    I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
    picture setting.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message

    > I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    > picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >
    > http://www.posted-online.com/
    >
    > that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >
    > Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
    > kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
    > details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
    > angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....
    >
    > I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
    > picture setting.
    >
    > -Joel

    Nice capture Joel, well done. It must have flown very close to fill the
    frame with that lens.
    ATB
    Mick

    Mick Harris, Jan 5, 2007

  3. In article <s3znh.147$>,
    (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:

    > I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    > picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >
    > http://www.posted-online.com/
    >
    > that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >
    > Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
    > kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
    > details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
    > angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....
    >
    > I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
    > picture setting.
    >
    > -Joel

    Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove ;)
    A tad washed out.

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Jan 6, 2007
  4. >> I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    >> picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >>
    >> http://www.posted-online.com/
    >>
    >> that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >>

    >Nice capture Joel, well done. It must have flown very close to fill the
    >frame with that lens.

    Thbanks.

    The hawk did not fill the frame. The photo on-line is cropped to
    about the middle ninth of the full shot.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Jan 6, 2007
  5. >> I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    >> picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >>
    >> http://www.posted-online.com/
    >>
    >> that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >>
    >> Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
    >> kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
    >> details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
    >> angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....
    >>

    >Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove ;)
    >A tad washed out.

    I took the picture during a live raptor show at the Arizona-Sonora
    Desert Museum, a marvelous mostly outdoor museum that offers, among
    other things, a demonstration of raptor flight. The birds, though at
    least domesticated, fly around at full speed through the desert. (I
    was also lucky enough to see a wild red-tailed hawk and some deer
    while I was driving around Arizona.)

    The point of the photo has less to do with the nature of the bird than
    the impressive capabilities of the D30.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Jan 7, 2007
  6. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    >>> I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    >>> picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >>>
    >>> http://www.posted-online.com/
    >>>
    >>> that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >>>
    >>> Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
    >>> kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
    >>> details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
    >>> angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....
    >>>

    >>Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove ;)
    >>A tad washed out.

    > I took the picture during a live raptor show at the Arizona-Sonora
    > Desert Museum, a marvelous mostly outdoor museum that offers, among
    > other things, a demonstration of raptor flight. The birds, though at
    > least domesticated, fly around at full speed through the desert. (I
    > was also lucky enough to see a wild red-tailed hawk and some deer
    > while I was driving around Arizona.)
    >
    > The point of the photo has less to do with the nature of the bird than
    > the impressive capabilities of the D30.
    >
    > -Joel

    Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
    I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
    are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!
    I was offered a red-tailed hawk only a couple of weeks ago (to buy) but
    as much as I would have loved to have one, I just did not have the space or
    time
    to look after it properly.
    I did get a few pics of a red-tailed hawk aprox 10 yrs ago, as when I was
    out for a walk
    one day, I met someone who was flying one.
    Anyway, all the best, and good luck with your D30.
    Mick

    Mick Harris, Jan 7, 2007
  7. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Mick Harris Guest

    "Little Green Eyed Dragon" <> wrote in
    message
    > In article <s3znh.147$>,
    > (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman) wrote:
    >
    >> I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a
    >> picture of a hawk (look for the featured image):
    >>
    >> http://www.posted-online.com/
    >>
    >> that I particularly like, and that shows what the camera can do.
    >>
    >> Though the hawk was soaring through the desert, the camera's auto-focus
    >> kept the bird sharp, and the resolving power of the sensor shows the
    >> details of the bird's wings. You can almost imagine the bird has an
    >> angry look on its face. Or maybe it's just determination....
    >>
    >> I used the 17-85 USM IS lens, ASA 100 (I think), and the "standard"
    >> picture setting.
    >>
    >> -Joel

    > Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove ;)
    > A tad washed out.

    You should have called yourself "The Green Eyed Monster" ;-)

    Mick Harris, Jan 7, 2007
  8. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Mark² Guest

    Mick Harris wrote:
    > "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <> wrote in message

    >>> Soaring,....right more than likely just let off the keepers glove ;)
    >>> A tad washed out.

