  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Just curious

    Richard, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Richard

    wesley Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:31:04 -0700, Richard wrote:

    > Just curious

    Probably nothing more complicated than that's how much people are willing
    to pay.

    I'm sure their financial gurus have put a certain amount of effort into
    projecting what price/volume mix produces the most profit for them. If
    sales meet their estimates, they'll keep that price. If sales are lower
    than expected, you'll probably see a more competitive pricing structure
    down the road.

    wesley, Jun 18, 2004

  3. Richard

    Justin Guest

    Richard wrote on [17 Jun 2004 16:31:04 -0700]:
    > Just curious

    Didn't you see the conspiracy post the other day?

    Justin, Jun 18, 2004
  4. Richard

    el stinky Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Just curious

    tell me about it. the 99dollar SRP for THE WIRE stinks. My uncle Tom
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0704017/ played mahoney on the show. I can't
    afford the stinkin season one box.

    --
    _________________________________
    Home of the Tiltwheel

    el stinky, Jun 18, 2004
  5. Richard

    zoltan47 Guest

    On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:28:55 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, wesley
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:31:04 -0700, Richard wrote:
    >>
    >> > Just curious

    >> Probably nothing more complicated than that's how much people are willing
    >> to pay.
    >>
    >> I'm sure their financial gurus have put a certain amount of effort into
    >> projecting what price/volume mix produces the most profit for them. If
    >> sales meet their estimates, they'll keep that price. If sales are lower
    >> than expected, you'll probably see a more competitive pricing structure
    >> down the road.
    >>

    >You're being punished for not subscribing to HBO. A show I can watch
    >for "free" on CBS is going to have to have a cheaper price for me to
    >buy it then a show I can ONLY watch by getting the DVD. If many people
    >decide it's cheaper to get HBO then to buy these dvd sets, then all the
    >better.

    But Star Trek was also for "free" (e.g., NG in syndication and DS9 on
    UPN). but those are more expensive the, oh say, the Buffy, the Vampire
    Slayer sets.

    zoltan47, Jun 18, 2004
  6. Richard

    wesley Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:02:13 +0000, zoltan47 wrote:

    > On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:28:55 -0400, Invid Fan <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>In article <>, wesley
    >><> wrote:

    >>> Probably nothing more complicated than that's how much people are
    >>> willing to pay.
    >>>
    >>> I'm sure their financial gurus have put a certain amount of effort
    >>> into projecting what price/volume mix produces the most profit for
    >>> them. If sales meet their estimates, they'll keep that price. If sales
    >>> are lower than expected, you'll probably see a more competitive
    >>> pricing structure down the road.
    >>>

    >>You're being punished for not subscribing to HBO. A show I can watch for
    >>"free" on CBS is going to have to have a cheaper price for me to buy it
    >>then a show I can ONLY watch by getting the DVD. If many people decide
    >>it's cheaper to get HBO then to buy these dvd sets, then all the better.

    > But Star Trek was also for "free" (e.g., NG in syndication and DS9 on
    > UPN). but those are more expensive the, oh say, the Buffy, the Vampire
    > Slayer sets.

    Again, we're back to the high business class, "Free Market Economics 101."
    I'm free to charge $1 or $100 for my $10 widgit and you're free to buy it
    or not buy it.

    To the extent the Star Trek and HBO people have correctly predicted the
    correct price point for their products, they'll sell a lot of DVDs and
    smile on their way to the bank.

    If they've guessed wrong, well, they're going to be stuck with a lot of
    excess inventory unless they cut their price to move it. (There is also a
    third possibility that they've grossly underestimated the consumer price
    and sell out too quickly, essentially leaving money on the table.)

    The consumer price for items such as DVDs and music CDs is not necessarily
    set by the production costs for any one item.

    wesley, Jun 19, 2004
  7. Richard

    Biz Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Just curious

    Much lower volume than most theatrical run movie dvds. Hence higher cost
    per unit. But you do have to remember that if say an HBO release is 127
    minutes for instance, and movie "X" was also 127 minutes, it still would
    have the same dvd production costs, giving it a much higher per unit cost.

    Biz, Jun 19, 2004