    with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.

    I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    profile but I'm probably wrong.

    Mrs BeebleBrock, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Mrs BeebleBrock

    XPD Guest

    "Mrs BeebleBrock" <> wrote in message
    news:4n3Qf.5201$...
    >A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
    >office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
    >remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations with
    >management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
    >
    > I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    > profile but I'm probably wrong.

    Is the office using an Exchange server or just usual POP3 ? (ie: via Xtra,
    IHUG, Orcon or whoever)
    If using Exchange, then the admins can pretty much do what they want with
    your mail, so it is possible someone else is getting the same email.
    Altho, the same can be said with any mail server run "in-house" rather than
    an external provider.

    XPD, Mar 10, 2006

  3. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Daniel Guest

    Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    > A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
    > office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
    > remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
    > with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
    >
    > I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    > profile but I'm probably wrong.

    If your office firewall isn't blocking port 25 to the outside world,
    then he could just use a different SMTP server to deliver his emails.

    Although, it would mean emails within the office may not be as quick to
    deliver.

    Daniel, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:

    > A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
    > office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
    > remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
    > with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
    >
    > I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    > profile but I'm probably wrong.

    Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
    conversations?

    Mrs BeebleBrock, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Alan Guest

    > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >
    >> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in
    >> the office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be
    >> set up remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several
    >> conversations with management that indicate they are reading his in
    >> and out mail.
    >>
    >> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within
    >> his profile but I'm probably wrong.

    > Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
    > conversations?

    I am guessing that you are not the network administrator, and you
    don't want to openly ask them yourself?

    The short answer to your question is that, potentially, anything you
    do using your employers property (the computer systems) could be
    intercepted or monitored.

    If your colleague doesn't want someone to read something they have
    only one real option - don't use your employers systems to send /
    receive those messages

    Our company policy is very simple: Anything sent to or from our
    business systems may be read by someone else. If we don't want
    something to be read by another person, we use a personal system from
    home.

    We actually go further and have a policy that at least two people
    always have access to every inbox (in addition to the network admin
    who can give themselves access anytime of course). This means that if
    someone goes home sick suddenly and a customer emails them urgently, a
    colleague or manager can deal with it - just exactly the way a phone
    call, fax, or letter would be.

    Reality of course is that it is not likely that anyone would read
    emails or check webmail traffic unless they had reason to believe that
    it was being used in a way that could be prejudicial to the business
    since they probably have better things to do.

    HTH,

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Allistar Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
    >> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
    >> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
    >> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
    >>
    >> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    >> profile but I'm probably wrong.

    > If your office firewall isn't blocking port 25 to the outside world,
    > then he could just use a different SMTP server to deliver his emails.
    >
    > Although, it would mean emails within the office may not be as quick to
    > deliver.

    And if they block 25 and not 22, you could port forward through an ssh
    tunnel to a different computer.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Nova Guest

    Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    >
    >> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in the
    >> office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be set up
    >> remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several conversations
    >> with management that indicate they are reading his in and out mail.
    >>
    >> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within his
    >> profile but I'm probably wrong.

    > Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
    > conversations?

    If you are using their network, they can read anything, all the traffic
    goes through their machines..

    There are even programs out there that make this very easy for them that
    can listen to packets on the network and save msn conversations, save
    emails etc etc etc.

    Always assume you are being watched :).

    If your colleague really wants privacy he should wait until he gets
    home, or stick to webmail sites that use https. Or he could use an
    email server that is not within the business network that supports
    tls/ssl so they can't read his messages.

    Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
    are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
    to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

    Nova, Mar 10, 2006
  8. T'was the Fri, 10 Mar 2006 17:01:47 +1300 when I remembered Nova
    <> saying something like this:

    >Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
    >are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
    >to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

    It wouldn't surprise me. I guess regular auditing can help deal with
    that risk.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Mrs BeebleBrock

    RJ Guest

    In article <lx4Qf.5211$>,
    says...

    > "Mrs BeebleBrock" <> wrote in message
    > > Mrs BeebleBrock wrote:
    > >
    > >> A colleague thinks his emails are being copied to someone else in
    > >> the office. Our office email system is Outlook 2003. Could this be
    > >> set up remotely without him being aware of it? He's had several
    > >> conversations with management that indicate they are reading his in
    > >> and out mail.
    > >>
    > >> I though that any rules on messages would be visible from within
    > >> his profile but I'm probably wrong.

    > > Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
    > > conversations?
    > >

    > I am guessing that you are not the network administrator, and you
    > don't want to openly ask them yourself?
    >
    > The short answer to your question is that, potentially, anything you
    > do using your employers property (the computer systems) could be
    > intercepted or monitored.
    >
    > If your colleague doesn't want someone to read something they have
    > only one real option - don't use your employers systems to send /
    > receive those messages

    or use secure webmail.