    >> I took the picture during a live raptor show at the Arizona-Sonora
    >> Desert Museum, a marvelous mostly outdoor museum that offers, among
    >> other things, a demonstration of raptor flight. The birds, though at
    >> least domesticated, fly around at full speed through the desert. (I
    >> was also lucky enough to see a wild red-tailed hawk and some deer
    >> while I was driving around Arizona.)
    >>
    >> The point of the photo has less to do with the nature of the bird
    >> than the impressive capabilities of the D30.
    >>
    >> -Joel
    >>

    > Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
    > I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
    > are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!

    Are you kidding? Sure it does.
    You are being told that in one minute, a raptor will fly to such and such a
    place.
    In nature, there is no such predictability.
    :)
    It's not a bad shot, but let's be honest about the difference between
    captive and wild.
    It ain't the same thing... :)

    > I was offered a red-tailed hawk only a couple of weeks ago (to buy)
    > but as much as I would have loved to have one, I just did not have the
    > space or time
    > to look after it properly.
    > I did get a few pics of a red-tailed hawk aprox 10 yrs ago, as when I
    > was out for a walk
    > one day, I met someone who was flying one.
    > Anyway, all the best, and good luck with your D30.
    > Mick

    Is that a D30 (year 2000) or a 30D (2006)?
    I'm assuming it's a new 30D.
    I had the D30 before it met this violent death off a cliff in Arches
    National Park...
    ....and I can assure you that its AF left much to be desired.
    (Even prior to the death plunge)
    ;)

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 8, 2007
  9. >>>>> I finally got a chance to experiment with my new 30D. Here's a

    >> Captive or not, it's still a good photo, (good detail & composition).
    >> I have taken a few photos at raptor shows etc, but just because they
    >> are captive doesn't make them any easier to capture in flight!

    >Are you kidding? Sure it does.

    My point in posting the picture was really just to show what the 30D
    can do. The fact that the bird was captive helped me find it, but it
    was still soaring pretty quickly (Birds do that!), and, actually,
    constantly readjusting its flight in the wind, too. The AF kept up,
    the 3/sec burst mode was helpful, and the 8Mpix was enough to produce
    the image. (Coming from slides, which effectively have some 10x as
    much resolution, I was concerned.) I'm pretty sure I set the exposure
    manually, though.

    And yes, I'm using the 30D, not the D30, though I can't for the life
    of my understand why Canon chose to release cameras with such similar
    names.

    -Joel

    Joel M. Hoffman, PhD
    http://www.exc.com/JoelHoffman

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Jan 8, 2007
  10. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Roberto Guest

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    > I'm pretty sure I set the exposure manually, though.
    >
    > And yes, I'm using the 30D ...

    You probably could confirm the exposure setting by looking at the exif
    data in the original image.

    I enjoyed the photo. The Arizona Desert Museum (near Tucson) is indeed
    an interesting place -- to visit and for photos. I was fortunate to
    experience one of their raptor free-fly demos in 2002. Here are some I
    took with a D60.

    www.shomler.com/other/raptors/

    That earlier 6MP Canon had pretty good capture abilty.

    -Bob Shomler

    Roberto, Jan 8, 2007
  11. >> http://www.posted-online.com [featured picture]

    >> [...]
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure I set the exposure manually, though.
    >>
    >> And yes, I'm using the 30D ...

    >You probably could confirm the exposure setting by looking at the exif
    >data in the original image.

    Ah, indeed. For those who have requested it, I've copied the original
    exif data to the file on http://www.posted-online.com .

    Some of the exif data is now wrong (because I cropped the image) but
    the exposure information is there.

    Enjoy.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Jan 9, 2007
  12. Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

    Steve Dell Guest

    I live in Tucson and have been to this wonderful museum many times. I always
    go to the raptor free-flight.

    They will go twice daily until April 16th.

    Steve Dell, Feb 10, 2007