Having Problems, Possible Motherboard Trouble. Please Help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pete Holland Jr., Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Hey, everybody. I have a real poser, and some general recommendation
    questions.

    Recently, I got a brand new hard drive for my computer. The old one was
    physically breaking down, so I purchased a new 40G to act as the boot
    drive, leaving my 200G as a slave to hold data (I do a lot of desktop
    video). With the old drive, everything was fine. Not anymore.

    I am using an ATI All In Wonder 8500DV video card to capture. I can
    capture four or five video clips without a hitch. Then, when it
    captures, it puts huge blocks of green in the frame, stretching from the
    left side of the screen to the right, sometimes taking up the whole
    frame, sometimes just portions. I reload the drivers for the ATI, and
    it works fine for a few tries, then it happens again. This is
    definitely not a problem with the software. When I capture footage
    using my Ulead program, it does the same thing. When just watching TV
    through the composites, it shows up fine on the screen. It only puts
    the green in the resulting capture files, no matter what capture
    software I use.

    I called ATI, and they said it sounded like the motherboard driver
    needed to be reinstalled. I tried using what I thought was the
    motherboard driver, but the problem didn't go away. I tried to contact
    BIOSTAR, and it's like their main site forgot my board exists. The only
    way I found things for it was through a Yahoo search that turned up a
    page at their site, the site's own search engine said it had nothing.

    While searching, I came across this thing called esupport.com. They
    have a BIOS Agent that will tell you everything, then you contact them
    and they set you up with the updated drivers you need. There was a
    similar tool on the Motherboards.org site. So now, the questions:

    1) This first question could be negated by the response to #2 below,
    but just in case: the ATI site mentioned IRQ, or Interupt Requests. It
    said problems can arise if too many items have the same IRQ number. I
    have three spots with more than one item on that number. Each of them
    starts with "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering". The others are:

    DSI WDM MODEM ENUMERATOR
    VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller (this is listed twice)

    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

    PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    All In Wonder Raedeon 8500DV

    Do I need to reassign some of these numbers, and if so, how? I went to
    the CMOS on the start-up screen like the ATI site said, but it doesn't
    mention how to change the numbers, and I don't want to unless I'm sure I
    can undo mistakes.

    2) Do esupport.com charge for these updated BIOS' and such? If so, how
    much? Do they plant spyware on the computer? Are the tools I mentioned
    above worth it, or are they a problem? Anyone have any problems with them?

    3) Has BIOSTAR stopped supporting my motherboard, and if so, where else
    can I find drivers? The sites I found searching Yahoo just directed me
    back to BIOSTAR's main page.

    Sincerely,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Dec 11, 2003

  2. Hey, everybody!

    Before I forget, the Belarc Advisor says my motherboard is a Biostar
    M7MKE, but the start-up screen lists it as MKE0615F

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Dec 11, 2003

  3. Pete Holland Jr.

    IC Guest

    Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
    > Hey, everybody. I have a real poser, and some general recommendation
    > questions.
    >
    > Recently, I got a brand new hard drive for my computer. The old one
    > was physically breaking down, so I purchased a new 40G to act as the
    > boot drive, leaving my 200G as a slave to hold data (I do a lot of
    > desktop video). With the old drive, everything was fine. Not
    > anymore.
    >
    > I am using an ATI All In Wonder 8500DV video card to capture. I can
    > capture four or five video clips without a hitch. Then, when it
    > captures, it puts huge blocks of green in the frame, stretching from
    > the left side of the screen to the right, sometimes taking up the
    > whole
    > frame, sometimes just portions. I reload the drivers for the ATI, and
    > it works fine for a few tries, then it happens again. This is
    > definitely not a problem with the software. When I capture footage
    > using my Ulead program, it does the same thing. When just watching TV
    > through the composites, it shows up fine on the screen. It only puts
    > the green in the resulting capture files, no matter what capture
    > software I use.
    >
    > I called ATI, and they said it sounded like the motherboard driver
    > needed to be reinstalled. I tried using what I thought was the
    > motherboard driver, but the problem didn't go away. I tried to
    > contact BIOSTAR, and it's like their main site forgot my board
    > exists. The only way I found things for it was through a Yahoo
    > search that turned up a
    > page at their site, the site's own search engine said it had nothing.
    >
    > While searching, I came across this thing called esupport.com. They
    > have a BIOS Agent that will tell you everything, then you contact them
    > and they set you up with the updated drivers you need. There was a
    > similar tool on the Motherboards.org site. So now, the questions:
    >
    > 1) This first question could be negated by the response to #2 below,
    > but just in case: the ATI site mentioned IRQ, or Interupt Requests.
    > It said problems can arise if too many items have the same IRQ
    > number. I have three spots with more than one item on that number.
    > Each of them starts with "ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering". The
    > others are:

    > DSI WDM MODEM ENUMERATOR
    > VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller (this is listed
    > twice)

    > VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

    > PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    > All In Wonder Raedeon 8500DV

    It looks like the video card and the 1394 fire wire controller are using
    the same IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest).
    You must have a PCI card for the 1394; uninstall it in Windows, then
    move it to another PCI slot. Reinstall drivers. That should move the
    IRQ.

