Having trouble getting new sound card to work - had onboard sound

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Dora Smith, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Dora Smith

    Dora Smith Guest

    I just installed a new sound blaster card. I can play system sounds, but
    otherwise I have no sound. My desktop speakers are plugged into jacks on
    the back of the card, and I tried more than one plug. All diagnostics and
    checking the device managers (system device and sound devices, sound card)
    show all drivers installed and the card and the drivers fully functional,
    the former onboard sound disabled, and the new card in charge of everything
    it is supposed to be. The soundblaster's own diagnostic program also found
    had everything test out fine. But there are signs of something wrong.

    I put screenshots of all my diagnostics in a WORD document at
    http://www.geocities.com/tiggernut24/sndblaster.doc.

    The two things I see wrong are that in the main soundblaster window it shows
    little red x's over the main sound control, the line in, and one of the
    sound formats. The documentation provides no clue anywhere what that
    means.

    In the detailed system information you can get teh diagnostic program to
    display, under Creative System Information, Devices, it says "hardware
    disabled". Everywhere else it shows the hardware enabled. What is going
    on?

    It is not clear what I was supposed to do to disable the onboard sound.
    My computer manufacturer support said no need to do anything it will turn
    itself off when you install the new software. In system devices I find
    the onboard support disabled. In Bios I found only a place for "sound
    support enabled" or "Sound support disabled"; it provides no clue whether
    that is the onboard sound support or any and all sound support. It was
    enabled; I disabled it and rebooted adn this resulted in no change. Then I
    enabled it again. Still no change.

    The documentationm for the card says you have to select specific sound
    sources to play your sound and provides no further clue WHAT they are
    talking about. It appears you have to select, for instance, each tiem you
    play something, whether you want MIDI or Wave ? In the forum it appears
    you have to select each time you boot the computer whether the sound is
    digital! The soundmax soudn card in my brother's old computer was never
    this hard, and if the sound I get from all this is not in fact worth it I am
    going to trash the thing and go back to onboard support. (I did this
    because the sound on my computer is noway near as good as on my brother's
    old computer, and that is partly because no bass control or sound balance!)

    I tried "selecting" the master control and teh midi whatever, and that made
    no difference in the little red cross marks nor in my ability to play sound
    files in Real Player.

    Actually I think the little red cross marks are buttons to click on for
    advanced features -
    since if you click on them you get advanced features, and the other controls
    don't have a place in the same location where you click and get advanced
    features.

    I tried both disabling "sound support" in bios - which caused system sounds
    to know longer play on my computer, despite the fact that the speakers
    are hooked directly to the cards and there is no other speaker - and
    deleting
    all SoundMax drivers and unintalling SoundMax. That did not leave me able
    play any sort of sound on my computer.

    I downloaded and installed the latest version of my drivers and program from
    Creative Whoever. That didn't help either.

    The documentation says you have to select whether or not you are playing
    from a digital source, and they really don't tell you HOW to know if you are
    playing from a digital source. I have ordinary garden variety $10 desktop
    speakers, and I was playing from Realplayer, and when are electronic signals
    from these music file formats not digital? I've tried having the digital
    only box both checked and unchecked, adn it made no difference in my ability
    to play sound files.

    You also have to tell it the layout of your speakers! Why in Jesus Christ.
    I have no clue. You guessed it; they don`t say WHAT they are talking
    about! I've tried both 2/2.2 and "headphones" - and it didn`t play either
    way. I have to speakers, set up in series, plugged into a single plug.
    The sound device thing suggests my computer atleast has it correctly figured
    out - they told me I have a pair of desktop speakers. I sure don't have
    three speakers, seven speakers, five speakers arranged carefully in a
    pentagon, or any of that.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Yours,
    Dora Smith
    Austin, TX
    Dora Smith, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Dora Smith

    Brian Guest

    Uninstall the soundblaster card (drivers and software)
    Restart the system and disable the onboard sound in BIOS
    When you restart the computer should detect the soundblaster, cancel that
    setup and reinstall the card with the included driver disk/CD
    There is an option for the soundblaster for the type of speakers you have
    connected (digital/analog). Make sure you have the correct ones selected and
    in the correct jacks. Green is analog, black is digital on most soundblaster
    cards. Most speakers are also color coded to match the jacks, check your
    documentation on those
    Brian, Nov 23, 2006