    RJ, Mar 10, 2006
  10. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Richard Guest

    > Always assume you are being watched :).
    >
    > If your colleague really wants privacy he should wait until he gets
    > home, or stick to webmail sites that use https. Or he could use an
    > email server that is not within the business network that supports
    > tls/ssl so they can't read his messages.
    >
    > Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
    > are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
    > to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

    Untill its shown on the screen of the office pc, where someone could be looking
    in unannounced with any number of employee auditing packages.

    Richard, Mar 10, 2006
  11. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Nova Guest

    Richard wrote:
    >> Always assume you are being watched :).
    >>
    >> If your colleague really wants privacy he should wait until he gets
    >> home, or stick to webmail sites that use https. Or he could use an
    >> email server that is not within the business network that supports
    >> tls/ssl so they can't read his messages.
    >>
    >> Remember people are pretty nosey/curious by nature and I am sure there
    >> are plenty of people out there that misuse their access to the network
    >> to listen in on peoples conversations and read peoples emails.

    > Untill its shown on the screen of the office pc, where someone could be
    > looking in unannounced with any number of employee auditing packages.

    Yep, I am sure they are misused also.

    Nova, Mar 10, 2006
  12. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Richard Guest

    Nova wrote:

    >> Untill its shown on the screen of the office pc, where someone could
    >> be looking in unannounced with any number of employee auditing packages.

    > Yep, I am sure they are misused also.

    Dont see how a company can misuse it unless they require people install it on
    there own computer if they choose to work from home.

    Thats the reason that one place I know of only allows remote working via
    terminal server, to protect the privacy of the staffs own computers.

    Richard, Mar 11, 2006
  13. Mrs BeebleBrock

    David Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >>> Untill its shown on the screen of the office pc, where someone could
    >>> be looking in unannounced with any number of employee auditing packages.

    >> Yep, I am sure they are misused also.

    > Dont see how a company can misuse it unless they require people install
    > it on there own computer if they choose to work from home.
    >
    > Thats the reason that one place I know of only allows remote working via
    > terminal server, to protect the privacy of the staffs own computers.

    Is that really practical on Telecom DSL?

    David, Mar 12, 2006
  14. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Alan Guest

    "RJ" <> wrote in message
    > In article <lx4Qf.5211$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Mrs BeebleBrock" <> wrote in message

    >> > Thanks - would they also be able to read our Gmail, Hotmail, etc
    >> > conversations?
    >> >

    >> I am guessing that you are not the network administrator, and you
    >> don't want to openly ask them yourself?
    >>
    >> The short answer to your question is that, potentially, anything
    >> you
    >> do using your employers property (the computer systems) could be
    >> intercepted or monitored.
    >>
    >> If your colleague doesn't want someone to read something they have
    >> only one real option - don't use your employers systems to send /
    >> receive those messages

    > or use secure webmail.

    How will that help if they are monitoring your session remotely?

    I would have thought that once the traffic is decrypted to display on
    the screen, anything and everything can be monitored?

    Alan, Mar 13, 2006
  15. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Alan Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    > Richard wrote:

    >>> Yep, I am sure they are misused also.

    >> Dont see how a company can misuse it unless they require people
    >> install it on there own computer if they choose to work from home.
    >>
    >> Thats the reason that one place I know of only allows remote
    >> working via terminal server, to protect the privacy of the staffs
    >> own computers.

    > Is that really practical on Telecom DSL?

    That's exactly what we do, and it works okay even on dialup using a
    VPN and Remote Desktop.

    On any "broadband" (128 upload +) it is fine.

    Alan, Mar 13, 2006
  16. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Allistar Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Richard wrote:

    >>> Dont see how a company can misuse it unless they require people
    >>> install it on there own computer if they choose to work from home.
    >>>
    >>> Thats the reason that one place I know of only allows remote
    >>> working via terminal server, to protect the privacy of the staffs
    >>> own computers.

    >> Is that really practical on Telecom DSL?

    > That's exactly what we do, and it works okay even on dialup using a
    > VPN and Remote Desktop.
    >
    > On any "broadband" (128 upload +) it is fine.

    It seems Telecom's propaganda machine is working if people think 128kb/s up
    is broadband. It's not.

    > Alan.

    Allstar.

    Allistar, Mar 13, 2006
  17. Mrs BeebleBrock

    Alan Guest

    "Allistar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Alan wrote:
    >

    >> "David" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is that really practical on Telecom DSL?

    >> That's exactly what we do, and it works okay even on dialup using a
    >> VPN and Remote Desktop.
    >>
    >> On any "broadband" (128 upload +) it is fine.

    > It seems Telecom's propaganda machine is working if people think
    > 128kb/s up
    > is broadband. It's not.
    >
    >> Alan.

    > Allstar.

    Hi "Allstar",

    Just out of interest, what was your interpretation of the quotes
    around the word 'broadband'?

    I ask purely so as to improve my communication skills.

    Thanks,

    Alan, Mar 14, 2006