    > Do I need to reassign some of these numbers, and if so, how? I went
    > to the CMOS on the start-up screen like the ATI site said, but it
    > doesn't mention how to change the numbers, and I don't want to unless
    > I'm sure I can undo mistakes.
    >
    > 2) Do esupport.com charge for these updated BIOS' and such? If so,
    > how much? Do they plant spyware on the computer? Are the tools I
    > mentioned above worth it, or are they a problem? Anyone have any
    > problems with them?
    >
    > 3) Has BIOSTAR stopped supporting my motherboard, and if so, where
    > else can I find drivers? The sites I found searching Yahoo just
    > directed me back to BIOSTAR's main page.

    It looks as if it has dropped support. Went to their site and that MB
    is not listed anywhere.

    IC, Dec 11, 2003
  4. Pete Holland Jr.

    IC Guest

    IC, Dec 11, 2003
  5. Hey, IC!

    > It looks like the video card and the 1394 fire wire controller are using
    > the same IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest).
    > You must have a PCI card for the 1394; uninstall it in Windows, then
    > move it to another PCI slot. Reinstall drivers. That should move the
    > IRQ.

    Forgive me for asking these questions. I'm not afraid to get my hands
    dirty, but I am still learning about computers.

    The HD in question was a Western Digital. It came with another PCI card
    and cable to attach the drive to. I kept the board but never installed
    it. The only card attached in there is my modem card, all other PCI
    slots are open.

    I bring this up because the drive came with a disc of data tools, and it
    was recommended I install it. (On the CMOS screen, my 200G hard drive
    is read at 136, but in Windows it sees the full ammount.) Could this be
    the cause of the problem? If there is nothing in Add/Remove Programs to
    remove the Western Digital tools, should I just reformat the C: drive?
    I chose a 40G specifically so that, should I need to do it, it won't
    take long. Any data has been backed up on the D: drive, so all I'd have
    to do is reinstall the drivers and five programs. Does this sound workable?

    > It looks as if it has dropped support. Went to their site and that MB
    > is not listed anywhere.

    Man, what a shame. I mean, how much memory does it take to store those
    drivers?

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Dec 11, 2003
  6. Pete Holland Jr.

    IC Guest

    Pete Holland Jr. wrote:
    > Hey, IC!
    >
    >> It looks like the video card and the 1394 fire wire controller are
    >> using the same IRQ (Interrupt ReQuest).
    >> You must have a PCI card for the 1394; uninstall it in Windows, then
    >> move it to another PCI slot. Reinstall drivers. That should move
    >> the IRQ.

    > Forgive me for asking these questions. I'm not afraid to get my hands
    > dirty, but I am still learning about computers.
    >
    > The HD in question was a Western Digital. It came with another PCI
    > card and cable to attach the drive to. I kept the board but never
    > installed
    > it. The only card attached in there is my modem card, all other PCI
    > slots are open.
    >
    > I bring this up because the drive came with a disc of data tools, and
    > it was recommended I install it. (On the CMOS screen, my 200G hard
    > drive
    > is read at 136, but in Windows it sees the full ammount.) Could this
    > be the cause of the problem? If there is nothing in Add/Remove
    > Programs to remove the Western Digital tools, should I just reformat
    > the C: drive?
    > I chose a 40G specifically so that, should I need to do it, it won't
    > take long. Any data has been backed up on the D: drive, so all I'd
    > have
    > to do is reinstall the drivers and five programs. Does this sound
    > workable?
    >

    >> It looks as if it has dropped support. Went to their site and that
    >> MB is not listed anywhere.

    > Man, what a shame. I mean, how much memory does it take to store
    > those drivers?
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    Ok. The BIOS can only "see" a drive up to 137 MB. That's why it comes
    up with that amount.

    On to the rest. The IRQ for PCI steering is normal; ignore those.
    You have listed:

    PCI OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    All In Wonder Raedeon 8500DV

    It just hit me. The card has a fire wire (1394) port on it, which is
    why it has the same IRQ.
    Well, since you are not sharing IRQ's, that's not the problem and it's
    probably just a software (video driver) problem
    Probably the best thing to do would be to do a fresh install of the
    system and use the Catalyst 3.9 driver from ATI.

    IC, Dec 11, 2003
  7. Hey, IC!

    > Ok. The BIOS can only "see" a drive up to 137 MB. That's why it comes
    > up with that amount.

    Oh, yes. I hope I don't sound insulting, but I knew about that. The
    reason I mention it is because my WinME setup saw that it was 200G
    before I ever added the data tools. The only reason I wanted to add the
    data tools was to make sure the drive was seen as 200G. I'm just
    wondering if I should have bothered, if adding that stuff just resulted
    in more confusion.

    I'd rather give too much information about my set-up instead of too
    little. Nothing discourages advice like making people think it'd take
    the Spanish Inquisition to get some rudimentary facts. (And yes, I
    tossed that line in just for my fellow Pythonites. ;-) )

    Dobre utka,
    Pete Holland Jr.

    Pete Holland Jr., Dec 11, 2003
  8. Pete Holland Jr.

    Scrote Guest

    Snip

    > I'd rather give too much information about my set-up instead of too
    > little. Nothing discourages advice like making people think it'd take
    > the Spanish Inquisition to get some rudimentary facts. (And yes, I
    > tossed that line in just for my fellow Pythonites. ;-) )
    >
    > Dobre utka,
    > Pete Holland Jr.

    Whoosh....A Ha....Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.......

    Scrote, Dec 11, 2003