having trouble with your PCI wireless card losing connection?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Rob D, Mar 1, 2005.

  1. Rob D

    Rob D Guest

    For what it's worth, I have finally cured my long-standing problem with
    unreliable connections regarding my USRobotics desktop PCI wireless card.
    Having tried just about everything imaginable, and while peering around the
    back of my case with a torch, it occurred to me that all the "spaghetti" of
    wiring (at least 15 different cables) emerging from the rear of my monster
    machine, might well be interfering with the signal.
    I bought an extension aerial (mini desktop type USRobotics
    http://www.stuff-uk.net/ ), threaded it onto the end of the card and hey
    presto! 90% signal. 95% quality (both figures in low 70's before) and much
    more importantly - not a droppped connection in 12 hours and connects
    immediately on start up.
    I'm sure at least some others who are having related problems could solve
    them by this method. The manufacturers are selling themselves short - they
    dwell on the fact that under "average conditions you should see about a 15%
    increase in range and quality of signal" - no mention of the fact that this
    little baby will lift your signal collecting capability way above a lot of
    sources of interference - i.e. USB2, firewire, power, audio cables etc. etc.

    Rob
    Rob D, Mar 1, 2005

  2. Hi. Do you have a link for the extension aerial you're referring to?
    =?Utf-8?B?aGNhYmFyY2Fz?=, Mar 3, 2005