    Christmas is only (YIKES!) 10 days away. Have you been naughty or nice

    this year? And what do you hope will be under your tree?

    Mr. Divs knows that it's never too late to try to influence Santa:

    Annika1980, Dec 15, 2006

  2. Arnor Baldvinsson, Dec 15, 2006

  3. Annika1980

    Rick Sciacca Guest

    Rick Sciacca, Dec 15, 2006
  4. "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hard to believe that the Holiday Season is already upon us and
    > Christmas is only (YIKES!) 10 days away.

    Here's a suggestion. Make a list for people you need to buy for. Rip up the
    list you scribbled for yourself.

    mark_digital©, Dec 15, 2006
  5. Annika1980

    Cynicor Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >> Hard to believe that the Holiday Season is already upon us and
    >> Christmas is only (YIKES!) 10 days away.

    > Here's a suggestion. Make a list for people you need to buy for. Rip up the
    > list you scribbled for yourself.

    ??? But then how do you know who to punish all year when they don't get
    you the right thing?

    Cynicor, Dec 15, 2006
  6. "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > mark_digital© wrote:
    >> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hard to believe that the Holiday Season is already upon us and
    >>> Christmas is only (YIKES!) 10 days away.

    >> Here's a suggestion. Make a list for people you need to buy for. Rip up
    >> the list you scribbled for yourself.

    > ??? But then how do you know who to punish all year when they don't get
    > you the right thing?

    I dunno. I've been told I'm hard to shop for and I reply Xmas is for
    children. Don't worry about it. It works for me.

    mark_digital©, Dec 15, 2006
  7. Annika1980

    Cynicor Guest

    mark_digital© wrote:
    > "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    >> mark_digital© wrote:
    >>> "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    >>> Here's a suggestion. Make a list for people you need to buy for. Rip up
    >>> the list you scribbled for yourself.

    >> ??? But then how do you know who to punish all year when they don't get
    >> you the right thing?

    > I dunno. I've been told I'm hard to shop for and I reply Xmas is for
    > children. Don't worry about it. It works for me.

    Sounds like you have two solutions here. B&H gift certificates and
    boarding school!

    Cynicor, Dec 15, 2006

    >>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/71681800/original

    >> Cute:) Our cat disappears every time I turn on the camera!

    > I like this one better:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/69564745
    >
    > Nice job with PS

    I saw a tutorial on just that a while back.

    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68991359 ----- question for Brett on
    this one: What is the line of rock rubble in the foreground?

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 16, 2006
  9. Annika1980

    Annika1980 Guest

    John McWilliams wrote:

    > http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68991359 ----- question for Brett on
    > this one: What is the line of rock rubble in the foreground?

    Riprap.

    On top of Raccoon Mountain is a manmade reservoir. The narrow road
    that circles the reservoir has riprap on both sides. On one side you
    have a lake, on the other a cliff that drops down into the Tennessee
    River Gorge. The riprap is just a bunch of large rocks that holds
    everything in place.

    Annika1980, Dec 16, 2006
  10. Annika1980

    JC Dill Guest

    On 15 Dec 2006 22:10:28 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    wrote:

    > riprap is just a bunch of large rocks that holds everything in place.

    Riprap is used to reduce erosion, not to "hold" everything in place.

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riprap>

    jc

    ~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA

    JC Dill, Dec 16, 2006
  11. Annika1980 wrote:
    > John McWilliams wrote:
    >> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/68991359 ----- question for Brett on
    >> this one: What is the line of rock rubble in the foreground?

    > Riprap.
    >
    > On top of Raccoon Mountain is a manmade reservoir. The narrow road
    > that circles the reservoir has riprap on both sides. On one side you
    > have a lake, on the other a cliff that drops down into the Tennessee
    > River Gorge. The riprap is just a bunch of large rocks that holds
    > everything in place.

    Ah. So the lake was at your back. I'm quite familiar with rip rap, but
    seeing the only water in the frame was quite a bit removed, I wondered
    whether it might have been a moraine, although it somehow looked man made.

    Thanks.

    John

    John McWilliams, Dec 16, 2006
  12. Annika1980

    Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:43:16 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >On 15 Dec 2006 22:10:28 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >> riprap is just a bunch of large rocks that holds everything in place.

    >Riprap is used to reduce erosion, not to "hold" everything in place.
    >
    ><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riprap>
    >
    >jc

    Riprap recuces erosion by holding everything in place. Wassamatta you?

    , Dec 16, 2006
  13. Annika1980

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:50:40 -0600, wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:43:16 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 15 Dec 2006 22:10:28 -0800, "Annika1980" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>> riprap is just a bunch of large rocks that holds everything in place.

    >>Riprap is used to reduce erosion, not to "hold" everything in place.
    >>
    >><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riprap>
    >>
    >>jc

    >Riprap recuces erosion by holding everything in place. Wassamatta you?

    When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?

    Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    place" involved.

