    than it is worth?

    TIA again...

    Sylvia M

    Sylvia M, May 4, 2006

  2. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    "Sylvia M" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    > almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    > Is it a free download from Microsoft?
    >
    > Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    > than it is worth?
    >
    > TIA again...
    >
    > Sylvia M

    Ummm....sorry, I was referring to downloading SP, 1 or 2.

    S.M.

    Sylvia M, May 4, 2006

  3. Sylvia M

    Trax Guest

    "Sylvia M" <> wrote:

    |>"Sylvia M" <> wrote in message
    |>>I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    |>> almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    |>>
    |>> Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    |>> Is it a free download from Microsoft?
    |>>
    |>> Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    |>> than it is worth?
    |>>
    |>> TIA again...
    |>>
    |>> Sylvia M
    |>Ummm....sorry, I was referring to downloading SP, 1 or 2.

    Got time to read a bit?
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2chngs.mspx

    Explains changed SP2 will provide.

    Outdated in some areas tho :)
    "Additionally, better user controls and user interfaces are provided
    that help prevent malicious ActiveX® controls and spyware from running
    on customers’ systems without their knowledge and consent."

    --
    *..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
    ¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

    Trax, May 4, 2006
  4. Sylvia M

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Sylvia M" <> wrote:

    >I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    >almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    >
    >Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    >Is it a free download from Microsoft?
    >
    >Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    >than it is worth?
    >
    >TIA again...
    >
    >Sylvia M

    SP2 is pretty much *essential* if you are going to use your computer
    on the Internet.

    There are a number of malware items that exploit the vulnerabilities
    that were patched by the Windows XP service packs. If you do not
    install SP2 then you could be susceptible to these exploits, even with
    antivirus and firewall in place.

    SP2 is cumulative, and includes everything in SP1 so there is no need
    to install SP1 separately.

    Windows XP Service Pack 2 complete download:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...BE-3B8E-4F30-8245-9E368D3CDB5A&displaylang=en

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    And after you have Service Pack 2 installed there are over 20
    additional critical updates that you will also need to download and
    install via the Windows Update site in order to keep your Windows XP
    up to date and secure.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, May 4, 2006
  5. Sylvia M

    Ron Martell Guest

    Re: yah, am i mental?

    Ron Martell <>, the piss-stained pauper and chunky
    canned-fruit who likes inventive pappy slappin' with yaks, and whose
    partner is an one-way-girl with a withering nappy canoe, wrote in

    Ron Martell, May 4, 2006
  6. Sylvia M

    Jimchip Guest

    On 2006-05-04, Sylvia M <> wrote:
    > I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    > almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    > Is it a free download from Microsoft?

    It will keep you current for later updates that may be necessary and it does
    fix a lot of security problems. It is a free download.

    > Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    > than it is worth?

    SP doesn't do anything bad or break your system. After you have SP2
    installed then you can read about the other offerings and see if you need or
    want them but SP2 should be the baseline you work from.

    --
    Don't download IE7

    Jimchip, May 5, 2006
  7. Sylvia M

    Peaches Guest

    "Sylvia M" <> wrote in message
    >I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    > almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    > Is it a free download from Microsoft?
    >
    > Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    > than it is worth?
    >
    > TIA again...
    >
    > Sylvia M

    Unless it is actually listed as an option in a windows update, then
    do not install (from a disk? etc) until it is listed!
    XP has to be "readied" for SP2, so the easiest way of knowing is
    to perform a Windows Update scan, when complete, if your XP
    set-up is ready then SP2 will be listed an "optional" update.
    If you perform a scan, and SP2 is Not listed as an optional update,
    then the "optional" updates that are listed - will "ready" your XP
    set-up for SP2 if you then so desire!

    Noted you have MCE.
    Just a note for anyone else reading, but the bane of downloads -
    the dreaded DRM has been dealt a blow in the French courts:
    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2152812/french-drm-ruling-spark

    This ruling could apply to any propriatary file format that restricts
    usage, in this example, Apple and Itunes, whereby downloads from
    Itunes are restricted to only playback on the over-rated iPod........

    Peaches, May 5, 2006
  8. Sylvia M

    Billy Bong Guest

    "Peaches" <> wrote in message

    > "Sylvia M" <> wrote in message
    >>I have XPMedia Center 2005, and after a month, I'm finally
    >> almost adjusted, coming from Windows 98 SE.
    >>
    >> Are there some differences that make my XP worth upgrading?
    >> Is it a free download from Microsoft?
    >>
    >> Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    >> than it is worth?
    >>
    >> TIA again...
    >>
    >> Sylvia M

    > Unless it is actually listed as an option in a windows update, then
    > do not install (from a disk? etc) until it is listed!
    > XP has to be "readied" for SP2, so the easiest way of knowing is
    > to perform a Windows Update scan, when complete, if your XP
    > set-up is ready then SP2 will be listed an "optional" update.
    > If you perform a scan, and SP2 is Not listed as an optional update,
    > then the "optional" updates that are listed - will "ready" your XP
    > set-up for SP2 if you then so desire!
    >
    > Noted you have MCE.
    > Just a note for anyone else reading, but the bane of downloads -
    > the dreaded DRM has been dealt a blow in the French courts:
    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2152812/french-drm-ruling-spark
    >
    > This ruling could apply to any propriatary file format that restricts
    > usage, in this example, Apple and Itunes, whereby downloads from
    > Itunes are restricted to only playback on the over-rated iPod........

    This is almost certain to have the pompous Sarah from Oxford posting a reply
    as anything Mac
    will get her gander up. So Maggot when you do post it will be interesting to
    read your views of
    why mac and steve jobs wants to have windows software loading on the mac.
    but we windozers
    are not that interested in having OS X on our PC's?

    Billy Bong, May 5, 2006
  9. Sylvia M

    Plato Guest

    Plato, May 5, 2006
  10. Sylvia M

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Billy Bong
    <> wrote:

    > So Maggot when you do post it will be interesting to
    > read your views of
    > why mac and steve jobs wants to have windows software loading on the mac.
    > but we windozers
    > are not that interested in having OS X on our PC's?

    Because people are often told they need to buy Windows?

    It's not that Mac users NEED to use Windows -- Apple is just taking
    advantage of the opportunity to remove that reason NOT to buy Mac.
    So now, people who use Windows but might consider switching, can rest
    comfortably knowing they will be able to use both.

    Mitch, May 5, 2006
  11. Sylvia M

    Sylvia M Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Sylvia M wrote:
    >>
    >> Do I... would you... really want it, or might it be more trouble
    >> than it is worth?

    > http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#1

    Thanks, all.
    I now have SP2 installed. Can't see much difference, but that is a good
    thing ;-)
    I see that it's mainly more protection, and given ms, its also a good
    thing..
    A couple of tweeks in Word might help, or at least not hurt.

    Again, thanks All

    Sylvia M.

    Sylvia M, May 7, 2006