I try
    >to use it, it pops up a dialog box and asks me to choose which region
    >I'll be using the modem in. EXCEPT THERE ARE NO REGIONS LISTED!!! I've
    >Googled the issue and know what I'm SUPPOSED to see, which is a list of
    >countries. I don't have that list. I have no options from which to
    >choose, just a big blank box, and so can't proceed. I went into Control
    >Panel and found a utility called "HCF modem region select", but it
    >prompts for the same information and it's blank too, offers no
    >country/region choices.
    >Fix? Workaround? No, I don't want to buy a new modem. Just want this
    >one to work.
    >WC

    HCF modems were not a,"Win Modem" nor a fully software modem.
    Anyway.

    Download a couple of free good reg cleaners,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html

    and get the right drivers for the modem,
    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/rockhcf.asp

    1:System off.
    2:pull modem out.
    3:Re-boot to Safemode
    4:Control panel/Add remove programs and remove any Modem/HCF software.
    Whilst in Safemode go to the Device Mangler and remove all instances
    of the modem including any virtual modem devices like Enumerators.
    5:Re-boot to normal windows and run the reg cleaners.

    Read here as well,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,