    license.

    Seems that SCO is having problems with the Big boys like IBM so is picking
    on some one that just does not have the clout or money to defend himself..
    Robert Kramer, Aug 21, 2003

  2. Robert   Kramer

    Howard Guest

    Robert Kramer wrote:
    > This looks interesting

    > SCO Pulling An RIAA?
    > Is SCO doing the same thing the RIAA did and pursuing the end user?
    > According to this article SCO may be doing just that. Holy cow this
    > just keeps getting weirder and weirder.
    >

    > SCO Group Inc is preparing to take a Linux user to court to speed up
    > the legal process in its claim Unix code has been illegally copied
    > into Linux, and also encourage Linux users to take out a license for
    > its intellectual property. The company has signed one large customer
    > up to its Intellectual Property License for Linux, but faces
    > opposition from many more who believe SCO must prove its claims in a
    > court of law before they will hand over the $700 per CPU for the
    > license.
    >

    > Seems that SCO is having problems with the Big boys like IBM so is
    > picking on some one that just does not have the clout or money to
    > defend himself..

    I dont think I'd like the RIAA (or its kiwi equivalent) to come after me for
    mps sharing, as I might well lose.

    But I'd love for SCO to try to ping me for my linux box, because
    a) I'd win
    b) it'll end the stupidness earlier &
    c) I'd be famous (if I was the first!).
    Howard, Aug 21, 2003

  3. Robert   Kramer

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:55:13 +1200, Robert Kramer wrote:

    > SCO Pulling An RIAA?
    > Is SCO doing the same thing the RIAA did and pursuing the end user? According
    > to this article SCO may be doing just that. Holy cow this just keeps getting
    > weirder and weirder.

    Let's weed out the lies first.

    RIAA have taken action against people who are enabling others to enjoy
    music without paying for it. Format shifting has long been tolerated (eg
    dubbing vinyl records to cassette for listening in cars), but wholesale
    piracy is another thing.

    SCO's case is nothing like that of the RIAA.

    One one hand, SCO allege that their code was pirated into the Linux 2.4
    kernel.

    But on the other hand:
    1) They won't allow anybody to inspect details of the allegations, unless
    such person signs a document which places them under so many legal
    obligations that for most, it would permanently maim their career in IT

    2) SCO published its own version of Linux, containing the allegedly
    infringing code. In this act of publishing, SCO came under the purview of
    the GNU General Public License, which guarantees the right of users to
    possess, use, view, modify and redistribute source code.

    So if SCO has any IP ownership of code in Linux 2.4 kernel, they have
    already infected this IP with the GPL.

    This is why they are now wanting to put the GPL itself on trial, and are
    taking the bizarre stance that normal copyright law makes the GPL illegal.
    Getting an anti-GPL ruling would be about as easy as stopping all people
    from 13-25 from having sex.

    In fact, there are those who are analysing the possibility of filing
    criminal charges against SCO executives.

    So please don't persist with lies.

    EB
    Evil Bastard, Aug 21, 2003
  4. Robert   Kramer

    KS Guest

    > So please don't persist with lies.

    Don't worry, it's just another Woger post, with his new name.
    KS, Aug 21, 2003
  5. Robert   Kramer

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:08:15 +1200, Evil Bastard wrote:

    > Sheesh - is he on the payroll as the resident Microsoft NZ village idiot?

    Nope, he's a freelance equal opportunity idiot.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Aug 21, 2003
  6. Robert Kramer allegedly said:

    > This looks interesting
    >
    > SCO Pulling An RIAA?
    > Is SCO doing the same thing the RIAA did and pursuing the end user?
    > According to this article SCO may be doing just that. Holy cow this just
    > keeps getting weirder and weirder.
    >
    > SCO Group Inc is preparing to take a Linux user to court to speed up the
    > legal process in its claim Unix code has been illegally copied into Linux,
    > and also encourage Linux users to take out a license for its intellectual
    > property. The company has signed one large customer up to its Intellectual
    > Property License for Linux, but faces opposition from many more who
    > believe SCO must prove its claims in a court of law before they will hand
    > over the $700 per CPU for the license.
    >
    > Seems that SCO is having problems with the Big boys like IBM so is
    > picking on some one that just does not have the clout or money to defend
    > himself..

    I'd contribute serious cash to the legal defence fund of any Kiwi subjected
    to this sort of extortion attempt.

    SCO don't have a case.

    That's why they are afraid to go to into any court that wants to hear it.

    They are avoiding the discovery phase of their suit with IBM becasue it
    means they would have to put up or shut up.
    Antoine Arnauld, Aug 21, 2003
  7. Robert   Kramer

    M Guest

    "Invisible" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:25:00 +1200, "KS" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Not sure if MS are that happy with the troll promoting their product !!
    > >Gates might send out a hit squad.

    > I'd chip in :)

    I've been toying with the idea of offering a $100 bounty to the first person
    to clobber his letterbox with a home built cruise missile ... perhaps $1k if
    they miss ... but there's no point, it seems Microsoft have him profiled
    already : http://news.com.com/2008-1082_3-5065298.html
    M, Aug 21, 2003
  8. Robert   Kramer

    Gib Bogle Guest

    KS wrote:

    >>So please don't persist with lies.

    > Don't worry, it's just another Woger post, with his new name.

    Yeah, Woger thinks the OS is called Lunix. He is unteachable.

    Gib
    Gib Bogle, Aug 21, 2003
  9. Robert   Kramer

    lily Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > KS wrote:
    >
    > >>So please don't persist with lies.

    > > Don't worry, it's just another Woger post, with his new name.

    > Yeah, Woger thinks the OS is called Lunix. He is unteachable.

    There is an OS called Lunix FWIW
    Its Linux for C64s
    http://lng.sourceforge.net/
    lily, Aug 21, 2003
  10. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:00:21 +1200, "lily" <> wrote:

    >"Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message

    >> > Don't worry, it's just another Woger post, with his new name.

    >> Yeah, Woger thinks the OS is called Lunix. He is unteachable.
    >>

    >There is an OS called Lunix FWIW
    >Its Linux for C64s
    >http://lng.sourceforge.net/

    Yes Lunix for Lunies, only Lunatic use it..

    I am glad I have been proven sane..
    Robert Kramer, Aug 21, 2003
  11. Robert   Kramer

    KS Guest

    KS, Aug 21, 2003
  12. Robert   Kramer

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:21:48 +1200, Robert Kramer wrote:

    > Yes Lunix for Lunies, only Lunatic use it..
    >
    > I am glad I have been proven sane..

    Reminds me of 'So long and thanks for all the fish', where Wonko the Sane
    builds his house inside out and calls the inside 'Outside the asylum'.

    Then again Wonko probably right.

    Were you left any glass bowls by dolphins Woger?
    AD., Aug 22, 2003
  13. Robert Kramer wrote:

    > SCO Group Inc is preparing to take a Linux user to court to speed up the
    > legal process in its claim Unix code has been illegally copied into Linux,
    > and also encourage Linux users to take out a license for its intellectual
    > property. The company has signed one large customer up to its Intellectual
    > Property License for Linux, but faces opposition from many more who
    > believe SCO must prove its claims in a court of law before they will hand
    > over the $700 per CPU for the license.

    If you are a Linux user who would like to be involved in some kind of
    defence against SCO actions I would like to hear from you. Ideally I would
    like to hear from people with considerable investment - ie businesses
    either running Linux throughout (ISP's?) or businesses who rely on open
    source and Linux.

    peterha at nzoss dot org dot nz

    --
    Peter Harrison