    JC Dill, Dec 17, 2006
  14. Annika1980

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:00:02 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 15:50:40 -0600, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 07:43:16 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >>>Riprap is used to reduce erosion, not to "hold" everything in place.
    >>>
    >>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riprap>
    >>>
    >>>jc

    >>Riprap recuces erosion by holding everything in place. Wassamatta you?

    >When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    >together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?
    >
    >Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >place" involved.
    >
    >jc

    Very close. :)
    Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    underlaying material.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 17, 2006
  15. "Annika1980" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Hard to believe that the Holiday Season is already upon us and
    > Christmas is only (YIKES!) 10 days away. Have you been naughty or nice
    >
    > this year? And what do you hope will be under your tree?
    >
    > Mr. Divs knows that it's never too late to try to influence Santa:

    I'd like to see a Pentax K10D under the Christmas tree, but that's not gonna
    happen. ;-(

    Fredrik Nilsson, Dec 17, 2006
  16. Annika1980

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/17/06 7:59 AM, in article ,
    "Bill Funk" <> wrote:

    > On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:00:02 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >>> Riprap recuces erosion by holding everything in place. Wassamatta you?

    >> When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    >> together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?
    >>
    >> Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >> underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >> place" involved.
    >>
    >> jc

    > Very close. :)
    > Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    > underlaying material.

    Bingo! We have a winnnah!

    George Kerby, Dec 17, 2006
  17. Final on Rip Rap was Re: HAVE YOU

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 12/17/06 7:59 AM, in article ,
    > "Bill Funk" <> wrote:

    >>> Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >>> underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >>> place" involved.
    >>>
    >>> jc

    >> Very close. :)
    >> Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    >> underlaying material.

    > Bingo! We have a winnnah!

    Thanks for that. I was wondering why neither earlier definition sounded
    complete. I used to just think it kept the waves, wakes, and rain from
    washing away the underlying sand, dirt, smaller rock etc. Now I know!

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Dec 17, 2006
  18. Annika1980

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:36:48 -0600, George Kerby
    <> wrote:

    >On 12/17/06 7:59 AM, in article ,
    >"Bill Funk" <> wrote:

    >>> When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    >>> together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?
    >>>
    >>> Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >>> underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >>> place" involved.
    >>>
    >>> jc

    >> Very close. :)
    >> Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    >> underlaying material.

    >Bingo! We have a winnnah!

    What do I win!!??
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 17, 2006
  19. Annika1980

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 06:59:53 -0700, Bill Funk <>
    wrote:

    >>>Riprap recuces erosion by holding everything in place. Wassamatta you?

    >>When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    >>together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?
    >>
    >>Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >>underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >>place" involved.
    >>
    >>jc

    >Very close. :)
    >Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    >underlaying material.

    Well yes, riprap isn't waterproof. But my point is that riprap no
    more "holds everything in place" than a rain jacket does. The
    underlying thing (a person inside the rain jacket, or a dam or bank
    under the riprap) has to be structurally sound and "hold everything in
    place" without the riprap.

    The difference is important. Many people mistakenly think that they
    can just heap up dirt and cover it with riprap and it works like the
    banks and dams they see - which of course it doesn't. So then their
    bank or dam fails when too much pressure is put on it or it becomes
    waterlogged. Riprap only stops (or rather slows) *erosion*, other
    water effects (weight of the water behind a dam, soaked soil from
    heavy rain) will still effect the structure under the riprap.

    JC Dill, Dec 17, 2006
  20. Annika1980

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 15:49:48 -0800, JC Dill <> wrote:

    >>>When you put a rain jacket on, does the jacket hold your body
    >>>together? Or does it just keep the rain off your body?
    >>>
    >>>Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the material
    >>>underneath that would otherwise be eroded. There's no "holding in
    >>>place" involved.
    >>>
    >>>jc

    >>Very close. :)
    >>Riprap isn't waterproof; it reduces the hydraulic pressure on the
    >>underlaying material.

    >Well yes, riprap isn't waterproof. But my point is that riprap no
    >more "holds everything in place" than a rain jacket does. The
    >underlying thing (a person inside the rain jacket, or a dam or bank
    >under the riprap) has to be structurally sound and "hold everything in
    >place" without the riprap.
    >
    >The difference is important. Many people mistakenly think that they
    >can just heap up dirt and cover it with riprap and it works like the
    >banks and dams they see - which of course it doesn't. So then their
    >bank or dam fails when too much pressure is put on it or it becomes
    >waterlogged. Riprap only stops (or rather slows) *erosion*, other
    >water effects (weight of the water behind a dam, soaked soil from
    >heavy rain) will still effect the structure under the riprap.
    >
    >jc

    Please; you were wrong.
    You said, "Riprap reduces erosion by keeping the water off the
    material underneath that would otherwise be eroded." It doesn't.
    This is important because, as you point out above, it affects directly
    the application of riprap.
    I corrected that, with no rudeness at all.
    If you're lucky, you learn something new every day.
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"

    Bill Funk, Dec 18, 2006